Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dropped our S off this morning. In light of the fact that our MCU has been dead for 5 months (Been sitting in our garage since COVID started) I'm resigned to the fact that I will lose all settings. Question about the Odometer, especially in light of the revised battery warranty, once the MCU is installed will the Odometer be at zero or the last known reading in Tesla's database before my MCU took a dump? Have driven it a few times around the neighborhood in those 5 months to make sure the tires don't get any flat spots, is that mileage calculated and tracked by Tesla even though my MCU was dead and not communicating with their servers?
If the MCU’s really truly toast then there’s no way for Tesla to track those miles so it should be set at whatever their last reading was.

Reactions: dskillz
The upgrade many of us would like would be to increase the type size of some of the items on the screen. There are some items that I cannot quite read with my distance glasses. I cannot read the street names from the navigation system, the time of day, and some other items. Many others have made exactly the same complaint yet Tesla ignores the complaints. Surely that is at least as important as entertainment items. Increasing the type size by two points would completely solve the problem. Surely the type size could be increased without first discovering a new law of physics.

What does it take to get Tesla to listen to us? Would it help if we picketed show rooms?

Does anyone know if the MCU upgrade helps the sound? I have Premium sound, old MCU. Frankly, the clarity is not that great; with the Model 3, I can hear instruments that I can't hear at all in the Model S. I'm thinking to possibly upgrade to after-market speakers, but wondering if the MCU is part of the problem.

I'm posting my experience with the MCU2 upgrade (2015 P85DL AP1) in case it helps anyone :)

Background:
  • Pre-History:
    • MCU1 was showing signs of failure for a few months (i.e. rebooting every time I entered the car)
    • I think the problem was made worse beccause I had to park outside the last couple of months and it's been really hot
  • 2020-07-25:
    • While driving, I lost my Spotify connection while driving -- I parked the car, but when I returned the main touchscreen wouldn't turn on
    • I immediately drove to the Tesla Service Centre (without signal lights!), and I was surprised that they took the car in for diagnostic right away
    • After multiple attempts to revive the MCU1, it was declared dead
    • I chose to upgrade to MCU2 and they gave me a loaner car
  • 2020-07-30:
    • In the morning, I received a text saying the parts arrived and that the car might be ready later in the day if all goes well
    • I receive another text at 3PM -- the car is already done!
    • I had to redo pretty much all of the car's setup (likely because my MCU1 had already died, since people simply doing upgrades retain their settings) such as User Profile, Bluetooth connection, Homelink, Spotify Login, Sound Mixer Setting, Navigation Settings, Driving Settings, Time format, etc.

Observations/Experience with MCU2:

• Improvements:
    • Screen is now very quick/responsive
    • Navigation maps render MUCH faster, especially when zooming in/out
    • The voice-command button is now functional -- it translates my commands to text extremely well (where as before it used to be chunky and unusable)
    • Screens no longer reboot every time I enter the car
    • My iPhone apps connects to the car MUCH faster than it did before -- it only takes about 3 seconds compared to 30+ seconds and multiple attempts with MCU1
    • The web browser is now functional
    • Now have access to the new Entertainment features (Netflex, YouTube) which work great!
    • Now have access to Caraoke
    • Now have access to the more graphic-intensive games
    • Can now play the old Atari-style games (since they didn't even work on my MCU1)
  • Stayed the Same:
    • The stereo sounds the same to me (but I don't have the premium audio system)
    • The touchscreen and dashscreen resolutions appear the same (even though they were replaced)
    • Rear camera resolution looks the same
    • Did not get any new Sentry Mode options (however, my car doesn't have side cameras)
    • The animation on the dash screen is unchanged (but I don't have full self-drive / FSD)
  • Disadvantages:
    • You lose access to AM/FM/XM radio (but I never used them anyways)
    • I had difficulty with my Bluetooth not connecting a couple days ago, but it could have been a fluke (or my phone causing the issue)
Hope this helps!
I have a 2015 S70D and the Orlando service center told me the MCU2 upgrade is for AP2 cars only. I have AP1 like I assume you do. What SC did you have this done at? My screen is leaking and my reboots have begun. I have 120,000+ miles.
Thanks!

