Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with a *2014* upgraded to MCU2?

When I checked about two months ago about it, they simply said "your car is not upgradable". This has led me down the road to tackling an eMMC upgrade, since it has not been verified anywhere that the "rebuilt" MCU1 units have an improved eMMC and indeed there are many reports of rebuilt MCU1s dying with the same symptoms.

Reactions: Evee

When I checked about two months ago about it, they simply said "your car is not upgradable". This has led me down the road to tackling an eMMC upgrade, since it has not been verified anywhere that the "rebuilt" MCU1 units have an improved eMMC and indeed there are many reports of rebuilt MCU1s dying with the same symptoms.
Me

Reactions: croman
When did you upgrade? Did you just request it from the app?

My 2014 85 has zero optional features, I'm wondering if there is something about the base model that prevents it from being upgraded or if their "your car can't be upgraded" response was just a timing issue with availability.

The latest we have heard is that the upgrade doesn't currently support cars that don't have the power liftgate. So that may be why you don't qualify.

• Informative
Reactions: Evee
That's what my Service Center just ordered for me. This is my invoice work lines with part numbers. I think they are trying to use my old screen (which is actually pretty new I think since I got a new MCU). If that's the case, I hope they'll discount the job but they didn't mark that as such. Everyone else has been getting new touchscreens as part of the $2500 package.

The line item 2 last part is the no display part. I received a service parts email with the same part description as yours listed above but they share the same part number. I also ordered my FSD computer separately and this could be just them cobbling together a full kit without ordering a whole one.

View attachment 553607

I have the same invoice... so does that mean that they replace the screen or no?

My 2014 p85+ is scheduled for MCU2 upgrade Aug 12.

Reactions: Fiver and Akikiki
After a little delay, I got confirmation that the parts have arrived at the SC for my appointment and I'm scheduled for 08-06-20.
I'll report back when it's done but it make take a bit as I'm scheduled to have the Front Drive Unit Replaced at the same time.

Dropped off at the San Antonio Service Center this morning and is scheduled to be picked up on 08-10-20.
I'll post a follow up and the before/after vid shortly after I get it back.

The latest we have heard is that the upgrade doesn't currently support cars that don't have the power liftgate. So that may be why you don't qualify.

Aha. Thanks very much @MP3Mike.

One wonders why the absence of a power liftgate would make such an upgrade impossible, but much of my experience thus far with Tesla seems to follow similar illogic, if answers can be found at all.

Reactions: croman
Aha. Thanks very much @MP3Mike.

One wonders why the absence of a power liftgate would make such an upgrade impossible, but much of my experience thus far with Tesla seems to follow similar illogic, if answers can be found at all.
When MCU2 came out, the power liftgate would've been standard equipment so the firmware would've been written assuming it was always there.

It's probable that MCU2 on an older car without a power liftgate would still show the Open button. It's also possible the car might complain and throw errors when it can't find the power liftgate. In order to avoid error messages, they are probably just holding off on installs until the firmware can be rewritten to allow for the possibility that there is no power liftgate.

When MCU2 came out, the power liftgate would've been standard equipment so the firmware would've been written assuming it was always there.

It's probable that MCU2 on an older car without a power liftgate would still show the Open button. It's also possible the car might complain and throw errors when it can't find the power liftgate. In order to avoid error messages, they are probably just holding off on installs until the firmware can be rewritten to allow for the possibility that there is no power liftgate.

Does that mean the older cars couldn't unlatch the trunk from the screen? My 2017 S didn't come with a power liftgate but has the button on the screen to pop it. I installed my own power liftgate aftermarket and it works with the onscreen button to both open and close. I dropped my car off for upgrade yesterday.

In all fairness, the Tech package had a lot more in it than the power liftgate. I think keyless entry (which I believe requires additional hardware as well), Navigation, Homelink, parking sensors (also hardware), and probably some features I've missed.

I just don't want my MCU1 to go dead (and have no option but to replace it with a rebuilt) while waiting an unknown amount of time for MCU2. Maybe I can pull it all out this weekend.

In all fairness, the Tech package had a lot more in it than the power liftgate. I think keyless entry (which I believe requires additional hardware as well), Navigation, Homelink, parking sensors (also hardware), and probably some features I've missed.

I just don't want my MCU1 to go dead (and have no option but to replace it with a rebuilt) while waiting an unknown amount of time for MCU2. Maybe I can pull it all out this weekend.
Yeah, the power liftgate was just an example of one feature that became standard. It's possible any of the other Tech package features could cause issues. As @Mokuzai pointed out, cars should still have the Open button.

Anyhow, they need to upgrade the firmware so that MCU2 checks for the hardware instead of assuming it already exists as was standard when MCU2 was first released.

I have a June 2017 MS with AP2.0/MCU1 that is just about to roll over the 50,000 mile mark on the warranty. I'm seeing the symptoms for MCU1 failure, but knowing Murphy's Law, it's not going to crap out before I hit 50k in the next couple of weeks. I have the post-purchased basic AP on the car, but I do not have EAP or FSD (nor do I have any desire to purchase them).

