Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I have a new one for you guys or maybe I just missed it.

I already have HW3/FSD installed and I set up an appointment to have the Infotainment upgrade installed. I just received a text from the person I ordered the MCU2 through at the SC and he told me that since I already have HW3 I am ineligible for the Infotainment upgrade. But, that they are hoping that by the end of the year that customers that have HW3/FSD will be eligible. o_O

I replied that I know several people (you guys) that have both installed. So far no reply.

Thoughts??
Did you have HW3 upgrade done or did your car come with HW3 when new? All cars that were delivered new with HW3 already have MCU2. There's no need to upgrade those. If you had HW3 installed after delivery then you should be eligible for MCU2, if it is needed.

What is the build date of your car? If it is the 2017 S75D in your signature then you'd have MCU1 and still be able to get the MCU2 infotainment upgrade.

Did you have HW3 upgrade done or did your car come with HW3 when new? All cars that were delivered new with HW3 already have MCU2. There's no need to upgrade those. If you had HW3 installed after delivery then you should be eligible for MCU2, if it is needed.

What is the build date of your car? If it is the 2017 S75D in your signature then you'd have MCU1 and still be able to get the MCU2 infotainment upgrade.
Sorry, I didn't think to list that info. I have MCU1. We took delivery fresh from the factory in Nov 2017.

Reactions: Gt1948
Just dropped off, they said to give them 2 days to complete. We’ll see.

Well, it was done at 10am this morning, just picked it up.

It's like a brand new car. Literally, because all of my settings were wiped clean, like it was fresh from the factory. Ah well. Minor inconvenience I guess.

Loving it so far. 20 miles to recalibrate autopilot cameras. The FSD visualizations are cool I guess - didn't think I was getting those as I only have Enhanced Autopilot. The entire experience of interacting with the car is crisp, fresh, and immediate. Didn't realize how slow and laggy MCU1 had gotten.

In all, worth price paid. Feel like I can keep the car for another 4 years.

It's like a brand new car. Literally, because all of my settings were wiped clean, like it was fresh from the factory. Ah well. Minor inconvenience I guess.

Loving it so far. 20 miles to recalibrate autopilot cameras. The FSD visualizations are cool I guess - didn't think I was getting those as I only have Enhanced Autopilot. The entire experience of interacting with the car is crisp, fresh, and immediate. Didn't realize how slow and laggy MCU1 had gotten.

Congrats. When I had mine done Monday, they transferred over all of my previous settings except for the homelink.

• Informative
Reactions: RedOctober
All my SSIDs are visible. My garage has an AP with both 2 & 5GHz radios on.

Additionally, I often play Backgammon while charging and on my MCU2 it causes it to crash and reboot the MCU2. My car has been at the SC for 6 days already and they have tesla "engineering" trying to fix it before replacing hardware.

No joy.

Is your 5GHz SSID hidden? The manual says it is supposed to be able to connect to a hidden SSID but mine initially would not. My 1/17 Model S had the same MCU2/HW3 upgrade a few weeks ago. My wireless router has 5GHz and 2.4GHz radios. I have one of my 2.4GHz SSID's not hidden and my car connected with no problem after entering the password. I have my 5GHz radio set to hide the SSID. It did not see my 5GHz SSID as expected so I tried entering the settings manually and it did not connect. I had rebooted my car using the 'double scroll wheel press', tried again entering the connection settings manually, and it did not connect. I had to unhide my routers 5GHz SSID and then it let me connect. I was then able to hide the SSID and it still is connected.

• Informative

Which SC did you have this done at, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, I didn't know that the yellow band takes awhile to form, definitely sounds like they gave me a refurb and now I'm furious. Wish I were a lawyer so I could some fancy language to get their attention. It's hard enough to get any direct communication with them without a way to get ahold of someone there and Covid prevents me from just walking in.

Or maybe it came that way from the factory if on the shelf for a while. The yellow band can be fixed with the UV treatment though. As long as there are no other imperfections, you should be good to go with that fix. Although shouldn’t have been necessary in the first place.

On July 20, Tesla's mobile service updated my autopilot (HW2.5 to HW3). At that time, I decided to keep my MCU1. A week later, I received firmware 2020.24.6.11 and problems started appearing with my touch screen (incorrect display, extreme slowness, constantly showing PIN, constantly needing to restart the screen, etc.). I contacted the Tesla Service Center who opened a case and requested that my infotainment system be updated (MCU1 to MCU2). In the meantime, I received firmware 2020.32.1 and the problems only got worse. Two days after that, a Tesla engineer communicated with me by text message and told me that he will send back the same firmware and that I had to install it again. Also, he informed me that updating my MCU1 to MCU2 was not available for my car model right now, given that I already own the HW3 and they were going to replace my touch screen instead (probably an eMMC problem). I have an appointment scheduled for the week of August 24, the part number on the order form is: SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP, CGS DISPL (1084333-00-A ).

