Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does that mean "10 year emmc guarantee"? If your MCU goes dark within 10 years, the warranty pays to remove the daughterboard, ship it and fix it, or if you remove it yourself? Or do you have to remove the chip itself and ship it to the manufacturer to get a new one back, then clone your data again and put the new chip on?
Depends on which service was gotten to begin with.

I am curious (from outside the US) if this eMMC issue might actually constitute a plausible case for a class action.
I am no fan of such things as a rule; and consider eg the one doing the rounds re the change in battery range, however unfortunate) entirely without merit.

I hate class action suits but to be honest Im kind of shocked with all the bs ones that have been filed, this more legit one hasn't been.

Im still holding out hope Tesla will make this right.

Last edited:
Reactions: thegruf
Whatever service is paid for is the service that is warranteed. If you removed it yourself the warranty doesn't include removal. Like ANY warranty, what is warranteed is the part, and/or the work done.
And here I think is where the biggest difference in price comes from. If you pay to replace an MCU, and MCU dies, your warranty covers removing it and fixing it. If on the other hand you pay to replace a chip, and the MCU dies, you now don't know whether or not it's the chip that you purchased died, or some other chip, or some other part of the MCU. Before you can use the warranty, the diagnosis is on you to prove that the chip you paid to replace has failed - and that is not as easy as in case of proving MCU has failed.

You mean like Apple who solders their eMMC storage to the motherboard so if anything on the motherboard dies you have to replace the entire board, essentially costing more than a new device? And you lose all of your data even if the eMMC isn't what died since you can't backup your data and move it to the new device. (Unless of course you "hack" it just like with the MCU.)
The entire Apple device costs way less than a new MCU. I think the question is what is reasonable. If Tesla required a whole car swap (except you can keep you wheels, and any removable accessories like the access shelf), then they would be like Apple. Bad MCU on Model S, $100K for a new one, and we'll recycle your old one for you for free! I think that might actually be Elon's dream too - focus on new car sales only.

So once again, SC doesn't know what they are talking about. How does Tesla explain why they will warranty the MCU for 4 years when it is replaced but will not do so when original ownership is under 4 yrs but mileage has exceeded the original warranty.

Because that is the terms of their warranty? Because it makes dealing with the warranty reserves easier to calculate?

The replacement MCU didn't always come with a 4 year warranty they changed that at some point. (Probably after people complained about it.)

• Informative
Reactions: croman
So once again, SC doesn't know what they are talking about. How does Tesla explain why they will warranty the MCU for 4 years when it is replaced but will not do so when original ownership is under 4 yrs but mileage has exceeded the original warranty.
Tesla explain, lol? They don't explain unless something gets media attention and/or affects new car sales.

How does Tesla explain why they will warranty the MCU for 4 years when it is replaced but will not do so when original ownership is under 4 yrs but mileage has exceeded the original warranty.

Why should they have to? Just because they’ve chosen of their own volition to warrant paid replacements for 4 years in no way obligates them to change the terms of the original new vehicle warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: darxsys
This forum often makes me think about selling my car, but what would I replace it with? Is the Model 3 going to have similar issues down the road? Or possibly different, worse issues? I could get another eGolf for $14,000 after incentives, but then I wouldn’t be as safe and I would lose the ability to do road trips. Are there any other electric cars out there worth considering?

This forum often makes me think about selling my car, but what would I replace it with? Is the Model 3 going to have similar issues down the road? Or possibly different, worse issues? I could get another eGolf for $14,000 after incentives, but then I wouldn’t be as safe and I would lose the ability to do road trips. Are there any other electric cars out there worth considering?

Get a used model S.

Well I would re-read the last 3 words in your signature and reflecting before doing anything, but let's heed this post as it was only a few posts ago..

I’m often confused about why people seriously contemplate spending tens of thousands or even a hundred thousand dollars to replace their cars over fear of a $2,000 repair.

Well I would re-read the last 3 words in your signature and reflecting before doing anything, but let's heed this post as it was only a few posts ago..
I figured I would get some criticism for this post, but let’s see if I can come up with a way to make it more on topic than posts concerning refrigerator touch screens. The title refers to the obsolescence of the MCU1 and the potential for a replacement MCU2 that will help older Teslas avoid obsolescence for a while longer. The only known way so far to get the MCU2 upgrade is to buy a new car. At this point in time I could sell my Model S and buy a new Model 3 with an MCU2 and not pay anymore than the remainder of what I owe on my Model S. So in theory a free MCU2 upgrade. I just solved everyone’s MCU1 upgrade problem for them. Close the thread.