Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2016 S AP2.0/MCU1 is in for the AP3/MCU2 for the upgrade. Phone sends me a lot of "software update is available" messages from the Tesla app - sounds like they are trying to update the firmware several times. Wonder if it will take longer than a day? Any experience how long it took?

my 2016 S AP2.0/MCU1 is in for the AP3/MCU2 for the upgrade. Phone sends me a lot of "software update is available" messages from the Tesla app - sounds like they are trying to update the firmware several times. Wonder if it will take longer than a day? Any experience how long it took?

hey cybergates
I am in so cal as well. Did you receive an invitation for the infotainment upgrade or did you just request it?
Thanks

I don't mind the notifications - I'm curious if they are having any kind of software trouble or is that normal? Just curious, I should just sit back and be patient and I'm sure they'll have it ready soon....
I got a couple, and at various times my car wasn’t accessible in the app... then at one point it came back and I could see the doors and trunk open

• Informative
Reactions: cybergates
It wasn't there when I had my MCU2 done, but there is now a specific request process in the Tesla app for the infotainment upgrade. You can find it under Service>Hardware Upgrades>Infotainment Upgrade.
IMG_2135.png

My car was in for mcu1/hw 3 update. I picked up and it drove back fine. Then the car went into service mode by itself. Had to take it back to SC. Been there since Monday. I keep getting software notification on my phone as well

• Informative
Just had my 12/2016 Model S upgraded to MCU2 and FSD. Has anyone had an issue with the 5GHz wifi not working? Searching didn't provide any results. 2.4GHz works just fine. The car is going back to the SC next week if I can't find a solution. I tried all resets to no avail.

Is your 5GHz SSID hidden? The manual says it is supposed to be able to connect to a hidden SSID but mine initially would not. My 1/17 Model S had the same MCU2/HW3 upgrade a few weeks ago. My wireless router has 5GHz and 2.4GHz radios. I have one of my 2.4GHz SSID's not hidden and my car connected with no problem after entering the password. I have my 5GHz radio set to hide the SSID. It did not see my 5GHz SSID as expected so I tried entering the settings manually and it did not connect. I had rebooted my car using the 'double scroll wheel press', tried again entering the connection settings manually, and it did not connect. I had to unhide my routers 5GHz SSID and then it let me connect. I was then able to hide the SSID and it still is connected.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Side note regarding hidden SSID -

Sense of security
Hiding the network name may prevent less technically inclined people from connecting to the network, but will not deter a determined adversary. Use of WPA or WPA2 is recommended instead. Hiding the SSID removes it from beacon frames, but this is only one of several ways an SSID can be discovered.[1] When one chooses to hide the network name from the router's setup page, that only sets the SSID in the beacon frame to null, but there remain four other ways that the SSID is transmitted. In fact, hiding broadcast of the SSID on the router may cause the Network interface controller (NIC) to constantly disclose the SSID, even when out of range

Side note regarding hidden SSID -

Sense of security
Hiding the network name may prevent less technically inclined people from connecting to the network, but will not deter a determined adversary. Use of WPA or WPA2 is recommended instead. Hiding the SSID removes it from beacon frames, but this is only one of several ways an SSID can be discovered.[1] When one chooses to hide the network name from the router's setup page, that only sets the SSID in the beacon frame to null, but there remain four other ways that the SSID is transmitted. In fact, hiding broadcast of the SSID on the router may cause the Network interface controller (NIC) to constantly disclose the SSID, even when out of range
Indeed, it’s a worthless security measure. Has about the same effect as setting the SSID to “hidden network”.

EDIT: They ended up finishing it right before 4:30/5 so car was available to pick up same day/after hours. After picking it up, I was expecting to have to wait to use autopilot due to calibration (It did take 15 minutes when the family members Model 3 was upgraded from AP2.5->3) -- but no wait for calibration, either they must have drove it a bit or somehow it was already calibrated so that was cool. I didn't lose anything from memory unlike the 3's upgrade where seat memories were lost - I did lose all bluetooth pairings - not a big deal.

