Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome feedback!

I'm looking forward to getting this upgrade on my 2015 P85D too!

Questions:
  1. How did you order it?
    • Tesla app (Service)?
    • If so, what category?
    • Any special notes in your service?
  2. How long was the wait for the parts?
  3. How long did the installation take?
  4. Any "downside" issues to the MCU2 upgrade besides AM FM & Sirius (which I don't use)?
1. just specifically asked for the mcu2 upgrade as an "other" then "something else" I see you can now pick it as a service option "infotainment upgrade"
2. about 2 weeks same for wait time for the appointment itself
3. basically 1.5 days
4. zero totally awesome all around

Just got confirmation last night that the part has been ordered for my 14 S P85D. With no screen, appointment is set for 07-28!

I’ll make a video of all the screens, menus, and apps before and after and post it when the install is complete.

After a little delay, I got confirmation that the parts have arrived at the SC for my appointment and I'm scheduled for 08-06-20.
I'll report back when it's done but it make take a bit as I'm scheduled to have the Front Drive Unit Replaced at the same time.

Reactions: Evee and Akikiki
I hope they refund the customers who are still under warranty and paid $2500
What's wrong with Tesla owners? Under what other circumstances is it normal to go to the store and get refund for a previous purchase, because the store reduced the price?

Tesla has never refunded before, and will not refund this time either.

What's wrong with Tesla owners? Under what other circumstances is it normal to go to the store and get refund for a previous purchase, because the store reduced the price?

Tesla has never refunded before, and will not refund this time either.

It's routine in the US to give refunds for price changes during return periods. Tesla doesn't really have returns but it also builds goodwill with your customer not to jack with prices.

Finally, Tesla has done refunds in the past for price changes. Early model 3P buyers got 5k refunds for performance package becoming standard.

1. just specifically asked for the mcu2 upgrade as an "other" then "something else" I see you can now pick it as a service option "infotainment upgrade"
2. about 2 weeks same for wait time for the appointment itself
3. basically 1.5 days
4. zero totally awesome all around

Thanks! Great info!

Can you post your upgrade invoice from Tesla so we can see what parts were included, parts prices, etc. This will be helpful for TMC members whose Tesla Service Center says the "MCU2 upgrade isn't available yet".

Thanks! Great info!

Can you post your upgrade invoice from Tesla so we can see what parts were included, parts prices, etc. This will be helpful for TMC members whose Tesla Service Center says the "MCU2 upgrade isn't available yet".
B0B44B77-9854-4AAA-B5E8-BAA40D7593F0.png

also noticed the camera view is indeed darker at night. Probably can be adjusted with software.

It's routine in the US to give refunds for price changes during return periods. Tesla doesn't really have returns but it also builds goodwill with your customer not to jack with prices.

Finally, Tesla has done refunds in the past for price changes. Early model 3P buyers got 5k refunds for performance package becoming standard.

It is also not uncommon for auto manufacturers to reimburse repair/replacement costs retroactively of components directly stated in a proceeding recall. For instance, Toyota had a recall on the hybrid brake pump/actuator and allowed for reimbursements for those who had the part replaced before the recall was issued.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
also noticed the camera view is indeed darker at night. Probably can be adjusted with software.

Maybe we need MUCH brighter LED back up lights. I just installed some 1,700 lumen back up LEDs in our Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter) RV and they make a HUGE difference when backing up!

I know the LED license plate bulbs I bought from Abstract Ocean brightened up the rear... while using less energy and running cooler too. Plus they freshen up the rear since LEDs look more modern than the lame halogen license plate bulbs our 2015 P85D+ had originally.

LED License Plate Bulb Kit
https://www.abstractocean.com/led-license-plate-bulb-kit/

Get $10 off your first purchase of $50 or more atAbstract Ocean with this link: Accessorize your Tesla!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I swear there is still film on my new IC. I wiped it when I picked the car up and now it has a lot of scratches... Edit: Just touched a hidden edge with a dental pick and found the same issue.View attachment 570391

mine has a lot of scratches (too many too be new) in the right sun angle and I too swear there must be a film on there but I cannot find any edge to peel any film. Any thoughts on how to do this or to know for sure if a film is on IC2?

I also noticed the energy saver option is gone totally.
MCU2 doesn't have have it, or should I say it doesn't not have it, i.e. it doesn't have a low power standby mode that the MCU1 does, so the only choice is to shut it down completely when not in use and boot it back up when needed. I don't know if it's because Intel chip they chose doesn't have such a sleep mode (obviously Intel based laptops do have sleep mode, so it exists in at least some Intel chips), or because Tesla just chose not to implement the software for it, or because the Intel sleep mode was too power hungry anyways.

Another way to put it, MCU2 has energy saving mode, but no way to disable it, hence no more setting.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and Evee
mine has a lot of scratches (too many too be new) in the right sun angle and I too swear there must be a film on there but I cannot find any edge to peel any film. Any thoughts on how to do this or to know for sure if a film is on IC2?
I poked it with a dental pick under the edge of the bezel. I figured that if I was wrong, I would just scratch it where it wouldn't be noticed. When I picked at it I got one of those satisfying bubbles that expanded across the screen to the point I could pull it off as pictured.