If I'm reading the posts on this thread correctly, it sounds like Tesla will upgrade AP2 to AP3 at the same time as the paid MCU2 upgrade for FSD and EAP customers. Have there been any reports of them extending this same courtesy to basic AP (not EAP or FSD) customers, or do customers like me just wind up with a AP2.0/MCU2 car after the paid infotainment upgrade?

If I can get both AP2.0 and MCU1 upgraded together for $2500, the upgrade becomes an interesting value proposition for me. Otherwise I'll just stick with getting the eMMC replaced by EV-fixme.

Picked up my 2015 P85D today at the Atlanta GA service center. 83,1xx. MCU 1 failed 2 weeks ago. Took it to the SC and left it because A/C was running, no way to shut it off. Anyway, it took 2 weeks, $2,500 + tax. Had the tech package & premium sound. I think the sound system is better than before as others have said. All music selections carried over to MCU 2. None of the Car settings did. Odometer was correct. Not offered $250 off & use old screen. They hadn’t heard about that, and didn’t think it was a good idea. So new screen was put on mine.
Really nice & fast as others have said.

Been thinking about doing the upgrade from MCU1 to 2 but one of the things I do NOT want to lose is over-the-air radio.
Internet Radio via LTE (4G) is just not consistent. Also, as I've read the various posts, there seems to be a lot of conflicting
information about what the upgrade does and does not do. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how much control
MCU has over things like brake lights, the odometer and other mission critical systems. My understanding is that the
MCU ...aka M-edia C-ontrol U-nit has nothing to do with the mission critical functions of the car. Think about the times you
may have rebooted the screens ... while driving... notice that all mission critical systems still work. For example, the car does not come
to a stop, the brakes work, it still steers and the accelerator does control its speed and when the displays come back up
the miles traveled show the changes in miles driven since the reboot started.
Tesla Tap seems to be the best source of info to avoid conflicting reports but even that site notes there are seems to be conflicting reports from service center to service center and user to user.
For an old timer like me it seems the upgrade takes too much away that I like about my 2015 Model S 70D (Nov 2015 build).
Not even sure I want to trade to get all the new features, based on the many complaints I've read about wipers, Autopilot inconsistencies,
Homelink, over-the-air radio, just to name a few. Thoughts anyone???

Reactions: brkaus
If I'm reading the posts on this thread correctly, it sounds like Tesla will upgrade AP2 to AP3 at the same time as the paid MCU2 upgrade for FSD and EAP customers. Have there been any reports of them extending this same courtesy to basic AP (not EAP or FSD) customers, or do customers like me just wind up with a AP2.0/MCU2 car after the paid infotainment upgrade?

There's only one part number that anyone has come across for AP2 infotainment upgrades, and it includes HW3.

I expect AP2.0/MCU2 is not a supported config (or a config they want to support) and all upgrades come with HW3.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0- NA
Part #: 9874562-00-A

Been thinking about doing the upgrade from MCU1 to 2 but one of the things I do NOT want to lose is over-the-air radio.
Internet Radio via LTE (4G) is just not consistent. Also, as I've read the various posts, there seems to be a lot of conflicting
information about what the upgrade does and does not do. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how much control
MCU has over things like brake lights, the odometer and other mission critical systems. My understanding is that the
MCU ...aka M-edia C-ontrol U-nit has nothing to do with the mission critical functions of the car. Think about the times you
may have rebooted the screens ... while driving... notice that all mission critical systems still work. For example, the car does not come
to a stop, the brakes work, it still steers and the accelerator does control its speed and when the displays come back up
the miles traveled show the changes in miles driven since the reboot started.
Tesla Tap seems to be the best source of info to avoid conflicting reports but even that site notes there are seems to be conflicting reports from service center to service center and user to user.
For an old timer like me it seems the upgrade takes too much away that I like about my 2015 Model S 70D (Nov 2015 build).
Not even sure I want to trade to get all the new features, based on the many complaints I've read about wipers, Autopilot inconsistencies,
Homelink, over-the-air radio, just to name a few. Thoughts anyone???
I think that it still routes some of the mission critical things through the MCU. One "incident" I had in very early ownership of my first Tesla I was having some erratic behavior by the MCU so I decided to reboot the screen as I had read about. I came to a stop at a red light and decided I'd put the car in park while I went through the reboot sequence, for safety of course. I was red-faced as the light went green and the MCU was still booting up (took longer than I had expected) and I was unable to put it back in drive. Cars were behind me honking and I couldn't do anything about it until the MCU booted back up. I've learned my lesson and if I need to reboot I simply do so. The only consideration I give before doing this is to whether I'm going to need to shift gears at any point as I'm not aware that can cause issues. The weird part is that it seems as though some still drive their cars when the eMMC is completely dead and this means they have to shift gears so I'm not sure as to the extent of the relation... just that they are related in my experience. Others have also reported other important functionality that is lost when the MCU goes down so I think it's more than just "media" as you mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911