Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick tip for MCU 1 folks. Turn off data sharing. It a game changer speeding up the MCU
Thanks, I will test this as well. I just turned it off.

“Data Sharing” setting in Controls > Settings > Safety & Security.

Similar text is on this page:

JeOKfWA.jpg

Doesn't that disable live traffic support?
Sadly yes, but i just enable it if going somewhere far away
So @viper2ko Did you test just turning off Live Traffic/LT vs turning off Data Sharing (LT and other things)? And your feeling was that turning off Data Sharing made your MCU1 interface even faster? Every day driving? Just when you were doing Navigation? etc. TIA

Doesn't that disable live traffic support?
Sadly yes, but i just enable it if going somewhere far away

I remember Accelev previously posted that simply turning off live traffic speeds things up (due a bug they discovered where it was updating several times a second, consuming a lot of CPU). Though I believe that was fixed in a later update. Same issue, different solution?

IMO Tesla will never allow us to upgrade. At least not for years. They have a pile of thousands of refurbished mcu1 units that they can sell for $2500 and make a profit. If they allowed us to upgrade to mcu2 all of those units go to waste

From what i've read, FSD computer upgrade (HW 2 to HW 3) doesn't mean MC1 to MCU2 upgrade.
That is true. However, currently Tesla isn't upgrading any AP2.5 cars if they have MCU1. They aren't upgrading any AP2 cars either (which also have MCU1). Tesla is only currently upgrading AP2.5 cars which already have MCU2.

IMO Tesla will never allow us to upgrade. At least not for years. They have a pile of thousands of refurbished mcu1 units that they can sell for $2500 and make a profit. If they allowed us to upgrade to mcu2 all of those units go to waste

Maybe. I would definitely love to have the option to upgrade the MCU but honestly I wouldn't pay over $2k just for the maps and menu to load/move a little faster. I don't care about netflix and the browser.

That is true. However, currently Tesla isn't upgrading any AP2.5 cars if they have MCU1. They aren't upgrading any AP2 cars either (which also have MCU1). Tesla is only currently upgrading AP2.5 cars which already have MCU2.

Yes.

As an investor, and as an owner of a Model S with FSD, AP2.5 and MCU1, I am going to heave a big sigh of relief when we hear of the first one of these upgraded to HW3.

Next I wanna hear what they are gonna do with FSD cars having AP2.0 and AP1. As an investor, I want the cost and schedule for these behind us. As an owner living in a small town, I want my HW3 and city autopilot.

IF anyone hears of FSD HW3 upgrades done by Tesla S/X with MCU1, PLEASE post info.

Thx

EDIT: I understand that the FSD option was not sold before AP2, so the uncertainty for FSD HW3 upgrades is constrained to S/X with a purchased FSD option and with AP2.0, and those with AP2.5 prior to the upgrade of MCU1 to MCU2. I would love to have an idea how many cars this is. Anyone have a clue? I think the number of all FSD HW3 upgrades has been estimated at 50k, including Model 3 and S/X. My wild guess based on very little is that we may be looking at 10k vehicles or less.

When we do start hearing of AP2.x upgrades to cars with MCU1, will be interesting to see if they start with AP2.5 or go to oldest first, the AP2.0 cars, which seems like it would be the fairest way to do it, even though I would have to wait longer.

Last edited:
Yes.

As an investor, and as an owner of a Model S with FSD, AP2.5 and MCU1, I am going to heave a big sigh of relief when we hear of the first one of these upgraded to HW3.

Next I wanna hear what they are gonna do with FSD cars having AP2.0 and AP1. As an investor, I want the cost and schedule for these behind us. As an owner living in a small town, I want my HW3 and city autopilot.

IF anyone hears of FSD HW3 upgrades done by Tesla S/X with MCU1, PLEASE post info.

Thx
AP1 will never be upgraded.

AP2+ cars were sold as having FSD capabilities so Tesla will have to address AP2/AP2.5 cars with MCU1 eventually.