Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally broke down and did the MCU2 upgrade last week. I've been a little skeptical when people were saying "it's like a brand new car!"... but I'm now here to hop onto that bandwagon. It's an awesome upgrade. Just some quick thoughts:
  • I had my P85D upgraded to a P100DL by a third party, which required hacking the MCU1. He assured me that there would be no problems upgrading to MCU2. I was just concerned that Tesla might de-activate Ludicrous mode during the upgrade, because 'Tesla'. I'm happy to report that didn't happen.
  • When I picked up the car yesterday, the audio sounded great. I'm not going to say it sounds better with MCU2, but I won't say it doesn't, either. :) I have the Light Harmonic amp.
  • Today when I went out to the car, the audio sounded horrible! The >Settings>Tone controls did almost nothing, and there was ZERO bass from the subwoofer. I started to worry that something was broken and/or incompatible and I'd have to take it back to the SC. But I did what anyone would/should do-- Reboot! And luckily, that restored the great sounding audio and the controls started to work.
  • There have been reports of a loud "click" or "pop" with MCU2 and the Light Harmonic amp. So far, I have not experienced this.
  • I may now have to break down and subscribe to TIDAL.
  • The screen brightness and clarity are stunning.
  • I have the @artrsci Front camera switch kit, which I'm also happy to report still works great. I'd be crushed if this stopped working!
  • I didn't take pics of the brushed bezel before the upgrade, but luckily, there was no damage or mis-aligned panels after the upgrade.
  • I'm still on the last version of 10.2, so I'm back to my habit of rejecting all update requests -- until Tesla forces an update on my car (as they have done a few times in the past).
  • I really didn't think I needed all the Theater and Toy-box gadgets that come with MCU2, but yeah, they are so much fun to play with. I can actually envision watching Youtube or Netflix while supercharging.
  • I'm happy that the fine folks at the Milford SC worked-around and didn't disrupt all my custom mods in the car: Front camera switch; hardwired radar and laser detector; front and rear dashcam; rear lighted Applique; WASP Pedestrian horn; hardwired connections for two cell phones; and of course the 100kWh battery upgrade.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with this upgrade on my 7 year old car. I really see no need to upgrade to PLAID any time soon. I'll keep this old beast going for the foreseeable future.

And for any TMC rabble-rousers, here -- I'll save you the trouble. :)
I’ve said it before, I don’t think it’s ever going to happen.

@HankLloydRight, well, well, well. I am pleased for you that you are pleased (for you). Let's see, what was it that I was saving to share with you? hmmm, let me think??? Oh yeah, I remember. Wait for it :) SEE? I TOLD YA SO. But serious, now that I have that said, I TOLD YA SO, and anyone else that would stop and read my dreadful posts. Sorry, just can't help myself. :)

I too have/had artsci's front cam kit. Ioved it. AP3.0 does not like it. I know you don't have that problem though. When I forgot to manually switch the camera back to Rear view before I got out, Summon would not work. Summon would get confused because the view it saw was the front of the car and that didn't or, I guess that matched the front and it was not supposed to match the front. So confusion.

But aside those sill remarks above, I am happy for you. Wait til you open the app to do something, it works every time. So cool, just like the very early days of the app connecting. Love it. :cool:
o_O 🥲 😁

Last edited:
  • There have been reports of a loud "click" or "pop" with MCU2 and the Light Harmonic amp. So far, I have not experienced this.

• I'm still on the last version of 10.2, so I'm back to my habit of rejecting all update requests -- until Tesla forces an update on my car (as they have done a few times in the past).
Happy to hear about the lack of noise with the LH amp.

I'm surprised they allowed the car to leave with the old firmware. If you want Tidal youre going to need to update though.

