Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owings Mills, MD service center ordered parts for MCU2/HW3 upgrade form MCU1/AP2 on 6/30/20 and as of today shipping status is still pending. Does that seem to be a widespread issue?

My reman MCU1 fix took over 2 weeks for the order to arrive there. Sorry about that. Also, make sure to check that your phone app works to open doors and keyless drive before you leave that service center. I

Reactions: Gt1948
Hey @Akikiki , on a slight tangent on this thread, saw on teslatap, that you tried out the new repeater sidecams AP 2.5/3.0 vs the original AP2.0 repeater cameras. Do you feel its worth replacing the side cameras? Asking as I have an AP2.0 car that I recently upgraded to AP3.0/MCU2, but the cameras are still the old ones. TIA
Honolulu SC just completed my MCU2 Upgrade

he talks about it here

• Informative
Reactions: drew.c
Just to update everyone.
2017 Model S 75D with AP2 upgrading to MCU2 and FSD. Today marks the 6th day in the service center and they are nowhere close to complete. They keep telling me they continue to run into firmware issues.

Costa Mesa service center.

Oh no, just got a note today from the service rep, my car is now on engineering hold and they assigned a loaner to me. feels like to me its going to be a while before I can get my car back :(

Oh no, just got a note today from the service rep, my car is now on engineering hold and they assigned a loaner to me. feels like to me its going to be a while before I can get my car back :(

Thanks for the update. Sometimes being on the "bleeding edge" of technology can be painful. I'm hoping Tesla's Costa Mesa Service Center gets this figured out soon so I can upgrade my 2015 P85D+ frequently sluggish MCU1 to a MCU2 before my MCU 1 dies (which would be covered under my 4-year Tesla Extended Service Agreement Extended Service Agreement (less my $200 deductible of course).

Reactions: FlatSix911
Ok folks, my MCU died this week on my 2015 MS. I just got word from Tesla it's a 1-2 month wait for a rebuilt MCU1 or I can pay $2500 for a new MCU2. The car is still under Tesla's 4 year CPO warranty.

Has anyone gotten a new MCU2 for less than $2500 when the original MCU1 died under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Ok folks, my MCU died this week on my 2015 MS. I just got word from Tesla it's a 1-2 month wait for a rebuilt MCU1 or I can pay $2500 for a new MCU2. The car is still under Tesla's 4 year CPO warranty.

Has anyone gotten a new MCU2 for less than $2500 when the original MCU1 died under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Lol. Sounds like you are SOL. Beg them for a loaner and rack up miles on it for 2 months

Reactions: Fiver
I agree with Mike. We are finally seeing Tesla offer MCU2's to people with failed MCU1 - REGARDLESS of YEAR of car. Yes, they are offering MCU2 to AP1 and Pre-AP that have failed MCU1's. Sounds like a great idea considering shortages of MCU1.

Anyone with failed MCU1 might want to consider MCU2's. There's been a shortage of re-manufactured MCU1s for about two months now.
I just my predictions, but now that we are seeing more MCU2's available. Think about it, every MCU2 installed frees up another MCU1 core that goes back for re-manufacture. Its still going to take a couple of months before we see the MCU1 re-manufactured stock catch up to the backlog. Maybe two months or more.

Always wonder why some SC's have issues with the settings and firmware and configuration and all. Mine was painless (back in March). Is there some real reason why every SC that does this shouldn't have the same documentation and process and once the mechanical part is done, it should be, do this and that and then this (with the toolbox or whatever) and it works? Or am I missing something? Serious question.

I have received an estimate for my MX FSD retrofit. one of the line items reads "Full Self-Driving Computer and E-Speaker Retrofit".

Does anyone know anything about "E-Speaker Retrofit" or received one? I never heard of it before. it appears to be bundled with Full Self-Driving HW3 upgrade.

@captjoemcd, If it eases your mind, SC likely would not do it. Right or wrong, make sense or not, they have policies against doing mods that disrupt or change the car's configuration. They don't want to deal with changes to the cars. That's the reason that they would not activate my digital tuner - even though later in same year cars have digital tuner and active radio in the configuration.