Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree that FSD talk has little to nothing to do with the MCU. However it has been pretty well documented that MCU 1 cars haven't been getting the upgrade while MCU 2 cars have been. Verygreen any speculation as to why they did that since you proved it was pretty straight forward.

I doubt I'd pay $2K to upgrade to MCU 2 especially if they can optimize the software a bit so that the web browser kinda sorta works again. I really don't need the games or Netflix.

I doubt I'd pay $2K to upgrade to MCU 2 especially if they can optimize the software a bit so that the web browser kinda sorta works again. I really don't need the games or Netflix.
Only reason I’d pay to upgrade to MCU2 is for a chip that has less chance of wearing out. Don’t really care about Netflix or the browser.

I agree that FSD talk has little to nothing to do with the MCU. However it has been pretty well documented that MCU 1 cars haven't been getting the upgrade while MCU 2 cars have been. Verygreen any speculation as to why they did that since you proved it was pretty straight forward.

Well, it'd be more like 4-5k anyway :p . Elon is way off... a REMAN MCU1 is 2300 installed, and that's not including the IC and radio module, both of which are needed for MCU 2.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Now that you have HW3 with a MCU1 car, is the AP visualization lag in the instrument cluster the same as before? In my MCU1 car I notice that there is a 1/2 second lag in the AP instrument cluster visualization vs real world.
yes, same as before. you can see it on my video quite clearly.
cones - Streamable

I think people on mcu2 commented they have the same thing.

yes, same as before. you can see it on my video quite clearly.
cones - Streamable

I think people on mcu2 commented they have the same thing.

Great to know! It seems like the lag is just in the visualizations and not the behavior of autopilot.

Though I wonder why AP slams on the brakes if a car passes in front of you perpendicular to the driving path and the car is already out of your car's driving path.

It's annoying to me and also dangerous if a car is behind me because my car is slamming on the brakes for no reason (the car is no longer in my driving path!)

Though I wonder why AP slams on the brakes if a car passes in front of you perpendicular to the driving path and the car is already out of your car's driving path.
I am not really sure, probably has something to do with radar/vision fusion and slow vision? Either way I confirmed hw3 does the same thing too.