Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread with over 100 pages is the true definition of INSANITY. I keep coming back to this page every day expecting a different result and that somehow I will magically get upgraded to MCU2 in the process of getting HW3.

I wish Albert Enstein met Elon. His definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results,

I wish Albert Enstein met Elon. His definition of Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results,
Actually, Einstein and Musk would be laughing hysterically about those who keep repeating the falsehood that Einstein ever said that.

But, hey, whatever, right? This is a free country and people are free to make up whatever "facts" they want to support the point of view they want to promote.

Reactions: nsxpert
Actually, Einstein and Musk would be laughing hysterically about those who keep repeating the falsehood that Einstein ever said that.

Actually Nikola would be laughing at Einstein and Musk for thinking they can define sanity...

"I loved that pigeon as a man loves a woman, and she loved me. As long as I had her, there was a purpose to my life." - Nikola Tesla

Love is the only mission.

I apologize if this question has already been answered in some previous post.

Has there been any authoritative answer from either a) upper Tesla engineering management or b) knowledgeable 3rd party Tesla tinkerers such as Jason Hughes (wk057), to my question as follows:

Is it physically possible for the MCU1 in a 2012 or 2013 Model S to be upgraded to an MCU2 (as used in current production), for, say, several thousand dollars, setting aside the question as to whether or not Tesla would actually offer this upgrade to customers of these cars?

If the answer is definitely no, then I can move forward with the preventative replacement of my eMMC chip (by a reputable third party installer) in my late 2012 Model S and stop worrying about it.

Thanks in advance!
Oliver Barrett

I’m in exactly same boat. I’d like to hope that an upgrade will be available, but I’m getting tempted to have the chip replaced. I really don’t want to be stuck paying an emergency $2k and still be in the same situation.

Depending on the reman process, possibly getting a chip with a few miles on it already.

There is a value that they can read that is supposed to estimate the average number of block level erases remaining on the chip. However that number is not an accurate predictor of chip failure. As an example my EMMC chip is failing with just over half the expected block erases remaining.

Is this a service offered by Tesla? Do you just ask them and they can estimate how long until it fails?
I asked when I took my MCU1/AP2 2016 Model S with 25,000 miles and was told by tech writer that I was at 81%. After I left, I thought was that the amount used or that I had remaining. My browser stopped working so I went back and talked to the same person. This time he admitted that he did not know what the numbers meant. He went and talked to one of the mechanics and was told I had 50 blocks left which is about 50% used up. 50 blocks left does not sound like a lot to me so both of them may have been wrong.

I doubt they will be able to tell you how long before it fails.

There is a value that they can read that is supposed to estimate the average number of block level erases remaining on the chip. However that number is not an accurate predictor of chip failure. As an example my EMMC chip is failing with just over half the expected block erases remaining.

It's worth noting that the emmcs on older MCUs do not support reading of these lifetime statistics... so depending on your MCU's vintage this data may or may not be available behind the scenes.Tesla started keeping track of this data fleet wide a few updates back (one of the ones where they also curtailed the unnecessary logging significantly).

Also turn off your climate controls at the end of the day (AC/heat will continue to run)

Okay, this statement led me to my car, I have been wondering for some time now why the heat is on in my S, every other car has frozen windows and the S windows are wet/defrosted and car is reporting 7c inside cabin while other cars in my parking lot are on the minus side.
And I have checked to see if scheduled departure is on, it's not.
Every day it's like this, even if I don't use the vehicle for several weeks.
SC couldn't answer me why the car is heating itself every day either...

Also turn off your climate controls at the end of the day (AC/heat will continue to run) and disable scheduled charging.
It will continue to run even if you’re not driving? If it’s just when driving I would think you would want to set it to auto at the end of the day. Or perhaps whatever was running last will just always be on? So you will either get cooked or frozen?