Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is the stupidest thing I’ve read today.

Do Apple and Microsoft SELL you stuff based on future software or hardware that they might make in 3 years? No. They charge you for what they already provide. When did Apple say “buy our phone with 3 cameras now because that means you will get super duper advanced object recognition software in 2 years, even though it still isn’t working right now”?

Does Tesla constantly try to sell based on what might happen? Yes. See the difference?

Apple has released new iPhones with hardware capabilities in which the software isn't ready yet. In fact, if I remember correctly, Portrait mode on the iPhone X was a selling feature of the phone but did not get released for several months later.

I see more issue with the fact that people purchased FSD (me included) knowing full well that it was not developed, and also knowing that there literally was no official date or timeframe given (pending regulatory approval), but then these same people complain that they were sold a bait and switch.

I see more issue with the fact that people purchased FSD (me included) knowing full well that it was not developed, and also knowing that there literally was no official date or timeframe given (pending regulatory approval), but then these same people complain that they were sold a bait and switch.

I agree with you, and as someone who also owns a late 2016 car with FSD pre-paid, I personally find it most frustrating that people who purchased FSD on later cars have had their AP computers retrofitted. The retrofitted cars are now benefiting from FSD starting via the “FSD preview update” and with more FSD capabilities coming soon. The earliest FSD cars still not only haven’t gotten the new AP computer, but we also don’t even know when and what will be changed in our cars. Tesla has provided no information and no transparency on how they will be treating their most loyal and earliest adopters (who are the people that helped provide the $$ so that the company is what it is today).

Love the car, but have no clue why the company is being run the way that it currently is...

I agree with you, and as someone who also owns a late 2016 car with FSD pre-paid, I personally find it most frustrating that people who purchased FSD on later cars have had their AP computers retrofitted. The retrofitted cars are now benefiting from FSD starting via the “FSD preview update” and with more FSD capabilities coming soon. The earliest FSD cars still not only haven’t gotten the new AP computer, but we also don’t even know when and what will be changed in our cars. Tesla has provided no information and no transparency on how they will be treating their most loyal and earliest adopters (who are the people that helped provide the $$ so that the company is what it is today).

Love the car, but have no clue why the company is being run the way that it currently is...

This exactly. If we were all in same boat, fine. Instead new owners get everything and we just continue to sit and get nothing. We had to deal with the botched roll out of every feature since Tesla's messy break up with Mobile Eye and we continue to get jerked around.

I am an early FSD adopter and I agree with most of what you said except we were told FSD would be available by the end of 2017, then 2018, and now 2019 which will be missed again.

Tesla does not have FSD ready for delivery so they cannot use the regulatory approval excuse.

Reactions: MYB_S90D and croman

Did you not see the 2 videos which said software was ready, just needed validation and then to roll out? They clearly lied and deceived people.

Elon was tweeting roll out Dec 31 2016 and cross country a year later.

Hardware wise, verygreen (well known Tesla tinkerer) was able to get the AP3 computer into his MCU1 car and he had cones rendered. Im watching his twitter to see if he got the latest FSD preview update and post if anything software wise is incompatible with (his very unique currently) MCU1 and AP3 set up.

Hardware wise, verygreen (well known Tesla tinkerer) was able to get the AP3 computer into his MCU1 car and he had cones rendered. Im watching his twitter to see if he got the latest FSD preview update and post if anything software wise is incompatible with (his very unique currently) MCU1 and AP3 set up.

Said nope. In code MCU2 only. Now he's doing that upgrade.

• Helpful
Reactions: KingRaptor
Ah ha, thanks for the info. This actually means Tesla likely will have to offer an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade because it is a required item for FSD paid cars, so they might as well offer the upgrade as paid upgrade for non FSD cars and make some money in the process.

I doubt it. They just have to write the necessary software for MCU1 to support the visualizations... And it will be easier to write once they have it mostly completed and working on MCU1 rather than developing it one two platforms at the same time.

Of course the other way to look at it is that visualizations aren't necessary for FSD... As long as the APE see and reacts correctly.

Why? That seems short sighted unless we are supposed to just deal with no visualizer.

Did you really just ask me why tesla does something which on face value seems short sighted??? o_O

ok, because in three months maybe, but definitely six the software was complete on already existing hardware driving coast to coast with zero interventions and human input, until it didn’t, and we’ll now everyone just buckle up because the ride is just getting interesting :rolleyes:

I doubt it. They just have to write the necessary software for MCU1 to support the visualizations... And it will be easier to write once they have it mostly completed and working on MCU1 rather than developing it one two platforms at the same time.

Of course the other way to look at it is that visualizations aren't necessary for FSD... As long as the APE see and reacts correctly.

They have already proven they are perfectly fine with some things only for mcu2, I see this as no different assuming the car drives the same.

Reactions: croman
Did you not see the 2 videos which said software was ready, just needed validation and then to roll out? They clearly lied and deceived people.

Elon was tweeting roll out Dec 31 2016 and cross country a year later.
It's clear. But surprisingly, no lawsuits on this in 3 years. The cars will go out of service before they get the feature, if ever.
is it because of the fine print about the regulatory approval that no one can sue?

Waymo got the regulatory approval recently. Don't know if this is state specific.
Has Tesla applied for the regulatory approval? if it never applies for it, it will never get the approval.

It's clear. But surprisingly, no lawsuits on this in 3 years. The cars will go out of service before they get the feature, if ever.
is it because of the fine print about the regulatory approval that no one can sue?

Waymo got the regulatory approval recently. Don't know if this is state specific.
Has Tesla applied for the regulatory approval? if it never applies for it, it will never get the approval.

There is currently no federal regulation on the matter. Secretary Chao is far too interested in lining her and her family's pockets rather than actually do anything.

Many states have approved FSD but Tesla doesn't actually have the software capable.

There is currently no federal regulation on the matter. Secretary Chao is far too interested in lining her and her family's pockets rather than actually do anything.

Many states have approved FSD but Tesla doesn't actually have the software capable.

Feature complete in 5 days!! Elon wrote it on Twitter it must be true!!! Anyone want to buy a bridge I built in Brooklyn?