Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forum threads are dynamic - progressive. Nearly always moving forward with fresher news or reports. Want to know something that has already occurred or been announced; go back a couple of pages and read forward. It's counterproductive to show up later to the party and want the tape rewound to the beginning. Again, go back a couple of pages, better - go back and read from #1 to understand it all. Do it when its convenient if necessary. The price - the new adjusted price is listed in the same location it was initially announced to the world. Infotainment Upgrade.

Someone today that is not new to this forum showed up and asked what are the benefits to MCU2 over MCU1. There's a dozen discussions threads on this forum and with the pros and cons listed over and over and debated to death. Just like that party, - the gall of people to show up after the movie has started and expect someone to write up an explanation for their question.

I predict now that those that have done this themselves are going to posts Dislikes for my comment. (That's certainly who I think will flag this with a Dislike.) My two cents is, its unfair to those people that make an effort to help when there are others that require someone to back-peddle for them.

Where are you getting the idea that "cars with UHFS/Sound Studio who opt for the Infotainment Upgrade will not have to pay extra for the FM/XM tuner module." that? That is not the case. The infotainment page clearly states its $500 for FM or FM/XM.

Its going to be difficult to get in writing since its not true.

Reactions: Bet TSLA
Where are you getting the idea that "cars with UHFS/Sound Studio who opt for the Infotainment Upgrade will not have to pay extra for the FM/XM tuner module." that? That is not the case. The infotainment page clearly states its $500 for FM or FM/XM.

Its going to be difficult to get in writing since its not true.
Several of us with Premium sound paid nothing. Not sure there’s another theory that makes any sense. Love to hear it. I even had a pro-forma invoice for $500, actual was $0.

My X needs the MCU chip repair, wondering if it would be worth the $1500 to upgrade to MCU2 what kinds of improvements does that offer.
"worth" is always relative "to whom". Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. I have 2 Teslas, 1 MCU1 and one MCU2. At the time when my MCU1 started acting up, it was about $3K to replace it with MCU1. It wasn't worth it, so I fixed it myself. Then $2,500 MCU2 upgrade came, I thought about it, compared the MCU1 and MCU2 in my garage, and concluded might be worth $500 to me. So, when $1,500 upgrade came around (now), it's still 3x what I would be willing to pay for it. But, that's for me, whose MCU1 is in an AP1 car. Perhaps if it was in an FSD enabled AP3 car, I would feel it had a higher value to me, who knows. The MCU2 I do have is in AP2.5 car, EAP enabled, could probably argue with Tesla over AP3 upgrade (EAP used to include some features only available on AP3), but I don't see it worth the hassle during COVID pandemic as nobody is using EAP on that car anyways (my wife doesn't like AP, and I find it annoying and worse than AP1 for highway usage, because of all the phantom braking and slowing down for everything), plus we don't drive much anyways - perhaps I will upgrade the AP2.5 car to AP3 if it's free, but not paying for MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade unless it drops to $500 or less, that is if I still have the car by then (Audi eTron GT RS is getting unveiled in February and supposed hit USA in the summer - it is the most likely replacement for the Model S with MCU1).

Several of us with Premium sound paid nothing. Not sure there’s another theory that makes any sense. Love to hear it. I even had a pro-forma invoice for $500, actual was $0.
IIRC, both of the "free" radio upgrades that I read about were for people who originally paid the old $2500 MCU2 upgrade price. They then got the "free" radio upgrade when they had the radio installed after the upgrade price was lowered to $1500 a few days ago.

Perhaps those that paid the original $2500 will no longer have to pay for the radio upgrade? While it isn't a $1000 refund, a "free" $500 upgrade might make a lot of owners happier.

Reactions: Akikiki
"worth" is always relative "to whom". Only you can decide if it's worth it to you. I have 2 Teslas, 1 MCU1 and one MCU2. At the time when my MCU1 started acting up, it was about $3K to replace it with MCU1. It wasn't worth it, so I fixed it myself. Then $2,500 MCU2 upgrade came, I thought about it, compared the MCU1 and MCU2 in my garage, and concluded might be worth $500 to me. So, when $1,500 upgrade came around (now), it's still 3x what I would be willing to pay for it. But, that's for me, whose MCU1 is in an AP1 car. Perhaps if it was in an FSD enabled AP3 car, I would feel it had a higher value to me, who knows. The MCU2 I do have is in AP2.5 car, EAP enabled, could probably argue with Tesla over AP3 upgrade (EAP used to include some features only available on AP3), but I don't see it worth the hassle during COVID pandemic as nobody is using EAP on that car anyways (my wife doesn't like AP, and I find it annoying and worse than AP1 for highway usage, because of all the phantom braking and slowing down for everything), plus we don't drive much anyways - perhaps I will upgrade the AP2.5 car to AP3 if it's free, but not paying for MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade unless it drops to $500 or less, that is if I still have the car by then (Audi eTron GT RS is getting unveiled in February and supposed hit USA in the summer - it is the most likely replacement for the Model S with MCU1).
Thanks for the info after doing some digging around it seems as if the MCU upgrade is mostly infotainment which I could care less about, my wife says one of the best things I do is fart!