OVERALL Impression: Just Awesome! They did replace the screen. (The so-called "A" in the parts requested. I wasn't given an option to save $250 but I would get it replaced as it definitely seems bright and more vibrant/high res esp backup cam?

EDIT: as mentioned below MCU2 is the $2500 and AP3 is separate, so will review separately

MCU2: PROS: You do have to be a bit of a tech nerd to appreciate it for the $2500 dollars spent : main highlights for me are faster and more responsive navigation and menu/screen Netflix! This was the feature I was looking forward to and it didn't disappoint. It will go full screen with large black bars above and below the video but you are getting an Ipad 10" comparable viewing area so not bad. and they got clever with the games and netflix navigation to use the whole screen for the menus etc. Snappy overall. Browser working finally! Probably same speed for Browser and Netflix as model 3 - i.e. don't expect an 8 core i7 performance - but good enough and night and day to the old dysfunctional browser. Dashcam - seems like it will work, I will need to go try out a USB stick etc. Backup cam seems more high res. Sound system didnt' seem any different to me but I have the standard sound (sounds like premium sound cars got better sound out of this). CONS: No FM/AM - but I knew this and I use the built in streaming for most of my music and I suppose I iheartradio app via bluetooth from iPhone should work? as most of the LA stations are on iHeartRadio.

AP3: smoother autopilot, more confident (not wavy in lanes), better lane changing, object (Trashcan) and stop sign/signal detection - though like the 3's upgrade I need to connect to wifi (also lost settings there) - and get the map upgrade. I'm expecting that will work just like it does in the 3 once the maps are downloaded and then I'll be able to toggle that switch for stop sign and light detection ON. And the best part - the car is ready for any future AP3 upgrades that Elon decides to roll out or the AP re-write etc. The car is essentially as technologically current as a new S despite being nearly 3.5 years old (ok, the side markers cams are b/w and not color).

If ur someone that doesn't watch youtube/netflix/hulu while supercharging or eating the car - or someone who doesn't use use the browser, this upgrade (MCU2) won't be worth it for you. Likewise it goes without saying if you dont use autopilot, then AP3 isnt going to make any sense for FSD. ( I can think of a few friends I have who basically just drive the car and never use Autopilot or any of the entertainment features so for them this would be a waste of money).

Overall the MCU2 upgrade concept is mind-blowing overall in that we went from thinking a year or two ago this was never going to happen for us Ap2/MCU1 cars and just a pipe dream......and now it's actually being done! What kind of car company offers HW upgrades for those who want it let alone software upgrades!! Elon - simply awesome that you were able to offer this!

hey cybergates
I am in so cal as well. Did you receive an invitation for the infotainment upgrade or did you just request it?
Thanks

I requested it thru the app - see post above how to request in the App - took about a month for the parts to arrive. I had to reschedule. In the comments indicate you want MCU2 (Infotainment upgrade) and AP3 (in this case I had paid for FSD when I bought the S)

Last edited:
You do have to be a bit of a tech nerd to appreciate it for the $2500 dollars spent : main highlights for me are smoother autopilot, more confident (not wavy in lanes), better lane changing, object (Trashcan) and stop sign/signal detection

Technically that is mainly from the AP3 upgrade, which costs $8,000 not the Infotainment upgrade.

Technically that is mainly from the AP3 upgrade, which costs $8,000 not the Infotainment upgrade.

true - but I had paid for the FSD at purchase already in 2016 - so that money was already spent. EDIT: I'll break up my review into MCU2 and AP3 separate paragraphs!

Has anyone done just an AP3 upgrade and leave MCU1 as-is (which could have the downside of the dreaded eMMC corruption I'm hearing about - so maybe better to get both done?) Is that even being offered right now? Likewise am I hearing that MCU1->2 will come with the AP2->3 H/w installed - so just a matter of paying for FSD to get the features enabled if you didn't at purchase?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V