Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't believe I need to post this link again: Infotainment Upgrade

Tesla clearly stating ALL cars will be eligible for the update.

Well in Canada that page is nowhere to be found by clicking on support:
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.19.45 PM.png

but when I click on that link it shows me it, and I am able to search and find it, but Tesla does not want us to see it quite yet it seems....
and US exchange right now is 1.33, but 2500 x 1.4 = $3500

Im in no hurry to pay $3500 for Netflix while supercharging....

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.12.29 PM.png

Hey guys,
I just spoke to tesla service in Mississauga, ON and they are saying the AP2.5 upgrade to MCU kit does NOT include the IC2 upgrade. Is that correct? I kept insisting that I have been reading that the IC also gets upgraded, but the service rep kept claiming that is only the case if you have a pre-AP MCU1/AP1 MCU car. Is that right?
Thanks
V
Not correct. Got the upgrade and I had to call them back (mobile service) to take the film off the new IC screen they didn't remove before putting the dashboard back on.

• Informative
Reactions: vraev and blodg1
Not correct. Got the upgrade and I had to call them back (mobile service) to take the film off the new IC screen they didn't remove before putting the dashboard back on.
I swear there is still film on my new IC. I wiped it when I picked the car up and now it has a lot of scratches... Edit: Just touched a hidden edge with a dental pick and found the same issue.
IMG_2136.jpeg

Last edited:
Well in Canada that page is nowhere to be found by clicking on support:
View attachment 570346

but when I click on that link it shows me it, and I am able to search and find it, but Tesla does not want us to see it quite yet it seems....
and US exchange right now is 1.33, but 2500 x 1.4 = $3500

Im in no hurry to pay $3500 for Netflix while supercharging....

View attachment 570345
I’m with you. There’s really not much to be gained for us AP1 (and pre-AP) owners. There could be a point in the future where McU 2 gets some features that make it worthwhile. But nothing compelling now.

Thanks guys. I already emailed the service rep and specified to him that I am sure the IC2 will need to be replaced. He was really confident on the phone though...lol. He did specify at this point they are only taking orders and booking people in queue. They haven't actually started doing the upgrades. So maybe he will find out once they actually start with the upgrades.

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
@captjoemcd, Seek to elevate that to the SC Manager's boss. We've seen it before. Elevating it has solved the problem.
Yeah, the SoCal service writers cover the Bakersfield SC and frequently screw things up. I'll send the local SC manager a text in the am and he'll sort it out. More just wild bewilderment at how they're bending over backwards to make this upgrade complicated for people.

How many other times has Tesla offered upgrades? Big old 0. Service personnel would be just unfamiliar to this process. And it adds to the confusion because because installation cost/labor is included. Please, cut 'em some slack. They will figure it out. Us "first-ers" (is that even a word) are almost always the beneficiary of the confusion.

My pappy used to say, never piss off the people that fix your car or bring you your food, when you can avoid doing so. Not worth it in the long run.

Last edited:
Did I get this right? If I pay for the MCU2 upgrade for my 2017 S90D with AP2 and EAP, Tesla will upgrade me from AP2 to the FSD computer as well?

And I'll save $250 if I keep my screen? I park indoors and Seattle has very little sun so the yellowing UV issue hasn't been a big deal for me.

$2250 for working Sentry mode and camera recording is pretty intriguing. And if Elon ever does get full FSD working, then I could upgrade OTA as well. I could also get my jetpack and cold fusion reactor at the same time. ;)

I can also confirm that this is the case for me. I have MCU1 + AP2.0 with EAD (no FSD) and got MCU2 + HW3 for $2250+tax. I didn't want to wait for a new screen so I just asked them to UV treat my old screen which has faint yellow borders. Now dashcam is working. I agree with you that this is a good deal.

Reactions: Akikiki
Such bs that people are reporting getting parts in 15 days now. I’ve been waiting since June 8th and parts still haven’t delivered. Santa Clara, CA
Same here.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874561-00-A
Order Date: June 8, 2020
Ship Date: Pending

I'm a patient man but this is starting to get frustrating. It is possible the ones who got the parts faster were due to the SC ordering the "B" part and either not doing the screen or sourcing it separately. I'm debating setting a separate appointment just for the AP 3.0 but would prefer to make one SC visit.

How many other times has Tesla offered upgrades? Big old 0. Service personnel would be just unfamiliar to this process. And it adds to the confusion because because installation cost/labor is included. Please, cut 'em some slack. They will figure it out. Us "first-ers" (is that even a word) are almost always the beneficiary of the confusion.

I'm as big as a Tesla fanboy as they come, service included (my SC manager dropped off one of the repeater cams at my house within an hour of me texting him to see if they had one in stock, I love my local SC). While I agree that upgrades are new, writing service tickets is something they've got tons of experience with.

As someone who used to run an auto shop and now develops software/DBs for CRM and inventory management, I'm legitimately curious how they have the wild variation in building these estimates/tickets. Yes, there's human interaction to read the service request to decide which job needs to be done. From there, it should be selecting a specific job in their system, with parts and labor already built, specific to the VIN of the requesting customer. We used to have a hard copy book for this, now it's all built in a database. This job is 100 years old, and its been done with software for at least the last 30... and this estimate is a single part number.

my posts probably came off as actually being upset. I'm still super thrilled about the upgrade for my wife's car after getting mine done two weeks ago, and I'm not worried at all about getting the labor taken off.

... From there, it should be selecting a specific job in their system, with parts and labor already built, specific to the VIN of the requesting customer. We used to have a hard copy book for this, now it's all built in a database. This job is 100 years old, and its been done with software for at least the last 30... and this estimate is a single part number. ...
Well some variations of part numbers based on AP version (1,2.0,2.5) or with or without the new display screen but you are 100% right that with a VIN number look up they should all have consistent short descriptions as well as invoice descriptions.

LzU6AnZ.jpg