Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still can not comprehend why such a technological company will not specifically tell us what is going on with the software. Everyone here is "guessing" what has been downloaded, nobody "knows." Guesstimates usually become actual everywhere else. Also things that are still "beta" have always been so. Usually "beta" software eventually becomes actual but not with Tesla. SIGH! Explanations should tell us what software goes with each car configuration and what will or will not work. I'd just like to know how the new software affects my 2017 MS 75 with whatever generation equipment equipment I have.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: scottf200
I still can not comprehend why such a technological company will not specifically tell us what is going on with the software. Everyone here is "guessing" what has been downloaded, nobody "knows." Guesstimates usually become actual everywhere else. Also things that are still "beta" have always been so. Usually "beta" software eventually becomes actual but not with Tesla. SIGH! Explanations should tell us what software goes with each car configuration and what will or will not work. I'd just like to know how the new software affects my 2017 MS 75 with whatever generation equipment equipment I have.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard of Apple or Microsoft telling everyone what features are coming out in future versions of their softwares, why would you not be able to comprehend Tesla doing the same? Can you fill me in on iOS 14 or Windows 11?

I assume you must mean outside of the Windows insider/preview rings? Also MS announced nearly a year ago that it was swapping it's in house edge build for one based on Chromium. Apple I don't know about but I don't own any of their devices since the OG iPad

I assume you must mean outside of the Windows insider/preview rings? Also MS announced nearly a year ago that it was swapping it's in house edge build for one based on Chromium. Apple I don't know about but I don't own any of their devices since the OG iPad

Yes, I'm speaking about outside of the insider/preview/dev and so forth. Tesla may be very tightlipped about their dev projects, but I don't see them as any different as any other major software company.

Apple, nor MS sell you a piece of hardware with the future promise of some mythical date in the future to replace said hardware with a mythical upgrade that will enable a tech 10 years in the making. Meanwhile rolling out newer and newer hardware and suddenly the original that started it all is left on the cutting room floor. Which btw, if those early buyers did not buy in to the myth there’d be no tesla today. It was the S/X luxury market that fueled the M3 cash cow that it is today. But it’s ok, cars are disposable items, just buy a new one!

I'm not sure that I've ever heard of Apple or Microsoft telling everyone what features are coming out in future versions of their softwares, why would you not be able to comprehend Tesla doing the same? Can you fill me in on iOS 14 or Windows 11?
They at least list the bugs that were fixed..... Is that too much to ask?

They at least list the bugs that were fixed..... Is that too much to ask?

I think that's been hashed out on this board before... I doubt we'd ever see a list of bugfixes considering it wouldn't instill the best thoughts in people if they saw something like "Fixed issue where under certain conditions hitting brakes while Autopilot is engaged results in brake lights not illuminating" or something like that. It would start a complete riot in the streets (or at least on this board).

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
Apple, nor MS sell you a piece of hardware with the future promise of some mythical date in the future to replace said hardware with a mythical upgrade that will enable a tech 10 years in the making. Meanwhile rolling out newer and newer hardware and suddenly the original that started it all is left on the cutting room floor. Which btw, if those early buyers did not buy in to the myth there’d be no tesla today. It was the S/X luxury market that fueled the M3 cash cow that it is today. But it’s ok, cars are disposable items, just buy a new one!

Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with that.

Apple has had their share of vaporware - AirPower, as well as several other things. The argument could be made that people upgraded their iPhone 7 to iPhone 8 or X because they wanted that wireless charging (remember in the beginning Apple products were not Qi enabled).

Apple was also busted for crippling older devices. I'd bet donuts to dollars that Tesla does the same. I mean, MCU1 ran great for years, and it's not like there is much functionality that is new running on it.

I'm also of the opinion that the buyers are as much at fault for buying on a promise. Unless the software is shipped, it's still vaporware. We should all know better... It will materialize, but when is the question.

this is the stupidest thing I’ve read today.

Do Apple and Microsoft SELL you stuff based on future software or hardware that they might make in 3 years? No. They charge you for what they already provide. When did Apple say “buy our phone with 3 cameras now because that means you will get super duper advanced object recognition software in 2 years, even though it still isn’t working right now”?

Does Tesla constantly try to sell based on what might happen? Yes. See the difference?

I think that's been hashed out on this board before... I doubt we'd ever see a list of bugfixes considering it wouldn't instill the best thoughts in people if they saw something like "Fixed issue where under certain conditions hitting brakes while Autopilot is engaged results in brake lights not illuminating" or something like that. It would start a complete riot in the streets (or at least on this board).

"Fixed issue where car would back over your children's bike even though you frantically hit the brakes". Fun fact, that actually happened.