Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No visualizer could have impact on regulation certification or any accident where the driver didn’t know AP failed. This is especially important during the gradual march to L5 autonomous driving.

MCU1 nVidia Tegra 3 chips (the one driving the secondary display) could be running out of compute power to render all the different signs and symbols by the time FSD matures.

Reactions: scottf200
No visualizer could have impact on regulation certification or any accident where the driver didn’t know AP failed. This is especially important during the gradual march to L5 autonomous driving.

MCU1 nVidia Tegra 3 chips (the one driving the secondary display) could be running out of compute power to render all the different signs and symbols by the time FSD matures.

umm, no. You get a very clear and concise flashing red hands and steering wheel icon when ap pukes. The other visuals don’t affect that at all. So, I’m not sure how your statement can’t be true. Technically I’m suppose to be watching cat videos on my MCU because the car is driving me. Oh wait, nm mcu1 won’t play video....

Yeah, and the quote:

While it’s going to be tight, it still does appear that we will be at least in limited early access release of a feature-complete Full Self-Driving feature this year. So, it’s not for sure, but it appears to be on track for at least an early access release of a fully functional Full Self-Driving by the end of this year.

So really the furthest he thought they might get is to have a feature complete early access release... And we have heard rumor that some EAP people have city self driving enabled, so they might have met that goal. I assume we will know more on the Q4 call at the end of January, or in February.

Does that story have its own thread somewhere? I didn’t think it was possible for the car to override pressing the brake pedal.
I'm sure it's nearly impossible to find now, but there was a story on here where the very first summon update had a bug where someone tried it and it ran over their kids bike despite them frantically trying to stop it. The odd thing was, they claimed they were pressing the brakes, which implies they were sitting in the car while summon was in use. But the car wouldn't stop. So not sure if the electronic brake assist wasnt working or what. If I recall, Tesla released an update within 6hrs or something to address.

If I understand correctly the MCU1 and drivers 'Instrument Panel' are independent computers.
MCU2 is the main computer controls its screen and the screen of the 'Instrument Panel'.

So would a MCU2 and Instrument panel be required for FSD. Meaning is the 'Instrument Panel' cpu and display sufficent for the FSD displays.
Example below.

A0iZgvG.jpg

Yeah, and the quote:
So really the furthest he thought they might get is to have a feature complete early access release... And we have heard rumor that some EAP people have city self driving enabled, so they might have met that goal. I assume we will know more on the Q4 call at the end of January, or in February.
Do you honestly believe there is any customer, early access or not, who got all of the FSD features listed below? If not, you cannot call it feature-complete.

FSD Description.jpg

Do you honestly believe there is any customer, early access or not, who got all of the FSD features listed below? If not, you cannot call it feature-complete.
But that's the 2016 definition of FSD. That version of FSD doesn't exist anymore. :confused:

But back on topic, again; I don't think Tesla is going to waste any time developing software for MCU1 FSD for a long time. If they can get it into the newer cars faster, they're better off, financially, doing so. It sucks for us MCU1 peeps but it's business. I will keep this car until the wheels fall off so I'm sure I'll see something eventually whether it's in the form of an MCU2 upgrade or some crippled version of FSD for MCU1. At that point I'll ask Tesla for some $$$ off a new car for the inconvenience and misinformation (aka lies in the form of videos of a Tesla driving itself in 2016). :cool:

But that's the 2016 definition of FSD. That version of FSD doesn't exist anymore. :confused:

But back on topic, again; I don't think Tesla is going to waste any time developing software for MCU1 FSD for a long time. If they can get it into the newer cars faster, they're better off, financially, doing so. It sucks for us MCU1 peeps but it's business. I will keep this car until the wheels fall off so I'm sure I'll see something eventually whether it's in the form of an MCU2 upgrade or some crippled version of FSD for MCU1. At that point I'll ask Tesla for some $$$ off a new car for the inconvenience and misinformation (aka lies in the form of videos of a Tesla driving itself in 2016). :cool:

Bonus. Im sure a bunch ot FSD MCU1 leases are ending soon too

• Disagree
Reactions: selfbp
Bonus. Im sure a bunch ot FSD MCU1 leases are ending soon too
What year did MCU2 start getting added in the S? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting a 2017 EAP/FSD S 100D as a lot of them seem to be popping up now (end of lease) and seem to be a pretty good value since the FSD chip will be upgraded free since it was purchased? Maybe I'm not understanding how that transfers? I have a Model 3 LR AWD now with HW3.

What year did MCU2 start getting added in the S? I'm asking because I'm interested in getting a 2017 EAP/FSD S 100D as a lot of them seem to be popping up now (end of lease) and seem to be a pretty good value since the FSD chip will be upgraded free since it was purchased? Maybe I'm not understanding how that transfers? I have a Model 3 LR AWD now with HW3.

March 2018, nothing in 2017 is mcu2

Ah, Elon applying the Texas sharpshooter methodology to Tesla software development - shoot at a wall from a mile away, then go draw a target centered around where your bullet hit the wall, then you can claim without lying that you hit that dime sized bulls eye from a mile away.

Using that same approach, all Elon has to do is redefine FSD for MCU1 and AP2 hardware, and Tesla can recognize the revenue and owe the customers nothing more. Elon is a business Genius, isn't he? ;)

Last edited:

The real problem with that statement is PEOPLE BOUGHT THAT THOUGH!!!! You can't just "change the definition" and hope buyers won't notice. There is truly something wrong with people convincing themselves that is okay and that Tesla should not be held accountable. I owned one of those very options back then and would not be happy with people telling me "it's okay.....It's just Tesla's way of doing business".