The upgrade many of us would like would be to increase the type size of some of the items on the screen. There are some items that I cannot quite read with my distance glasses. I cannot read the street names from the navigation system, the time of day, and some other items. Many others have made exactly the same complaint yet Tesla ignores the complaints. Surely that is at least as important as entertainment items. Increasing the type size by two points would completely solve the problem. Surely the type size could be increased without first discovering a new law of physics.

What does it take to get Tesla to listen to us? Would it help if we picketed show rooms?

I am not disagreeing with your request to increase the type size. But how did you communicate those request to change to Tesla? How do you know they ignored them? There may be as many or more people that also commented they didn't want them changed. Just sayin'.

I know the comment to increase the size has been brought up a couple of times over the last 5-6 years. But I don't know that it's "many of us". But even if many of us do, that does not mean the majority want it.

Does anyone know if the MCU upgrade helps the sound? I have Premium sound, old MCU. Frankly, the clarity is not that great; with the Model 3, I can hear instruments that I can't hear at all in the Model S. I'm thinking to possibly upgrade to after-market speakers, but wondering if the MCU is part of the problem.

There's been a few reports of people with premium sound reporting better sound quality after MCU2 upgrade. These reports were based on perceived improvement and I don't think anyone has measured an actual before/after frequency response.

Does anyone know if the MCU1 to MCU2 is available in Australia ? My 2015 pre-face-lift Model S has been showing signs of failure (i.e. all updates fail at 10%), no navigation capability, very slow to go from Off to P after getting into the car to drive it. I'd ask Tesla but my experience has been they prefer to totally ignore their customers questions.

Got my July 2017 Model S MCU1 AP2.0 upgraded to MCU2 AP3.0 in Canada. Sent in a service appointment on the app, waited 2 weeks for the parts to arrive and it took 1 day to get it done.

It is so worth it, feels like a new car. The MCU had always been a sore spot even when the car was new, laggy like the ill-fated ipad 3. After the upgrade, it is buttery smooth. The web browser works. I have the side view cameras working on reverse, and the menu option for dashcam is present (though I haven't tested that as I don't have a spare USB storage key yet). The AP3 FSD visualization preview on the screen is interesting and makes you realize just how much things have progressed. I am now back on the boat when it comes to software update and am once again all excited for each for the updates that comes out.

If you shelled out the big bucks for a vintage Model S/X back pre 2018 then the MCU2 is a no-brainer. It is like getting a new car. Seriously, just open up your app and do it.

As a added incentive, most MCU1 are on borrowed time and will fail with the flash chip issue sooner or later (mind did last year). Defuse the timebomb and get the MCU2 now instead instead of having to endure the cost and inconvenience of a failed MCU out of warranty later.

Now... I wonder when MCU3 will come.
Could you confirm if you paid the published price of CAD$3510 +tax? And did that include a new touchscreen? Thanks!

Is there a market for used MCU1 of unknown condition? A friend of mine got a pulled/replaced MCU1 from his nearby service center a few years ago to fool around with, but he never did. He gave it to me. It powers up (I brought it to wk057's shop and he fired it up), and we could see the firmware update on the screen, although the back light wasn't connected. We're moving and I'd like to sell it. It's the 'premium hifi' version. Any offers?

Is there a market for used MCU1 of unknown condition? A friend of mine got a pulled/replaced MCU1 from his nearby service center a few years ago to fool around with, but he never did. He gave it to me. It powers up (I brought it to wk057's shop and he fired it up), and we could see the firmware update on the screen, although the back light wasn't connected. We're moving and I'd like to sell it. It's the 'premium hifi' version. Any offers?

Hi, I've no idea what that MCU1 is worth but to me it would be worth $120.00 just to play with, see if I can remove the offending memory IC and read it. If I can do that I'd try the same with my low Fi audio MCU1. I haven't played with electronics like this for more than a decade so my expectations for success are low.

Reactions: FlatSix911