Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really? MCU2 can't be as bad.
The same thing happens with voice commands on our model 3. It’s simply as if the server just refuses to respond occasionally.

Bugs just happen quicker on MCU2 :). If a slightly faster computer (and by slightly faster I mean 4x slower than the cheapest laptop at Costco) solved these kinds of bugs, most software engineers would be out of a job.

I find the voice recognition to be exceptionally good, when it attempts to recognize. But occasionally it simply won't try, repeatedly.
Exactly the same experience on MCU1 and MCU2. Its amazing when it works but yeah maybe 1/4 of the time it just doesn’t transcribe anything and asks me to try again.

Repeating oneself is one of the most frustrating human experiences. It seems like an obvious idea to record the voice clip and submit it to the cloud again if it failed the first time.

Reactions: MTOman and MrBadger
I'm in the same boat as you. When I bought my inventory car one year ago, I was unaware that a new model year car could have anything old in it (MCU1 vs MCU2). My fault...yes.

I'm curious, besides response speed, browser functionality and ability to play games, what does MCU2 offer over MCU1 ?

Probably the biggest complaint I have about my '18 SP100D is the crappy voice command system. On average it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to "Call xxxxx" or "navigate to yyyy". I often end up pulling my phone out of my pocket or using the touch screen to enter navigate address. Both dangerous when driving. Would MCU2 improve this ?

I have MCU1. My voice command works well. Perhaps something wrong with the mic?

Actually it occurred to me that an upgrade to an “MCU3” could be made available for both MCU1 and MCU2, and that would make lots of folks happy. More folks might be more willing to pay for such an upgrade, making it more financially feasible for Tesla.

MCU3 upgrade will start at 80K. The advantage is you also get a new car with it and as a bonus you get to keep your old MCU and car too!

Voice commands ignore me sometimes, esp. when MCU1 is overloaded. Browser still grinds to a halt after use, even after the latest updates (another one installing right now though).. music also stutters at times now, never used to do that... hmm, "upgrade" to new OS was at a high price for MCU1 and we don't seem to get basic QA and timely bug patching anymore. Now I have bubbles at the top of the screen... MCU2 replacement under the extended service agreement, here I come, right ?

Reactions: neroden and selfbp
On my MCU1 cars I have 100% success for voice commands, but only after the first try. ;)
I only wish mine were as predictable, it can be confused time after time after time, or even ignore my 2nd tap to stop listening. Seems to me either the tap-on, tap-off code (we used to hold the button to talk) still has bugs rearing their heads in some circumstances (eg. leaving a flag open after a certain type of failure)...

... or maybe it's just that an old, overloaded MCU1 starts doing Bad Things.

As far as the bubbles in my screen, SC says they just replace the screen, not the whole MCU (yet... ?) Now on 2019.24.1.1d133ad for a week or so and I don't think it's needed to reboot due to browser unresponsive, so that's good news. But now 3G is dropping.. again. It feels like wack-a-mole.. perhaps MCU1 just can't do everything they're asking, and they don't want to / don't have the resources to debug.. ?

On my MCU1 cars I have 100% success for voice commands, but only after the first try. ;)
Mine work the first time, except directly in front of the garage (where they don't work at all). The reason for this is that there is just enough WiFi to connect but not enough to actually do anything. Once I pull out of the driveway, voice command works just fine because it no longer is connected to WiFi.

I only wish mine were as predictable, it can be confused time after time after time, or even ignore my 2nd tap to stop listening. Seems to me either the tap-on, tap-off code (we used to hold the button to talk) still has bugs rearing their heads in some circumstances (eg. leaving a flag open after a certain type of failure)...

... or maybe it's just that an old, overloaded MCU1 starts doing Bad Things.

As far as the bubbles in my screen, SC says they just replace the screen, not the whole MCU (yet... ?) Now on 2019.24.1.1d133ad for a week or so and I don't think it's needed to reboot due to browser unresponsive, so that's good news. But now 3G is dropping.. again. It feels like wack-a-mole.. perhaps MCU1 just can't do everything they're asking, and they don't want to / don't have the resources to debug.. ?

They are planning to change carrier from att to either Rogers or bell to solve cellular signal dropping
It’s not hardware issue

indeed MCU2 is gaining more and more features now and I wish to do a upgrade

especially using phone as a key feature

Reactions: selfbp
After getting a new Navigation Data update this week to AU-2019.24-10589, my MCU1 has been painfully slow (multiple reboots daily, MCU freezing during entering pin-to-drive and text issues).

I went digging for answers and it seems Tesla has made a big mistake.

MCU1 is a 32-bit processor, which caps file sizes to 4GB... the maps file I was issued was 5GB... It seems this is causing MCU1 to attempt to install the maps file over and over without success which is causing all of the resources to be used up.

Source: green on Twitter

It appears Tesla just simply doesn't care about MCU1 anymore, I don't know how a tech company overlooks something like this... that's a pretty basic and huge problem.

IMG_8145.JPG

After getting a new Navigation Data update this week to AU-2019.24-10589, my MCU1 has been painfully slow (multiple reboots daily, MCU freezing during entering pin-to-drive and text issues).

I went digging for answers and it seems Tesla has made a big mistake.

MCU1 is a 32-bit processor, which caps file sizes to 4GB... the maps file I was issued was 5GB... It seems this is causing MCU1 to attempt to install the maps file over and over without success which is causing all of the resources to be used up.

Source: green on Twitter

It appears Tesla just simply doesn't care about MCU1 anymore, I don't know how a tech company overlooks something like this... that's a pretty basic and huge problem.

View attachment 433543
Are you sure? I've never seen 32-bit systems that are capped to 4GB files on the filesystem because of the CPU architecture. Max 4GB physical memory on the other hand is quite common on 32- bit systems.

Have a read of the twitter thread I linked, outlines the issue in more detail.
Ah see it now when I clicked the link. Makes perfectly sense if they use a 32-bit integer to track the position in the map files. Will cause an endless loop of loading it.

It's easily fixable though. 32-bit systems do support 64-bit ints and big files. Their programmers just need to be aware of it and use them where needed.

Reactions: neroden
It's easily fixable though. 32-bit systems do support 64-bit ints and big files. Their programmers just need to be aware of it and use them where needed.
Green seems to indicate the updater is now in a loop so further firmware upgrades may not be possible... Interesting to see how this plays out. May require a service visit

Downright scary that this got pushed to customer cars. It'd fail on 100% of MCU1 cars. Do Tesla do any testing at all against their hardware revisions? Unfortunately I think I know the answer :(

• Informative
Reactions: neroden