So I finally broke down and did the MCU2 upgrade last week. I've been a little skeptical when people were saying "it's like a brand new car!"... but I'm now here to hop onto that bandwagon. It's an awesome upgrade. Just some quick thoughts:
  • I had my P85D upgraded to a P100DL by a third party, which required hacking the MCU1. He assured me that there would be no problems upgrading to MCU2. I was just concerned that Tesla might de-activate Ludicrous mode during the upgrade, because 'Tesla'. I'm happy to report that didn't happen.
  • When I picked up the car yesterday, the audio sounded great. I'm not going to say it sounds better with MCU2, but I won't say it doesn't, either. :) I have the Light Harmonic amp.
  • Today when I went out to the car, the audio sounded horrible! The >Settings>Tone controls did almost nothing, and there was ZERO bass from the subwoofer. I started to worry that something was broken and/or incompatible and I'd have to take it back to the SC. But I did what anyone would/should do-- Reboot! And luckily, that restored the great sounding audio and the controls started to work.
  • I have the @artrsci Front camera switch kit, which I'm also happy to report still works great. I'd be crushed if this stopped working!
  • I didn't take pics of the brushed bezel before the upgrade, but luckily, there was no damage or mis-aligned panels after the upgrade.
  • I really didn't think I needed all the Theater and Toy-box gadgets that come with MCU2, but yeah, they are so much fun to play with. I can actually envision watching Youtube or Netflix while supercharging.
  • I'm happy that the fine folks at the Milford SC worked-around and didn't disrupt all my custom mods in the car: Front camera switch; hardwired radar and laser detector; front and rear dashcam; rear lighted Applique; WASP Pedestrian horn; hardwired connections for two cell phones; and of course the 100kWh battery upgrade.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with this upgrade on my 7 year old car. I really see no need to upgrade to PLAID any time soon. I'll keep this old beast going for the foreseeable future.

How much did it cost you? I was just wondering if Tesla raised prices due to inflation or not. Also it is possible to upgrade the 85kwh pack to the 100kwh pack? I thought tesla said it was not possible. I know wk045did say it was possible but surprised they didn't complained and willing to work ok your car. Haha

How much did it cost you? I was just wondering if Tesla raised prices due to inflation or not.

Same price: $1,500.

Also it is possible to upgrade the 85kwh pack to the 100kwh pack? I thought tesla said it was not possible. I know wk045did say it was possible but surprised they didn't complained and willing to work ok your car. Haha

Yes, it's possible. wk057 has done it many times. Why would they complain? I'm paying them to install the MCU which really has nothing to do with the battery. And in fact, I mentioned, they replaced a battery coolant heater under warranty while it was in the shop (as well as a window regulator and thumbwheel switch).

what was the cost to upgrade to 100L?

Thanks for this detailed and useful report! I'm curious now about two things if you could comment further: 1) SC speed. Has MCU any bearing on this, or the new firmware you've got, reduced your SC times? 2) how is vamp drain now? Your car is close enough to mine in time that I would think I will have a very similar experience. (mine is Dec 15, 2013 build date).

Also very curious about all the mods you have and if you have sites that have guides on installing them. I'm curious if some of them, like front camera switcher, can live with open pilot (OP). Since you have front radar installed do you use OP? (sorry for OT questions but they are somewhat OT since they relate to MCU interoperability :D)

Reactions: Wanderer and Krash
1) SC speed. Has MCU any bearing on this, or the new firmware you've got, reduced your SC times? 2)

I haven't used a SC yet, so I can't say. But I would be very surprised if the MCU2 upgrade changed SC speeds. With the 100kWh battery, I've been able to get up to 150kW while charging. I don't expect that to change.

how is vamp drain now?

Haven't noticed anything different. YMMV, though.

Also very curious about all the mods you have and if you have sites that have guides on installing them
Sure:
Front camera switch (no longer available): 2nd run of camera switch that show a front image on the touch screen
Hardwired radar and laser detector: Antilaser Priority: AL Priority USA - Official USA Site for the Best Laser Jammer from 2013-2020 (the best stealth laser jammer on the market)
Front and rear dashcam (discontinued): [REFURBISHED] BlackSys CH-100B 2-CH WiFi Dash Cam
Rear lighted Applique (no longer available): Vendor - Model S Lighted Rear Applique in operation on the road
WASP Pedestrian horn: https://ev-cpo.com/wasp
hardwired connections for two cell phones: ProClip USA | Car Phone Holders and Dashboard Phone Mounts

. I'm curious if some of them, like front camera switcher, can live with open pilot (OP).

I have no idea, I don't use OP. Does OP tap into the rear backup camera? I don't think it does, but that would be a problem with the front camera switch.

Since you have front radar installed do you use OP?

I don't use OP, but the radar detector and AP1 radar antenna don't interfere with each other. Radar (speed) guns operate on very specific frequencies that radar detectors are designed to detect. If the AP (and OP) radar operate on different frequencies, the radar detector will never see them.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: SilverGS and raphy3
Here's a funny little tidbit on mu MCU2 upgrade. On the final invoice, it says:

Infotainment upgrade as per customer request. was not able to back up user profile on beginning of process of infotainment upgrade, customer will need to add all new user information.

I know this was a 50/50 chance, and some people had their profiles copied over, and some didn't. In my case, all the profile and settings were reset. Except for the streaming channels I had set up on the old MCU1! For some reason, they're all still there while nothing else was transferred over.

My eMMC was replaced a year ago and the MCU1 was functioning fine. I wonder why they couldn't backup the user profile info?