Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So according to our very own verygreen (on twitter)...

"for ap2+ cars there's now a bulletin so if you need a replacement they are suppsoed to give you mcu2 but it's not advertised and not all service centers appear to be doing it. Don't go about breaking your MCUs!"
Also, if you need a new screen they can just replace the screen, not the whole MCU (plus dash cluster with a retrofit). I was wondering what they’d do when they ran out of tegra MCUs though.

So according to our very own verygreen (on twitter)...

"for ap2+ cars there's now a bulletin so if you need a replacement they are suppsoed to give you mcu2 but it's not advertised and not all service centers appear to be doing it. Don't go about breaking your MCUs!"
If true, this would cause a situation where we have AP2.0 with MCU2, something that had never occurred. Now, we think the AP and MCU are not tightly couples, but it still is a new setup that needs to be validated.

Also, in MCU1, the IC is a separate compute unit data linked to the MCU. In MCU2, it is just a screen. How does the MCU2 integrated with the IC previously hooked up to MCU1 via data link? Does MCU2 provide the same data output? Or is the IC also replaced?

If true, this would cause a situation where we have AP2.0 with MCU2, something that had never occurred. Now, we think the AP and MCU are not tightly couples, but it still is a new setup that needs to be validated.

Also, in MCU1, the IC is a separate compute unit data linked to the MCU. In MCU2, it is just a screen. How does the MCU2 integrated with the IC previously hooked up to MCU1 via data link? Does MCU2 provide the same data output? Or is the IC also replaced?

MCU2 + AP2 should really be a non-issue... but sure, is a HW config that they would have to validate.

Regarding the IC, we don't know yet since nobody has done the retrofit that I am aware of. Could be that they swap ICs... or could be that the retrofit MCU2 works with the existing Tegra IC.

I offer my AP2 S100D up as a guinea pig!

It will be interesting to find out what happens with the instrument cluster screen.

Reactions: bmah

MCU2 + AP2 should really be a non-issue... but sure, is a HW config that they would have to validate.

Regarding the IC, we don't know yet since nobody has done the retrofit that I am aware of. Could be that they swap ICs... or could be that the retrofit MCU2 works with the existing Tegra IC.

It's been done. IC was replaced.

Can you elaborate on how do you get something like that done?

I wish I knew a generalizable way, but unfortunately it was a unique situation. There was a vehicle that had repeated issues with MCU1 units, and the SC did a MCU2 retrofit to work around them (I presume in consult with HQ/engineering since I don't think there was a bulletin at the time, but I don't actually know that). The same SC has since rejected subsequent requests.

Reactions: Tdreamer
As opposed to MCU2 + AP1, which I'm gonna guess (based on no actual data whatsoever) is never ever going to happen.

Bruce.
If Musk keeps his promise to allow MCU1 to MCU2 upgrades, then AP1+MCU2 will definitely happen. AP2.5 and AP2 upgraded to HW3 are the simplest MCU upgrades. But the AP2.0 and AP1 configurations require testing by Tesla engineering.

I just hope for the sake of AP1 and AP2.0 owners they don't find hacks in their software causing this configuration to cause more issues than it's worth fixing. If so they are likely to only offer it to AP2.5 owners ...

AP2.5 and AP2 upgraded to HW3 are the simplest MCU upgrades.
To my knowledge, there's no MCU upgrade included as part of the AP upgrade. The APE module can be easily swapped out for HW3 without touching the MCU (which runs infotainment and settings/control interface), similar to the way you can upgrade your home theater stereo system without upgrading your TV.

To my knowledge, there's no MCU upgrade included as part of the AP upgrade. The APE module can be easily swapped out for HW3 without touching the MCU (which runs infotainment and settings/control interface), similar to the way you can upgrade your home theater stereo system without upgrading your TV.
Correct, the chance of HW3 requiring an upgrade to MCU2 is almost zero. That would be insane.