Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Mine won't even come up at all now... it just times out with ""Error initializing Bluetooth - Call Service""

I noticed it 3-4 days after getting the SW upgrade, which I think was the first time I tried a call, so timing is interesting. Especially as it would seem odd for a BT hardware failure to also affect voice commands, which doesn't depend on having anything connected via BT.

that was the first sign for my mcu failing due to Emmc. Within a couple of weeks it was dead. Sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes because it keeps it awake and logging
Ugh. I use sentry all the time.

This is slightly off topic, but tangentially related. I keep going back and forth in my mind trying to decide which ownership model Tesla fits into; is it a “drivable Server” in which case I can’t really expect more than 5 years of ownership before I have to get a new one, or is it a next generation Car, in which case I would expect to be able to replace parts, update it, and keep it for 8-10 years.

This isn’t just academic for me as I leased and am in year 3 and was thinking of buying it out because there are things I value on my current S that don’t exist in current product (pano roof, and now possibly seats with better lumbar support (jury is out on this one)). What do others think the realistic useful life of a Mdel S is? I will add, that I average 18k miles per year.

8+ years, but you are likely going to pay for some repairs, especially the MCU in that time. The after market eMMC should last the remaining life of the car and I don't think it is that expensive.
Thanks. I’m not worried about replacing eMMC other than not getting impacted by it while on a trip or another bad time. I don’t remember - is there a way to see how much time you have left, or is this just a clock ticking..

This is slightly off topic, but tangentially related. I keep going back and forth in my mind trying to decide which ownership model Tesla fits into; is it a “drivable Server” in which case I can’t really expect more than 5 years of ownership before I have to get a new one, or is it a next generation Car, in which case I would expect to be able to replace parts, update it, and keep it for 8-10 years.

This isn’t just academic for me as I leased and am in year 3 and was thinking of buying it out because there are things I value on my current S that don’t exist in current product (pano roof, and now possibly seats with better lumbar support (jury is out on this one)). What do others think the realistic useful life of a Mdel S is? I will add, that I average 18k miles per year.

I expect 1 million kms at least (600000 miles).

Aftermarket emmc replacement seems like cheap insurance, if done before there’s a failure. It’s maybe $500, and then the problem is solved for life.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks. I’m not worried about replacing eMMC other than not getting impacted by it while on a trip or another bad time. I don’t remember - is there a way to see how much time you have left, or is this just a clock ticking..
It's a bit of both. The only way to track it would be to have root or get Tesla to provide you the data, that will vary by SC....

Maybe enough MCU1 failures will trigger Tesla to make the upgrade a reality

Reality = Tesla is selling 100k MCU2+ cars per quarter.

While I have an MCU1 car, I would never choose to artificially affect the longevity of my vehicle by knowingly use features that would shorten the lifespan.

#1. There's no guarantee MCU1 will fail within the warranty period no matter the usage
#2. I would prefer Tesla focus on revenue, profitability and producing 200k cars per quarter, the less Tesla spends on my car the better

I knew what I was getting into with a now nearly 7 year old Model S, and I do expect some out of warranty expense is coming my way, if that's MCU1 replacement due to this logging issue, or air suspension or something else, I knew I was buying a premium vehicle that would need premium expenses post warranty (like all of my other cars I've owned post warranty).

I do wish Tesla would have reduced the flash I/O sooner, but lots of cars I've owned have had electronic failures requiring thousands of post warranty replacement. The days of repairing my own carburetor were over in 1990, and all that high school auto-shop knowledge is now useless.

Again, I am not saying I don't want Tesla to fix issues with the older cars on the road, but not at the expense of focus on massively increasing production capacity.

#2. I would prefer Tesla focus on revenue, profitability and producing 200k cars per quarter, the less Tesla spends on my car the better

Is this an owners forum or an investor's forum? When I handed Tesla $90k I didn't get equity in return. I got a car. I'm not an investor, I'm a customer. The reason Tesla gets away with this crap is that so many of the early adopters see themselves as investors rather than customers.

I regard my S as a driveable data-center, not a driveable server. There are lots of computers in it but by itself there are several assets that aren't (directly) related to the computers.

There's no good information on the useful old-age of an S; there are plenty of people who drive them to 200k miles, but they're all operating under the unlimited mileage warranty.

There is a current thread of an out-of-warranty 60 with a battery failure where tesla's offering to replace the battery pack for $11000 and put a 4 year / 50k mile warranty on that. I suspect 85/90/100 packs will have similar replacement costs or less in the future when they age-out.

There are $3000 MCU failures, $3000 DC-DC thingies; $3000 AC systems, etc. So probably in your car there are six to twelve thingies that have a non-zero chance of failing that tesla will ask for $3000 to replace and will warranty the work for 4 years.

My car is quite a wonderful car; I think I'd be willing keep driving it and would pay $3000 a year in service costs once it is 8 years old. My other car is a 2003 audi allroad that I would probably still be driving except that the interior is ruined because the sunroof leaked and soaked a bunch of things; there are rust spots in the fenders.

The mystery is that in 5 years, are there going to be independent repair shops with the tools to update / repair these cars?

The mystery is that in 5 years, are there going to be independent repair shops with the tools to update / repair these cars?
It seems like it was about three years ago when Elon or (John what’s his face, that isn’t there anymore) had talked about doing this. It doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult to facilitate third-party mechanic shops. Hopefully they’re just being slow in the implementation and haven’t changed their minds.