Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you've touched on the real issue. Tesla service in many areas is overwhelmed by the sheer number of vehicles on the road now. They have to give priority to their warranty customers. We already know the MCU replacement is about $2,500, add the IC and wiring for another $1,000+, plus a conservative 5 hours of labor and you're looking at least $4-4.5k assuming no profit margin. Considering Bioweapon Mode has been sold for $750 and $500 despite only requiring a quick software change, a $170 filter and under 30 minutes of labor, I suspect an MCU upgrade is going to be more than people expect and won't be offered until Tesla has their service issues under control.
I'm assuming at $2500 they are making money or at the very least covering costs on the like for like MCU replacements due to failure..

I love how all of the Model 3 and MCU 2 owners are like, “Sorry bro, but you can’t expect Tesla to keep upgrading hardware in older cars. You need to just go buy a new one and stop complaining.”

I guarantee you if half of the M3’s were in the same position as us MCU1 owners, there would be an uprising. It just sucks because most of the owners going without the games and theater mode are the people that paid the most. I personally don’t think a Jan.-Feb. 2018 Model S or X should be considered outdated and not upgradeable. Those owners barely have had there car for 18 months, and now have no upgrade path while major updates pass them by.
Look, yes it sucks, I'm one of the MS owners that don't get Theater mode. But hey - consider the plight of the person who bought a snazzy new, nose-refreshed Model S in September of 2016... stuck with AP1.
No Summon, let alone smart summon
No nav on autopilot
No auto lane change (signal triggered only, IIRC)
No Sentry Mode
No Dash Cam
No hope for FSD
All of those things became possible if you'd just bought your car one month later in October of 2016. ONE Month!
Oh, but those AP1 owners were loving it while the October build owners had no Autopilot at all for almost a year...

Also consider the absurdity of being upset because you can't watch Netflix in your car. Wow how far we've come. :)
Pair a good LTE tablet with your car's bluetooth and presto! Netflix in your car, for just a couple hundred bucks.

And they could lower the cost of the MCU2 upgrade by ~$1k by moving your old screen to the new MCU. (Assuming you don't have a "bad" one that is leaking or has the yellow border issues.)
New MCU uses a different screen.

I'm assuming at $2500 they are making money or at the very least covering costs on the like for like MCU replacements due to failure..
Supposedly service isn't a profit center, so one assumes that $2,500 covers their costs, but the MCU upgrade isn't the same as replacing the MCU with a like unit. It involves replacing the Instrument Cluster and supposedly a new wiring harness and Bluetooth antennas.

No, MCU2 *definitely* has a different screen. It is a different (lower; 1080p) resolution, has a much better backlight driver (no more crazy annoying PWM flicker at lower brightnesses), and presumably doesn't get the yellow border...
Lots of MCU2 cases of yellow border syndrome.

Post from @verygreen discussing the resolution “mismatch” here:

MCU2 Upgrade

• Helpful
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
Look, yes it sucks, I'm one of the MS owners that don't get Theater mode. But hey - consider the plight of the person who bought a snazzy new, nose-refreshed Model S in September of 2016... stuck with AP1.
No Summon, let alone smart summon
No nav on autopilot
No auto lane change (signal triggered only, IIRC)
No Sentry Mode
No Dash Cam
No hope for FSD
All of those things became possible if you'd just bought your car one month later in October of 2016. ONE Month!
Oh, but those AP1 owners were loving it while the October build owners had no Autopilot at all for almost a year...

Also consider the absurdity of being upset because you can't watch Netflix in your car. Wow how far we've come. :)
Pair a good LTE tablet with your car's bluetooth and presto! Netflix in your car, for just a couple hundred bucks.

You’re 100% correct. Now where’s my MCU2? :D

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
Full Sentry mode is not related to your MCU version. You are limited because of AP2.0 and/or the different cameras it uses. So getting the FSD computer only may enable full Sentry mode.
Correct except under 2019.32.11 Sentry Mode and Dashcam use the rear camera and the camera feed uses MCU2,
No, MCU2 *definitely* has a different screen. It is a different (lower; 1080p) resolution, has a much better backlight driver (no more crazy annoying PWM flicker at lower brightnesses), and presumably doesn't get the yellow border...
mcu2 screen is exact same resolution. Green confirmed via firmware files. It's a myth that originated with bad browser user agent data.

Actually it doesn't. The rear camera feed goes to the AP computer first and then is passed through to the MCU. (Except on the Model 3 I think it is digitized and passed to the MCU via the network instead of as a camera signal.)
Mike, appreciate your comments but you misunderstand. I understand how the cameras are all routed through the APE first, but video processing is now divided between APE and MCU for dashcam.

On previous firmwares prior to 2019.32, Dashcam didn't use rear camera at all. Now it does. However, dashcam depends on MCU2 (for S/X) for processing the rear camera feed recording of Dashcam. All other dashcam cameras are still handled by APE 2.5/3. As such, if you are on hw2.5 with mcu1, your dashcam will not be able to record rear camera at all. Only mcu2 cars will get rear camera dashcam.