IIRC, both of the "free" radio upgrades that I read about were for people who originally paid the old $2500 MCU2 upgrade price. They then got the "free" radio upgrade when they had the radio installed after the upgrade price was lowered to $1500 a few days ago.

Perhaps those that paid the original $2500 will no longer have to pay for the radio upgrade? While it isn't a $1000 refund, a "free" $500 upgrade might make a lot of owners happier.

Excellent explanation why those two didn't have to pay for FM. The SC might have known the price reduction was coming and were not permitted to reveal. So, they could have recalled the customer wanted FM but didn't want to pay, so they gave it to him and headed off a complaint about the price. Either way, I am happy for both of them.

I just scheduled my MCU2 upgrade last night after I saw on here that it’s only $1500 now. They scheduled it for mobile service on February 1st. My only concern is the stereo sound quality and the backup camera quality. Have we determined on here whether the sound quality is diminished and/or the backup camera is too dark?

I had mine done last week (brought it in the day the price dropped to $1500, so got that price on checkout) and I can confirm no issue with sound quality or backup camera. I initially thought the IC display was too dark in night mode, but then found out that the latest sw had reduced the size of the fonts and made the text grayer, so it's a UI issue, not a HW issue.

FYI, the MCU upgrade can't be done via mobile ranger, at least in my area. They will change that when they take a look at your appointment. That's what happened to me. If you have AP2 or 2.5, you will get a free HW3 upgrade at the same time, even if you haven't bought FSD.

Last edited:
For at least quite some time, we don't want Mobile Techs to try and perform MCU2 Upgrades. Why you ask.. Why? Somebody, please ask why so I can show off. Bueller, Bueller? Ah, there's a hand up. o_O Because its too soon. Yes scattered across the country, I guess Tesla has done quite a few now and they have collectively gain a lot of experience. But the techs both in the SC and Mobile have only been exposed to this for about 9-10 months. Many may have done none or one, or a few. And that does not give them many attempts to install MCU2. We've heard stories of cars in the SC for 3-4 days to a week or more, while they struggle to get it done. You really don't want them to start on a MCU2 Upgrade in your garage or driveway on Monday morning and still there Thursday or Friday, do you? (Hold up your hand, please.) :) No, of course not. In the SC if a tech has difficulty:eek:, he/she can turn to others for help. Mobile Tech only has his phone to get help, and that's often not a third set of hands or eyes for help. So, while it my be convenient to just let someone show up, I advise against it. When I submitted mine, they changed the location to the SC and gave me a loaner. Mine took a week and a few hours. I'm surely glad:D I left it and hand their loaner.

I think they got it down pat now. I brought mine in at 10:30am on day 1 and it was ready at 1pm on day 2.

The service advisor told me that the hw part only takes about 2 hours, but it's getting all the sw stuff right that can take much longer.
Good. I guess because yours took just over one day, that all 400 SC worldwide can do it in one day, eh? Good. Does that say the same for every Mobile Tech too? Just wonderin'

I think they got it down pat now. I brought mine in at 10:30am on day 1 and it was ready at 1pm on day 2.

The service advisor told me that the hw part only takes about 2 hours, but it's getting all the sw stuff right that can take much longer.

Mine was done on the same day. Took it in at 9am and was done around 2pm. The service tech told me the exact same thing. If the software took, it will be done the same day. If the software fails, she does not know how long. Seems like the hard install part is easy, but to debug why the software update fails takes time.

Did anyone else (besides the two noted cases) was able to get 'free' FM/XM upgrade after initially paying $2500 for MCU2 upgrade?

I've an upcoming appointment this week for FM/XM upgrade and I paid full price for MCU2. Also my car has premium audio/UHFS package.

Just want to confirm if it's indeed free so I can work with the local service center. Thanks!