Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Tesla will be recalling 8GB memory cards to replace with 64GB cards.
I'll still upgrade to MCU2 for all around better performance.

Tesla has decided to voluntarily recall certain Model S and Model X vehicles built before March 2018 that are equipped with an 8GB embedded MultiMediaCard (eMMC) in the media control unit because the eMMC may malfunction due to accumulated wear. Our records show that you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall
The MCU2? You won't regret the choice.

I went ahead and booked my appt for February 17th on the MCU2 upgrade, parts have been ordered! Looking forward to having a working MCU vs the slow and laggy variety.......I also got that email last night from Tesla, while I appreciate that Tesla is going to do this at no cost, I imagine getting that done for free with the 160K vehicles will be a slow rollout, Im not going to wait, but I understand some that will.

Here are the links to the latest NHSTA correspondence with Tesla...interesting to note the potential number of units affected is now 134,951.

RCAK-21V035-5245.pdf (nhtsa.gov)
RCLRPT-21V035-4682.PDF (nhtsa.gov)
upload_2021-2-2_12-5-34-png.633349

upload_2021-2-2_12-6-5-png.633350

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
I went ahead and booked my appt for February 17th on the MCU2 upgrade, parts have been ordered! Looking forward to having a working MCU vs the slow and laggy variety.......I also got that email last night from Tesla, while I appreciate that Tesla is going to do this at no cost, I imagine getting that done for free with the 160K vehicles will be a slow rollout, Im not going to wait, but I understand some that will.

I don't believe the recall remedy is upgrading to MCU2, although I could be wrong. I think it's simply a memory upgrade for MCU1. But I'll tell you from experience that you will not regret spending the money to get MCU2! I am SO glad I bit the bullet - finally.

Feels like a new car!

Reactions: Akikiki
I don't believe the recall remedy is upgrading to MCU2, although I could be wrong.
It's not. I'm glad to hear your review of the MCU2, I'm going to do it too.

Just curious, is there a way to tell if you have the 8GB or 64GB card? My MCU failed about a year ago, I got a new one, probably refurbished, I got a free 4G upgrade with it. That MCU is now failing in the same way the first one did. I know they knew about the problem, I can't imagine that they replaced a problem with a problem a year ago. Maybe I guess.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KArnold
Just curious, is there a way to tell if you have the 8GB or 64GB card? My MCU failed about a year ago, I got a new one, probably refurbished, I got a free 4G upgrade with it. That MCU is now failing in the same way the first one did. I know they knew about the problem, I can't imagine that they replaced a problem with a problem a year ago. Maybe I guess.

If I recall correctly they didn't start putting 64GB eMMCs into MCU1s until about July. So if your replacement was before that you would have gotten another MCU1 with an 8GB eMMC.

@MP3Mike is right about those dates. I didn't hear if Tesla had a contractor or was refurbishing the old MCU1s' themselves. They started using 64GB chips in mid-ish Jun '20 almost in the third week. But it was right at a month before those better chip MCU's made it through the supply pipeline to SC's. Remember, there were no spares sitting on shelves at SCs. SCs had to order each MCU1 for each car. And from early May until almost the end of July there was a backlog of cars waiting on refurbished MCUs. It wasn't until July that simply the daughterboard was available as an option. An owner near me said our SC told him that his car was the 93th in a queue waiting on a refurbished MCU.

just completed the 1500 (+tax) MCU upgrade - for those of you who use USB Audio 192-24bit flac files play flawlessly from the front USB Ports - not sure if this has been addressed

that’s why they aren’t fixing this in the MCU1, they want us to get the MCU2!
upload_2021-2-5_11-57-35.jpeg

thanks for the info :D

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-5_11-57-17.jpeg
    upload_2021-2-5_11-57-17.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 67
I'm doing the upgrade next week, but I don't know what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Music files downloaded and stored on our USB flash drives will only play if they are 16 bit files, hi-resolution files will not. The following article looks pretty good at explaining what all that means, and why we care.

High-resolution audio: everything you need to know | What Hi-Fi?

It's probably a limit of the MCU1 processor

Maybe, only because all the latest software updates have sucked all that processing power to do other tasks, but this is another example of what we used to have working in the car previously (about 4-5 updates ago? 6-9 months ago?) but doesn't any longer. And unlike the browser, this I do care about.

Music files downloaded and stored on our USB flash drives will only play if they are 16 bit files, hi-resolution files will not. The following article looks pretty good at explaining what all that means, and why we care.

High-resolution audio: everything you need to know | What Hi-Fi?

Maybe, only because all the latest software updates have sucked all that processing power to do other tasks, but this is another example of what we used to have working in the car previously (about 4-5 updates ago? 6-9 months ago?) but doesn't any longer. And unlike the browser, this I do care about.
Did flac files play on MCU1 previously?

It's not. I'm glad to hear your review of the MCU2, I'm going to do it too.

A year ago would be the 8 gig card.

Correct. I do not. Never wondered about it, honestly.
If you have FSD computer & MCU2 you should. If you have AP 2.0 or 2.5 computer + MCU2 I'm not sure. I just want to make sure everyone has them because they would be part of the reason for us to upgrade & it seems like some people report they don't have them. But I'm starting to think it's just a matter of knowing how to display them.