Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past I was a proponent of trying to get the IC1 running with a retrofit MCU2. Besides the cost savings, I liked the idea of having IC1 running if MCU2 dies. But upon learning that the rendering on the IC1 likely can't render traffic cones fast enough for MCU2, it occurs to me there are likely more rendering challenges in the future for IC1, So I am officially abandoning any ideas to get IC1 running with MCU2.

Last edited:
Have it towed there. Tell them your MCU was stolen
People may tag it as funny but it is a reasonable one considering Tesla isn't selling new MCUs anymore and use the refurb option to take back your original MCU unless you're lucky and get away with them not charging you a core fee. YMMV in other states but in California they are allowed to charge a core fee if you want your original part back if they supply you with a refurb unit.

Have it towed there. Tell them your MCU was stolen

They can still charge you a core fee if you don't return a core to them. (That is how it often works for self-repair in the ICE world; they sell you a part, new or refurbished, and charge you a core charge if you don't return the part at the time of sale. The once you replace the part you bring the old one back to get a refund of your core charge.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: croman
In the past I was a proponent of trying to get the IC1 running with a retrofit MCU2. Besides the cost savings, I liked the idea of having IC1 running if MCU2 dies. But upon learning that the rendering on the IC1 likely can't render traffic cones fast enough for MCU2, it occurs to me there are likely more rendering challenges in the future for IC1, So I am officially abandoning any ideas to get IC1 running with MCU2.

What's IC1? I know MCU1 and 2, and HW 2.0, 2.5, and 3. So what's IC1? The display behind the steering wheel? If so, there are 2 versions of that as well?

ftfy (bold sections mine)

Human lifetimes are short and fleeting. The number of individual instances of buying insurance, or not buying insurance, in a lifetime is pretty small in the grand scheme of things. You are rolling the dice, and the dice are definitely weighted in favor of not buying insurance, but with all things probabilistic, the pattern only becomes clear when N is large. When N is small -- such as the number of cars you insure in a lifetime -- there is still a substantial risk of getting unlucky.

I'm not arguing against the advice. I follow this advice myself -- I have large deductibles and generally don't insure anything I can afford to cover myself. I'm arguing against the confidence that this always turns out well over each individual's lifetime.
I never said "guaranteed" anything to anyone, read my reply. "probably" and "should" are definitely not the same as a guarantee. There are no guarantees in life, other than death (and in most places taxes ;)). In general, your entire life is an exercise in taking calculated risks.

Radio silence is standard procedure with Elon promises. The internet talks itself out eventually (anyone still talking about 691hp they didn't even come close to delivering? SDK? Etc, etc). This is just becoming one more thing nobody talks about anymore.
ha, except you. You *constantly* bring it up every chance you to the annoyment of everyone around :)

ha, except you. You *constantly* bring it up every chance you to the annoyment of everyone around :)
Well, I'm still waiting for those promised specs and features. I gave Tesla all the money they asked for, but the promised features are not here, are you saying Elon lied and they are not coming? :p

My point was that MCU2 upgrade will just be one more thing Elon promised which will never happen. Not the first, not the last, just one of many.

He and I and others will keep bringing it up. The way it stands right now Tesla has blatantly stole our money and I will not let it go away.

This whole forum is basically a balance between the following 2 people:

Unknown.jpeg