Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't have anything to do with the number of miles driven. It has more to do with the uptime of the MCU. So if you have a third party app that prevents the MCU from going to sleep your MCU is going to fail sooner than it otherwise would.

i.e. a Taxi that travels at low speed and is stopped a lot will have it's MCU fail at a much lower mileage than a commuter car like the Tesloop cars that drive non-stop almost every day.

Obviously. But speaking in averages, should the average user expect to have to replace it every aprox 50-70k miles (you know, because most cars specify age of vehicles and maintenance programs by either months/years, or miles.... not hour runtime or starts and stops)
For me, the end-user is what matters. I am not a taxi or 1000mile/day commuter.

It doesn't have anything to do with the number of miles driven. It has more to do with the uptime of the MCU. So if you have a third party app that prevents the MCU from going to sleep your MCU is going to fail sooner than it otherwise would.

i.e. a Taxi that travels at low speed and is stopped a lot will have it's MCU fail at a much lower mileage than a commuter car like the Tesloop cars that drive non-stop almost every day.

Yikes! Does that mean that my use of TeslaFi is prematurely wearing out my eMMC?

Reactions: darxsys
It sounds like they're aware of the issue and what causes it but it still seems like they're doing precious little to mitigate it.
Tesla has been aware for a long time now, they just chose not not make it a priority. Elon's M.O. is to not worry about problems until things blow up. As an increasing number of cars are starting to die, the problem has percolated its way to higher priority as this has the potential to create headlines in the media, especially if they run out of re-manufactured MCU1's, as it seems they don't manufacture them anymore (almost everyone here with this issue who had Tesla fix it got a refurb).

Yes. But it shouldn't be too bad unless you don't have TeslaFi properly configured to allow your car to sleep.
I can't seem to get my 07/2017 X 100D to go to sleep no matter what settings I try in TeslaFI. My son's 3 sleeps a lot tho. I sent him this thread post some time ago:

Related post: TeslaFi - Battery Degradation Reports (upload your data)

"Here are my settings, car goes to sleep no problem (and stays asleep). Typically goes to sleep in 43 minutes. I have "Deep Sleep" option off."

0vgYqgX.jpg

Agreed, Mine lasted for 145K miles despite running VisibleTesla against it.

Tesla has been aware for a long time now, they just chose not not make it a priority. Elon's M.O. is to not worry about problems until things blow up. As an increasing number of cars are starting to die, the problem has percolated its way to higher priority as this has the potential to create headlines in the media, especially if they run out of re-manufactured MCU1's, as it seems they don't manufacture them anymore (almost everyone here with this issue who had Tesla fix it got a refurb).
A question that I have is if you receive a refurb'd MCU1, did Tesla replace the eMMC. There could have been a failure in a part other than the eMMC and they replaced that part.

Reactions: abasile
How long did it take for them to fix it? My understanding is they don't give loaners anymore.
It took a week. They said they give loaners for free for both warranty and non warranty work, but didn't have any but I could check back. They were nice to me when I texted that I would like a loaner. They said to drop by on saturday. They did have a loaner for me. Work was $2000 to get me a refurbished unit. I asked for my original back but they wouldn't give it back to me. I don't think there are any new units as this is 2015

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
It took a week. They said they give loaners for free for both warranty and non warranty work, but didn't have any but I could check back. They were nice to me when I texted that I would like a loaner. They said to drop by on saturday. They did have a loaner for me. Work was $2000 to get me a refurbished unit. I asked for my original back but they wouldn't give it back to me. I don't think there are any new units as this is 2015
They have new, cost is $2800 but these can be fixed and upgraded for less then $600 and turned around in a few days. Having mine done Saturday.

this is just full device overwrite count of some sort I imagine, not any individual block. Thanks to wear levelling.

The overall device has a wear levelling rating; the 3000 number provided is a *minimum* guarantee by the manufacturer on how many times you can format an individual block. So typically you end up doing much more than those 3000 on a block (but then it takes like twice as long to format a given block)

The flash drivers (a well written one that is) will spread the wear across the entire chip. You also keep track on how many times a format has been done on a track. This is stored on a separate location which doesn't have such low format count, often a NOR flash as it doesn't require to erase whole blocks).

The 3000 cycles number is a bit meaningless, it would only apply if you were to always format every blocks in the flash, and write them on again. Just like 1000 recharge cycles is a bit meaningless for the battery, and only applies if you were charging your battery from 100 to 0 and back to 1000 in a loop.

They have new, cost is $2800 but these can be fixed and upgraded for less then $600 and turned around in a few days. Having mine done Saturday.
What do you mean fixed and upgraded - by Tesla? I have no idea what they put in my car except that it said refurbished and gave me a $500 credit. I would have prefered new and let me keep my old one to repair by someone else.

Also, they got rid of the guy who did courtesy washes - I was highly disappointed in that part. They really trimmed staff too - Tempe Az

What do you mean fixed and upgraded - by Tesla? I have no idea what they put in my car except that it said refurbished and gave me a $500 credit. I would have prefered new and let me keep my old one to repair by someone else.

Also, they got rid of the guy who did courtesy washes - I was highly disappointed in that part. They really trimmed staff too - Tempe Az

Isn't it a federal law that they must give you the original part if you request it? Tesla seems to break and bend laws at will without any repercussions. Absolutely terrible.

• Helpful
Reactions: Evoforce

No, not by Tesla. I have the ability to fix (and upgrade) the MCU as do others on here. If you're after warranty it makes no sense to pay thousands when this is fixable for under $500 bucks. :/

A question that I have is if you receive a refurb'd MCU1, did Tesla replace the eMMC. There could have been a failure in a part other than the eMMC and they replaced that part.
If they follow standard refurb procedure, nobody will go to the extra trouble to replace the EMMC - probably ~$200 cost (including BGA rework labor) and risk of bricking it (no matter how skilled, there is always a chance something goes wrong during rework, or even just removing the Tegra module). The only way they replace emmc is if Elon made an executive decision to do that, so that the refurb manager doesn't have to explain why they are replacing a working part.

No, not by Tesla. I have the ability to fix (and upgrade) the MCU as do others on here. If you're after warranty it makes no sense to pay thousands when this is fixable for under $500 bucks. :/
What exactly are you getting for the $500? Someone comes to your house, takes the MCU out, swaps and cloned the EMMC, puts it back in, and guarantees that MCU will work when done? Or do you have to do the work yourself and pay $500 for chip swap if you provide the Nvidia module. If the MCU dies in the process, do you get a replacement MCU service covered, or only your money back, or nothing (i.e. you assume all risks)? Lastly, any warranty on this service or MCU dying after?

I am not criticizing your choice (I am about to swap my emmc myself), just that if you're going to compare Tesla MCU swap to another service, you should compare not just prices but also what you get for the money. With Tesla, they send a ranger to your house to do that, you get a refurb MCU guaranteed to work for 1 year warranty (or 4 years, it's not really clear as Tesla has been inconsistent on that, so for this comparison let's assume 1 year).

• Informative
Reactions: thebishop