Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you did those klm in Canada… you are doin double the miles per year I am. So that plus being in California bodes well for my 5 year old Model S. I paid for the MCU upgrade when it first came out. Never regretted it. And yes, my car is better than when I bought it thanks to the SW upgrades. I read the 12V battery generally needs replacing at 5 years… you managed 7. What is the loss in capacity of your main battery?
Ive lost 11 or 12% capacity.

So I finally broke down and did the MCU2 upgrade last week. I've been a little skeptical when people were saying "it's like a brand new car!"... but I'm now here to hop onto that bandwagon. It's an awesome upgrade. Just some quick thoughts:
  • I had my P85D upgraded to a P100DL by a third party, which required hacking the MCU1. He assured me that there would be no problems upgrading to MCU2. I was just concerned that Tesla might de-activate Ludicrous mode during the upgrade, because 'Tesla'. I'm happy to report that didn't happen.
  • When I picked up the car yesterday, the audio sounded great. I'm not going to say it sounds better with MCU2, but I won't say it doesn't, either. :) I have the Light Harmonic amp.
  • Today when I went out to the car, the audio sounded horrible! The >Settings>Tone controls did almost nothing, and there was ZERO bass from the subwoofer. I started to worry that something was broken and/or incompatible and I'd have to take it back to the SC. But I did what anyone would/should do-- Reboot! And luckily, that restored the great sounding audio and the controls started to work.
  • There have been reports of a loud "click" or "pop" with MCU2 and the Light Harmonic amp. So far, I have not experienced this.
  • I may now have to break down and subscribe to TIDAL.
  • The screen brightness and clarity are stunning.
  • I have the @artrsci Front camera switch kit, which I'm also happy to report still works great. I'd be crushed if this stopped working!
  • I didn't take pics of the brushed bezel before the upgrade, but luckily, there was no damage or mis-aligned panels after the upgrade.
  • I'm still on the last version of 10.2, so I'm back to my habit of rejecting all update requests -- until Tesla forces an update on my car (as they have done a few times in the past).
  • I really didn't think I needed all the Theater and Toy-box gadgets that come with MCU2, but yeah, they are so much fun to play with. I can actually envision watching Youtube or Netflix while supercharging.
  • I'm happy that the fine folks at the Milford SC worked-around and didn't disrupt all my custom mods in the car: Front camera switch; hardwired radar and laser detector; front and rear dashcam; rear lighted Applique; WASP Pedestrian horn; hardwired connections for two cell phones; and of course the 100kWh battery upgrade.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with this upgrade on my 7 year old car. I really see no need to upgrade to PLAID any time soon. I'll keep this old beast going for the foreseeable future.

And for any TMC rabble-rousers, here -- I'll save you the trouble. :)
I am curious how and where you were able to convert P85D to P100DL? Do you know if this could be done for a P85? Maybe to a P100?

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
@HankLloydRight Please elaborate on the following mods you've done to your car

1. Front camera switch;
  2. front and rear dashcam;
  3. rear lighted Applique;
@SilverGS, what year car do you have? I ask because AP2 Summon does not like the installed front camera kit. The summon gets confused when the car is left in front camera view when you attempt summon. And default on the switch is front camera view. There may be other "reactions" that AP2 does not like about the installed switch. I had it on my 13 & 17. I removed it after MCU2 installed and summon was better than with MCU1. And I miss the front camera. It was the best mod I had made on my S. It was a 11 out of 10 and next best mod I installed was 7.

@SilverGS, what year car do you have? I ask because AP2 Summon does not like the installed front camera kit. The summon gets confused when the car is left in front camera view when you attempt summon. And default on the switch is front camera view. There may be other "reactions" that AP2 does not like about the installed switch. I had it on my 13 & 17. I removed it after MCU2 installed and summon was better than with MCU1. And I miss the front camera. It was the best mod I had made on my S. It was a 11 out of 10 and next best mod I installed was 7.
I have a 2016 with AP1.

Not related, but did you just say Summon works better with MCU2? I just upgraded to MCU2 and am very curious about that

Supposed to be getting my MCU upgrade this week. Whether Tesla actually have the parts available will be another matter entirely. 🤣
Just ask whether they've got the cameras needed to do the full upgrade. I've not inquired into mine, but it's been a few months, and now with an impending trade-in it'll be up to Tesla or the next owner to get the work done.

Reactions: Sean.