Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its worth the wait. I have two all inclusive words to describe MCU2. It's "Merely Wonderful". compared to MCU1.

I think you two will be very happy together :)

I can't wait. I was hoping for a retrofit ever since I missed out on it by a couple of months after I took delivery of my car. The biggest features for me is the navigation system speed and web browser. My partner and I are always making decisions on restaurants/places to go on the road and it would be nice to finally use the web browser as it is intended. ON top of that, excited that I don't have to wait for 5min to get a navigation route for road trips and a repeat of that if you have to restart/change destinations. I'm super excited. I am not trying to push the service rep to see if he can also get me some graphite trim parts to replace the bezel and top dash trim. I think that would just perfect it ...and the only thing left is the sunvisors, but I can live without it. Given that I am committing to this car (finance) for the next 5y or more, I can't wait to get it up to current gen speeds.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Got my July 2017 Model S MCU1 AP2.0 upgraded to MCU2 AP3.0 in Canada. Sent in a service appointment on the app, waited 2 weeks for the parts to arrive and it took 1 day to get it done.

It is so worth it, feels like a new car. The MCU had always been a sore spot even when the car was new, laggy like the ill-fated ipad 3. After the upgrade, it is buttery smooth. The web browser works. I have the side view cameras working on reverse, and the menu option for dashcam is present (though I haven't tested that as I don't have a spare USB storage key yet). The AP3 FSD visualization preview on the screen is interesting and makes you realize just how much things have progressed. I am now back on the boat when it comes to software update and am once again all excited for each for the updates that comes out.

If you shelled out the big bucks for a vintage Model S/X back pre 2018 then the MCU2 is a no-brainer. It is like getting a new car. Seriously, just open up your app and do it.

As a added incentive, most MCU1 are on borrowed time and will fail with the flash chip issue sooner or later (mind did last year). Defuse the timebomb and get the MCU2 now instead instead of having to endure the cost and inconvenience of a failed MCU out of warranty later.

Now... I wonder when MCU3 will come.

Got my July 2017 Model S MCU1 AP2.0 upgraded to MCU2 AP3.0 in Canada. Sent in a service appointment on the app, waited 2 weeks for the parts to arrive and it took 1 day to get it done.

It is so worth it, feels like a new car. The MCU had always been a sore spot even when the car was new, laggy like the ill-fated ipad 3. After the upgrade, it is buttery smooth. The web browser works. I have the side view cameras working on reverse, and the menu option for dashcam is present (though I haven't tested that as I don't have a spare USB storage key yet). The AP3 FSD visualization preview on the screen is interesting and makes you realize just how much things have progressed. I am now back on the boat when it comes to software update and am once again all excited for each for the updates that comes out.

If you shelled out the big bucks for a vintage Model S/X back pre 2018 then the MCU2 is a no-brainer. It is like getting a new car. Seriously, just open up your app and do it.

As a added incentive, most MCU1 are on borrowed time and will fail with the flash chip issue sooner or later (mind did last year). Defuse the timebomb and get the MCU2 now instead instead of having to endure the cost and inconvenience of a failed MCU out of warranty later.

Now... I wonder when MCU3 will come.
I was all set to upgrade but then with WFH through this year and a chunk of 2021, I'm leaving my car in the garage. I'll wait until I need to drive my car again and I could postpone the warranty expiration on the MCU2. Thanks for sharing how worthwhile the upgrade is.

Reactions: Akikiki
any MCU2 upgrade folks having issue with the browser. It worked the first few times but now I just get the loading wheel and it never loads. I suppose a reboot might fix it but I wonder if this is a bug still.

Need Live video news? One other handy trick for those with the MCU2 or any model 3 owner --- youtube has several live channels : there's Abc news live (search for it in youtube) - there's also sky news live (UK). No need for Hulu subscription. Are there any other good youtube live streams to know?

I think the Wifi password is the only thing that doesn't carry over.
As has been noted several times (way above), even if all your settings were migrated, you get new radio antenna hardware, so, your wifi and bluetooth hardware addresses (MAC addresses) changed. Thus, you need to redo your wifi (home, etc.) and bluetooth (phone) connections. That's the best case. Some have had Homelink migrate successfully (mine did), others did not. Some have had no settings migrate because of issues with the process or lack of familiarity with the process on the service center side.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
My MCU1 failed on my 2017 S90D, got my MCU2 upgrade at Bellevue WA. Really positive service experience with a loaner.

I am picking it up today, I know to check mobile app is working. Anything else I should check?

