Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been there in fine print of FSD since the beginning - nobody can predict when, subject to validation and regulation (which they have been doing since 2016, so obviously this validation is taking some time, took them over 6 months to validate automatic headlights).

Well look at the types of things Tesla has to deal with regarding regulations!!! --->

https://i.imgur.com/ca5MIXi.jpg

ca5MIXi.jpg

It's been there in fine print of FSD since the beginning - nobody can predict when, subject to validation and regulation (which they have been doing since 2016, so obviously this validation is taking some time, took them over 6 months to validate automatic headlights).

Realistically, Tesla probably doesn't have a exact plan to upgrade AP2.0 cars. Possibly hoping enough cars come off the road (totaled, back through CPO where they can strip FSD and make it not upgradable, maybe the "sold through 3rd party, we strip it" approach they are trying with FUSC), and for the remaining cars they will wait until they are running very profitable and have cash to spare (outgrow your debt strategy), maybe offer ~$10K discount off your next car and FUSC in exchange for you agreeing to strip FSD from your car.

Well, and the current reality is that the AP2.0 system can handle everything that the software throws at it. I'm not thrilled about being put off myself, but that's where we are at. There are not any features of AP that it cannot perform, so we really are not missing out on anything with the hardware upgrade... and that's Tesla's defense right now. Once the AP2 vehicles stop getting software features of FSD because they don't have the horsepower to run them, that's when the real problems for Tesla begin.

Once the AP2 vehicles stop getting software features of FSD because they don't have the horsepower to run them, that's when the real problems for Tesla begin.

For all we know, this may be why more FSD features have not been released yet. I know Elon's optimism is overly zealous, but maybe, just maybe, they do have reasonable FSD already developed but the delay is how can they implement this to the entire paid for already FSD fleet?

For all we know, this may be why more FSD features have not been released yet. I know Elon's optimism is overly zealous, but maybe, just maybe, they do have reasonable FSD already developed but the delay is how can they implement this to the entire paid for already FSD fleet?
Sure makes it an interesting company to watch. How are they going to wiggle their way out of this one? The suspense is killing me. Thank you Elon for all the entertainment.

Well look at the types of things Tesla has to deal with regarding regulations!!! --->

https://i.imgur.com/ca5MIXi.jpg

ca5MIXi.jpg

Good grief. I really hope that email is fake or that it has been brutalized by someone retyping it (who maybe doesn't know English well and/or doesn't have spellcheck).

Not to be a prude, but that's not an acceptably, professionally written release.

Reactions: croman

Realistically, Tesla probably doesn't have a exact plan to upgrade AP2.0 cars. Possibly hoping enough cars come off the road (totaled, back through CPO where they can strip FSD and make it not upgradable, maybe the "sold through 3rd party, we strip it" approach they are trying with FUSC), and for the remaining cars they will wait until they are running very profitable and have cash to spare (outgrow your debt strategy), maybe offer ~$10K discount off your next car and FUSC in exchange for you agreeing to strip FSD from your car.

This is probably the most likely scenario. They are hoping enough ap2.0 and Ap 2.5 MCU1 cars just go away after a year or two. They then might offer to refund the FSD fee, or transfer to a new purchase. Anyone thinking they will retrofit MCU2 to get FSD to work better get that out of their head. Zero chance they do that

Well, and the current reality is that the AP2.0 system can handle everything that the software throws at it. I'm not thrilled about being put off myself, but that's where we are at. There are not any features of AP that it cannot perform, so we really are not missing out on anything with the hardware upgrade... and that's Tesla's defense right now. Once the AP2 vehicles stop getting software features of FSD because they don't have the horsepower to run them, that's when the real problems for Tesla begin.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Looks like we have a price attached so maybe that means something?View attachment 489781

Elon essentially spent 0 time on the subject.

Throws out a price that is high enough to hopefully discourage people, and also downplaying the worth.

Even if it were 2,000 to us for a limited population which is getting more insignificant by the day, it would be a lot of work for Tesla in R&D / opportunity cost to make it work.

Make it $10,000, one person does it. Make it $1,000 everyone will do it but not worth Tesla's time, effort, profits.

There's no business case at all to do this.

He's looking at multiple gigafactories, Model Y, Cybertruck, plaid Model S/X.

He basically said "Go buy an iPad".

Looks like we have a price attached so maybe that means something?View attachment 489781
$2,000 would be a bargain. I think it's a bad sign that he is downplaying the need for the upgrade. I see his point though. My MCU is working fine for now, so unless it included Sentry Mode camera functionality, I wouldn't consider doing an upgrade at this time, but I definitely want the option available. It's only a matter of time before I'll need/want a more powerful MCU. I'm not giving up hope.

downplaying the need for mcu1 upgrade for limited entertainment improvement is kinda comical when they are now charging people including mcu1 $10/mo for "premium connectivity" when all we (MCU1) really get is maps and music. if those features we lack are considered limited entertainment then is it unreasonable to think not having them should come at no cost per month since those entertainment features are the most data heavy anyway. I'm not going to pay for the premium connectivity personally but if I had MCU2 or a path to MCU2 I'd reconsider it.That makes my 2k install now worth an extra 10/mo in revenue that wouldn't already be there.

$2,000 would be a bargain. I think it's a bad sign that he is downplaying the need for the upgrade. I see his point though. My MCU is working fine for now, so unless it included Sentry Mode camera functionality, I wouldn't consider doing an upgrade at this time, but I definitely want the option available. It's only a matter of time before I'll need/want a more powerful MCU. I'm not giving up hope.
For him it doesnt make sense and isn't worth it because hes not the one driving a tesla with MCU1. He drives whatever he wants so he doesnt have any idea about the difference between 1 and 2.

Reactions: croman and ahkahn

Except that the MCU1 eMMC dies every 4 years and requires ~$4k to replace..... at that point might as well upgrade at half cost to something actually robust, has a working browser (which was basically removed w/ v9+), and doesn't take 20+ secs to load the map.

Except that the MCU1 eMMC dies every 4 years and requires ~$4k to replace..... at that point might as well upgrade at half cost to something actually robust, has a working browser (which was basically removed w/ v9+), and doesn't take 20+ secs to load the map.
There is no concrete evidence that supports the claim that the emmc dies every 4 years in fact there are alot of these cars still doing just fine

i might bite on $10k discount, strip and transfer FSD to new car for free. Option to sell old car privately or trade.