Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct, the chance of HW3 requiring an upgrade to MCU2 is almost zero. That would be insane.
We know that it is exactly zero. Elon has stated Mobile Service can swap the AP computer ‘for the FSD computer’ in under 30 minutes or so. From what the access we’ve done for the front camera project, all you need to do is pull the glove compartment. I thought this was pretty general knowledge at this point. (Sorry if I missed something above!)

We know that it is exactly zero. Elon has stated Mobile Service can swap the AP computer ‘for the FSD computer’ in under 30 minutes or so. From what the access we’ve done for the front camera project, all you need to do is pull the glove compartment. I thought this was pretty general knowledge at this point. (Sorry if I missed something above!)

There is an overall confusion with AP3 and MCU upgrades.

MCU/1 to MCU/2 upgrade - Elon said it's coming, but so far there's been no word at all from Tesla.

AP2 or 2.5 to FSDComputer - This is coming, and the upgrade is very easy as you're right it's behind the glovebox and Mobile Service will be able to do it. This has been known since AP2 came out and Elon mentioned that if we need new hardware to achieve FSD it's an easy Mobile Service swap.

Now, there' no direct link between the FSDComputer upgrade and MCU. While one is very easy (a 30 minutes procedure in your driveway by Mobile Service) which is the FSDComputer upgrade, the MCU retrofit is much larger in terms of both labor and parts. We all with MCU/1 are all hoping that the retrofit program will still be offered and for the same price as the replacement MCU/1 (around $2000 USD).

MCU/1 so far limits our ability to get the new Chromium browser (from early reports), as well as the original launch of the Pole Position game. There may be others as they continue to release new capabilities out that exceed the processing power and responsiveness of MCU/1.

There is an overall confusion with AP3 and MCU upgrades.

MCU/1 to MCU/2 upgrade - Elon said it's coming, but so far there's been no word at all from Tesla.

AP2 or 2.5 to FSDComputer - This is coming, and the upgrade is very easy as you're right it's behind the glovebox and Mobile Service will be able to do it. This has been known since AP2 came out and Elon mentioned that if we need new hardware to achieve FSD it's an easy Mobile Service swap.

Now, there' no direct link between the FSDComputer upgrade and MCU. While one is very easy (a 30 minutes procedure in your driveway by Mobile Service) which is the FSDComputer upgrade, the MCU retrofit is much larger in terms of both labor and parts. We all with MCU/1 are all hoping that the retrofit program will still be offered and for the same price as the replacement MCU/1 (around $2000 USD).

MCU/1 so far limits our ability to get the new Chromium browser (from early reports), as well as the original launch of the Pole Position game. There may be others as they continue to release new capabilities out that exceed the processing power and responsiveness of MCU/1.

Good post. Looks like MCU1 also wont support video in the future

I wish I knew a generalizable way, but unfortunately it was a unique situation. There was a vehicle that had repeated issues with MCU1 units, and the SC did a MCU2 retrofit to work around them (I presume in consult with HQ/engineering since I don't think there was a bulletin at the time, but I don't actually know that). The same SC has since rejected subsequent requests.

This guy obviously knew how to game the system . I applaud his persistance. Anyone actually believe only his car had issues with MCU1. I think he just kept bugging them until MCU2 was the only option

Is it your MCU that is being replaced or just the screen? People call the screen the MCU when in fact it is just a display for the MCU computer.
The screen was replaced earlier now the MCU. It keeps crashing. Backup camera wont turn on or show image from previous day or different location. They did not had in stock, placed order an order now for MCU1

While I don't doubt that it "works" does it for example display music stations on the IC? Would like to see the schematics of how the IC gets fed it's data.
Interesting. I think the MCU2 would have to publish that media interface on an API. Maybe they didn't remove that code from the MCU1 software build when they build MCU2.

The phone controls aren't available when the MCU is offline. Those would need a similar API. What else on the IC comes from the MCU?

My MCU rebooted twice on the way to work this morning. Just updated to 2019.12. It's unfortunately a reality that I think we will have to live with.