I will report back later.

My MCU1 failed on my 2017 S90D, got my MCU2 upgrade at Bellevue WA. Really positive service experience with a loaner.

I am picking it up today, I know to check mobile app is working. Anything else I should check?

Ic screen protector, setting transfer, and security cert transfer are the biggies. Check homelink at home.

Since your MCU failed, expect to lose everything. I did. Only odo remained and music favorites.

My late 2017 MS mcu1 hw2.5 EAP (not FSD) was upgraded to mcu2 hw3.0 EAP in mid July. I tried to upgrade in May but was not able to as they didn’t have the parts available. In July the mcu started having worsening issues such as frozen screens, lags/delays, and non-functional voice commands. I again requested upgrade through the app and was approved. I confirmed the invoice cost ($2650 w/tax), made the SC appt, and two weeks later was installed. It only took one day to install and upgrade but they forgot to put in the new screen so it required an extra day. The SC kept me informed and was friendly and efficient. I paid for the upgrade through the app and they left the keys in the car so I could pick it up after hours. I checked remotely that I could connect with the car before picking up the car. I was given plenty of Uber credits. All data except WiFi and Bluetooth was saved.
  1. MCU2 upgrade is a significant improvement to the user interface. The menus are very responsive, the navigation maps load very quickly, and podcasts are fast to download and easy to scroll through. Voice commands are now working and almost instantaneous. The dashcam viewer is very convenient and also easy to look through footage without removing the USB device. The new ability to see the side camera views in reverse and while driving are impressive. The remote app on my Apple watch still works and connects faster. I feel like Tesla will continue to add features (hopefully 360 view, etc). I don't use the infotainment features and not why I purchased the upgrade.

2. HW3 upgrade for EAP: I had seen multiple reports of such upgrades but wasn't expecting it and very surprised when I received it. I did pay $5k for EAP years ago and nice to not have to pay another $5k for HW3. Although I won't get FSD features, I do like having the lastest software/hardware for the EAP features. I already notice differences in smart summon and lane change. I am sure there are more important improvements and safety features that I take for granted.

3. MCU screen: I read about the industrial grade versus automotive grade screen, curing issues with bubbling and then yellowing, and use of Cabin Overheat Protection to minimize damage. I plan to keep my car for quite longer, and felt it was worth $250 for the new screen with the rumored improved curing/adhesive process. It may be different for those who need immediate mcu repair and can't wait for new screen, or those on a lease or planning to buy new, or for those that are close to a SC and ok with UV repair process.

4. IC display: The traffic light and stop sign visualizations are nice but I really stopped paying attention to them after the first few days. Some people have noted the factory screen protector left on the new IC display. My display may or may not have it but looks fine right now. I am not as comfortable as some members to play with the display. I would recommend you remind the SC to remove it when you drop off the car.
Overall, the whole installation and upgrade process is quite incredible and impressive. When I first bought a Tesla, I knew there would always be improvements and price changes but never imagined Tesla to keep supporting older models in this way.

Look at this one: Model 3 HW3 brain replacement can cause temporary amnesia but Tesla Service can quickly restore your settings, all you need to know before you go | TinkerTry IT @ Home
and/or
this one: MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues | TeslaTap
Suggested MCU2 After Installation Checks
After your MCU2 has been installed, we suggest you make the following checks to ensure everything is working as expected. In some cases, you may need to pair your phone again and/or set up WiFi for your home.
  1. Confirm the FOB locks/unlocks the car.
  2. Confirm you have LTE (using the satellite image map or a website and seeing the top status shows LTE).
  3. Confirm WiFi is working.
  4. Confirm the phone app connects with the car remotely (not near the car, and you can honk or open doors remotely).
  5. Confirm Bluetooth is working – have your phone inside the car and see that your contacts have loaded and/or you can make a call inside the car.
  6. Confirm streaming audio works, and all speakers are working.
  7. Confirm both front USB ports work and can play music and/or record dashcam video.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Dropped our S off this morning. In light of the fact that our MCU has been dead for 5 months (Been sitting in our garage since COVID started) I'm resigned to the fact that I will lose all settings. Question about the Odometer, especially in light of the revised battery warranty, once the MCU is installed will the Odometer be at zero or the last known reading in Tesla's database before my MCU took a dump? Have driven it a few times around the neighborhood in those 5 months to make sure the tires don't get any flat spots, is that mileage calculated and tracked by Tesla even though my MCU was dead and not communicating with their servers?