Since this new reinstallation, my touch screen is working fine. I would like to know if this situation has been experienced by other members, as they told me that I would have to wait several months before the MCU2 setup would be available.

Model S, 75D, 09/2017, HW3, MCU1.

• Informative
Also, he informed me that updating my MCU1 to MCU2 was not available for my car model right now, given that I already own the HW3 and they were going to replace my touch screen instead (probably an eMMC problem). I have an appointment scheduled for the week of August 24, the part number on the order form is: SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP, CGS DISPL (1084333-00-A ).

Looks like they are actually just replacing the screen. Not the Tegra board that has the eMMC on it...

On July 20, Tesla's mobile service updated my autopilot (HW2.5 to HW3). At that time, I decided to keep my MCU1. A week later, I received firmware 2020.24.6.11 and problems started appearing with my touch screen (incorrect display, extreme slowness, constantly showing PIN, constantly needing to restart the screen, etc.). I contacted the Tesla Service Center who opened a case and requested that my infotainment system be updated (MCU1 to MCU2). In the meantime, I received firmware 2020.32.1 and the problems only got worse. Two days after that, a Tesla engineer communicated with me by text message and told me that he will send back the same firmware and that I had to install it again. Also, he informed me that updating my MCU1 to MCU2 was not available for my car model right now, given that I already own the HW3 and they were going to replace my touch screen instead (probably an eMMC problem). I have an appointment scheduled for the week of August 24, the part number on the order form is: SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP, CGS DISPL (1084333-00-A ).

Since this new reinstallation, my touch screen is working fine. I would like to know if this situation has been experienced by other members, as they told me that I would have to wait several months before the MCU2 setup would be available.

Model S, 75D, 09/2017, HW3, MCU1.
This doesn’t make sense, unless you are under warranty which I don’t want to insinuate anything here... Your setup is and has been available since day 1 of these upgrades. It says so on the infotainment upgrade webpage.

Last night was the first time driving our Model S at night since we got the MCU2 Upgrade. As others have stated the back up camera is much darker. Hoping a future software update can fix it.
Don't count on it. People with newer cars, those that already had MCU2 - have reported the rear camera is darker. Has nothing to do with the Upgrade. Its simply the way MCU2 has been. Gonna have to get used to it. Or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
This doesn’t make sense, unless you are under warranty which I don’t want to insinuate anything here... Your setup is and has been available since day 1 of these upgrades. It says so on the infotainment upgrade webpage.

Yes my car is still under warranty. The problem stems from the fact, if I understood his words correctly, that the upgrade to HW3 was done without migrating from MCU1 to MCU2 at the same time weird no.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Yes my car is still under warranty. The problem stems from the fact, if I understood his words correctly, that the upgrade to HW3 was done without migrating from MCU1 to MCU2 at the same time weird no.

What we have seen in the past - you literally got out of line when you didn't do MCU2 at the same time your car was up for HW3.0 Now, you are probably close to the end of the line than the front of the line. What is it that everyone enjoys saying these days? "It is what it is".

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: arcus and Gt1948
OK, I have a new one for you guys or maybe I just missed it.

I already have HW3/FSD installed and I set up an appointment to have the Infotainment upgrade installed. I just received a text from the person I ordered the MCU2 through at the SC and he told me that since I already have HW3 I am ineligible for the Infotainment upgrade. But, that they are hoping that by the end of the year that customers that have HW3/FSD will be eligible. o_O

I replied that I know several people (you guys) that have both installed. So far no reply.

Thoughts??
Same boat here, they said Tesla is working on a fix.

So in this thread, there have been many questions about the audio coming from MCU1 to MCU2. After my upgrade over a month ago, I was initially disappointed with the sound of MCU2. After a month of frustration in trying to tune the system but never getting it quite right, I decided to spend a day on an audio project and use a little science instead of just my ear. I mapped out the frequency response of the MCU2 audio and adjusted the limited EQ the software allows to obtain a much better sound.

If anyone has an interest, I created a new post with my results (and lots of pretty frequency analysis graphs).

MCU2 Upgrade Audio EQ Balancing - Coming From MCU1