Damn that sucks. If they really want to discontinue support for MCU1 they really should create one last light build and then stop updating them and then start offering MCU2 retrofits.

I haven't had a reboot of my MCU in months (other than forced reboots I do after a new software update). I'm currently on 2019.8.5, so a bit behind you but is it possible something else is causing them. Do you have a USB connected with songs? Big file size for many songs? Are you trying to use dashcam mode?
I'm AP2.0 so no dash cam. No devices plugged in either. Spotify is buggy (but always has been), track usually gets stuck like scratched CD - then the whole MCU reboots.

My 2018 P100D MCU1, 2019.8.5, had a self re-boot yesterday. That is the first time in 9 months of ownership that this has happened. I also just started using the dash cam feature so cant say if its that or firmware. If reboots continue I will stop dash cam and see. Also, I would be first in line for a MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit, so hoping this happens soon.

Reactions: Nrazar
I have a 11/2017 build MS 100D with AP2.5 and MC1. About a week ago I upgraded to 2019.8.x. I have been using the dashcam for months prior with no reboot issues.

As soon as I upgraded to 2019.8.x, I started getting reboots (about one every day). I've also sporadically lost all sound (directionals, alert tones, and radio) requiring a reboot to restore the sound. All this bugginess started with 2019.8.x and I for me, it does not seem related to dashcam, but I have not tried turning it off.

Reactions: mazeminder
Damn that sucks. If they really want to discontinue support for MCU1 they really should create one last light build and then stop updating them and then start offering MCU2 retrofits.

I think the MCU/2 retrofit is coming soon, however it's going to cost you, so expect to pay around the same price as replacing the MCU/1 out of warranty (approximately $1500 I would think).

I'm just hoping this retrofit program also includes the new 5G antennas and a higher LTE class, but we really won't know.

I am taking the my car for a MCU check up at the service center today. One issue are the yellow borders - I'll ask to have the screen replaced but there is more ... curious if anyone has found this strange correlation.

A week ago on Sunday 4/7/19 the MCU started rebooting frequently ... as in every 3-5 minutes. I must have had probably 7-9 reboots on a drive. Kinda makes the climate control tricky while it's rebooting frequently .... I tried removing the USB for dash cam, running different audio source (radio, slacker, phone), nav, no-nav, noa, not noa and these variations yielded identical outcomes. I parked the car at the destination of the drive and did the power off cycle. Waited 2-3 minutes, tapped the brakes. Everything was up. Started driving back and 3-5 min into the drive ....another reboot ... and a couple more on the way home.

Later it just got stuck in a reboot loop - blank screen, then the T logo, then blank screen, then T logo, etc. After about 3-4 of these it just went blank. So I thought, ok, that's it, it's kaput. Something changed - hardware failed, software changed in some way, or perhaps some data was corrupt someplace.

Tried calling Tesla support. Sunday, closed. F*

My home FW sends an 8am update of In/Out traffic for the past 24 hrs. I noticed two things: the car had received something on Sat 4/6/2019 or Sun 4/7/2019 before 8am. 15.3Mb of bits *sent to* the car. On Monday after 8AM I noticed that 58Mb were *sent to* the car.

So ... decided to reboot the MCU by doing the 2 finger salute on the wheel. The T came on ... booted OK.... and .... has been working without any issues since then.

When the MCU booted I called Tesla Support. I had told them what happened the previous day. They said my car was working great and there were no signs of any reboots or trouble with the MCU the prior day (wtf?) No, they said, everything is "green" and working great.

My working theory is that something went to the car on Sat->Sun that broke the MCU on Sunday and something went to the car Sun->Mon that fixed it. Skipping the facts that the MCU appeared to be kaput on Sunday (blank screen after the T) the car still received something on Sun->Mon night and somehow fixed it.

Thoughts ?

I wrote this in the context of asking for an MCU upgrade today too. Stay tuned.

My MCU was becoming super sluggish with constant lockups and even the trip and energy meters had quit working. I took it to my local service center and discussed it with a tech. He suggested a full reset to factory settings and completely reset everything in the car. He did that and that seems to have fixed my problems.