Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just found this plug on the floor of the car. I am very impressed that the SC would change an MCU plug rather than adding an adaptor. Unless this was on the new MCU and discarded.View attachment 566771
This plug is for all the mcu. Wires get relocated so changing it is not really necessary. I have one of those plugs on my desk if yours wants to join a plug when it feels lonely.

I have a 2014 P85D (ap1), scheduled to get MCU2 with new screen or screens in the morning. Pumped!

I'm anxious to hear your MCU 2.0 feedback since I have a fully loaded 2015 P85D+ with a pokey and frequently "hanging" MCU 1.0.

Please test "Tesla Waze" Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information to see if it works on a long commute... and doesn't bog down your new MCU 2.0 like my MCU 1.0 does. Sometimes my MCU 1.0 will stop playing music, not make any sound when I select turn signals, or the navigation will completely go silent or even freeze. I'm not stressing since I got the 4-year Tesla Extended Service Plan... but would gladly spend $2,500 to get livable MCU speeds on my Ludicrous fast P85D+.

Last edited:
Service center helpfully canceled my Aug 3 appointment and told me to reschedule after parts arrive - so it sounds like they aren’t expecting anything soon.

My service center was better. They just kept pushing it out a week at a time. And kept apologizing for the delays. Minneapolis. With all the complaints we keep hearing, I've never had an unpleasant interaction with them.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm anxious to hear your MCU 2.0 feedback since I have a fully loaded 2015 P85D+ with a pokey and frequently "hanging" MCU 1.0.

Please test "Tesla Waze" Tesla Traffic Incidents and Information to see if it works on a long commute... and doesn't bog down your new MCU 2.0 like my MCU 1.0 does. Sometimes my MCU 1.0 will stop playing music, not make any sound when I select turn signals, or the navigation will completely go silent or even freeze. I'm not stressing since I got the 4-year Tesla Extended Service Plan... but would gladly spend $2,500 to get livable MCU speeds on my Ludicrous fast P85D+.

I am also interested in the MCU2 processing speed using Tesla Waze... it's the main reason for considering an upgrade to my MCU1 car. :cool:

Reactions: BrokerDon

My teslawaze was flaky till I upgraded to a new eMMC chip, on the same version of firmware I got consistent teslawaze performance after the mcu1 chip upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
Ok, so I spent a few minutes going between MCU1 (with brand new, fast emmc) and MCU2 (2 years old) cars comparing performance. Here is what I found:
  1. UI speed, the time it takes for menu windows such as controls or climate to show up, almost indistinguishable between the two MCUs (I'd have to video and count frames, which I'm not willing to spend time on)
  2. Map scroling - the actual speed with which I can move the map around is similar, map lags begind the finger a little more on MCU1, but it took going back and forth between cars to notice that MCU2 is faster
  3. Map refill - you can definitely see the difference there, I had both cars on WiFi (MCU1 on 2.4GHz and MCU2 on 5GHz so faster max speed). MCU1 took 2-3x the time to refill the map with new information - on MCU2 is was usually under a second to refill, on MCU1 between 1-2 seconds, more if I scrolled fast to a whole new area. At speed on a highway however, even very zoomed auto-scroll fills in seamlessly following the car's location.
  4. Media player - both have responsive UI (see #1 above) except MCU2 took longer to switch between streaming channels. MCU1 took less than a second to start streaming new selection, while MCU sat there spinning the wheel for 2-3 seconds - maybe it caches more before it starts streaming, or maybe a different media player built on new towers of abstraction web tech on MCU2?
  5. Browser - here is where you see the biggest difference. MCU2 is way faster, though not as fast as an iPad or premium Android device. MCU2 is at least 3-4 times faster to load pages like Tesla.com (neither is iPad fast). Google.com loads in 1-2 seconds on MCU1, under a second on MCU2. I guess the good news is that MCU1 browser does work with new emmc. It loaded tesla waze in 3-4 seconds - very usable while driving.
So, for me personally, MCU2 for $2,500 is definitely not worth the money. It would be cheaper to buy a premium tablet with cellular data to keep myself entertained while supercharging, than upgrade to MCU2 (even assuming free premium data would stay). Of course, worth is always relative "to whom", so everyone makes their own decisions on that.

whitex, this comparison is amazing. Definitely thank you for spending the time doing this. I definitely don't think MCU2 is worth it. I will be sending my MCU1 to Tony to get the eMMC upgraded, and call it a day.

My service center was better. They just kept pushing it out a week at a time. And kept apologizing for the delays. Minneapolis. With all the complaints we keep hearing, I've never had an unpleasant interaction with them.
Same with Scottsdale Az, they pushed it out 3-4 times eventually taking 5 weeks to get the parts. But their communication was proactive and clear, plus they did the upgrade in a single day while I waited. I rate them four stars (would be five if they didn't have the delays getting mcu2).