Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not get it yet. I got hw3 alone for no charge since i have FSD. I will probably get MCU2 by this summer. I want to see how the recall shakes out. I still suspect they will offer more discount on mcu2
Why do you think they'll offer more discount? You think that as they get closer to having to do recall replacements of the eMMC they'll offer more MCU2 discounts to avoid having to do recall replacements?

I wonder whether these replacement MCU1s are refurbished units.

My options were to replace with a new or a refurbished unit last year and the funny thing after all of this is they just replace the entire MCU unit again instead of waiting for the daughter board part that’s back ordered. For that I give them a plus for customer support, but still doesn’t make up for the usual service most receive when taking their vehicles in.

My options were to replace with a new or a refurbished unit last year and the funny thing after all of this is they just replace the entire MCU unit again instead of waiting for the daughter board part that’s back ordered. For that I give them a plus for customer support, but still doesn’t make up for the usual service most receive when taking their vehicles in.

Lol, an option to choose between a refurbished unit or new one? Wonder what the take rate was for the refurbished.

A friend of mine with a 2016 Model S with HW2.0 and no FSD got her car back from the MCU2 upgrade last week.

Both screens were replaced and the autopilot computer was upgraded to HW3. While she still only has EAP functionality she can enable “full self driving visualization preview” to display all the stuff HW3 can see.

I had read a few posts where someone claimed they heard that MCU2 no longer included HW3 but this doesn’t seem to be the case.

Nope, does not seem to be the case. But we heard multiple reports that folks paying $1500 did not get HW3. So, thank you for the report, but one single report does not mean that suddenly everyones' getting HW3 with MCU2.

Frankly, it does not matter. We can expect those folks that paid for FSD will get it, even if the folks with or without paying for FSD gets it.

Nope, does not seem to be the case. But we heard multiple reports that folks paying $1500 did not get HW3. So, thank you for the report, but one single report does not mean that suddenly everyones' getting HW3 with MCU2.

Frankly, it does not matter. We can expect those folks that paid for FSD will get it, even if the folks with or without paying for FSD gets it.

Can you link to one of the reports? After reading that on here a few times I dug around the threads trying to find such an installation and couldn’t find one.