Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO Tesla will never allow us to upgrade. At least not for years. They have a pile of thousands of refurbished mcu1 units that they can sell for $2500 and make a profit. If they allowed us to upgrade to mcu2 all of those units go to waste

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about Tesla's intent and inventory. I would think the commonsense solution would be to off the refurb MCU and MCU2 at different price points. If you want more, pay more; want less, pay less.

Sounds like you're making a lot of assumptions about Tesla's intent and inventory. I would think the commonsense solution would be to off the refurb MCU and MCU2 at different price points. If you want more, pay more; want less, pay less.

Agree. That reasoning is very flawed. Tesla can just roll the wholesale cost of a MCU1 into the MCU2 cost if they want. They have full pricing power.

Quick tip for MCU 1 folks. Turn off data sharing. It a game changer speeding up the MCU
I tried this this morning but haven't noticed any difference in the refresh rate of maps. When it goes from the "zoomed out" view (driving at a higher speed - highway), to the "zoomed in" view (driving on a city street), it still is just as slow as it was with the screen going blank in sections while it redraws the map.

What specific functionality did you notice were more responsive with having the data sharing turned off?

I think we should start hoping that MCU1 does not work with FSD.
That's almost a given right now considering how much more clunky they have made MCU1 in the last 2 years or so. MCU1 will probably need to be re-optimized to handle all the extra data the FSD visualizations are putting onscreen and considering how few positive changes it gets lately I don't think they are going to go back and fix the things that need fixing to make it work. MCU2 retrofits are the easy solution that don't force them to keep updating MCU1 this long after they have given up on it.

That's almost a given right now considering how much more clunky they have made MCU1 in the last 2 years or so. MCU1 will probably need to be re-optimized to handle all the extra data the FSD visualizations are putting onscreen and considering how few positive changes it gets lately I don't think they are going to go back and fix the things that need fixing to make it work. MCU2 retrofits are the easy solution that don't force them to keep updating MCU1 this long after they have given up on it.

an historical correct response from tesla will be the same as with AP1. thank you for the money and you get nothing...

I hope that I am wrong. I have HW2,5 and UMC1

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
As long as I get the features promised per the FSD description on the Tesla website I'll be happy. If an MCU upgrade is required for FSD I don't think it's fair for owners to have to pay anything for the upgrade.

Per description when I bought my MCU1 AP2.5 X:
All new Tesla cars have the hardware needed in the future for full self-driving in almost all circumstances. The system is designed to be able to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver’s seat.

All you will need to do is get in and tell your car where to go. If you don’t say anything, the car will look at your calendar and take you there as the assumed destination or just home if nothing is on the calendar. Your Tesla will figure out the optimal route, navigate urban streets (even without lane markings), manage complex intersections with traffic lights, stop signs and roundabouts, and handle densely packed freeways with cars moving at high speed. When you arrive at your destination, simply step out at the entrance and your car will enter park seek mode, automatically search for a spot and park itself. A tap on your phone summons it back to you.

• Love
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
There seems to be a belief among some here that MCU1 works with the FSD computer (HW3). The proof proferred is that a non-Tesla respected hacker swapped out his own AP hardware for HW3 on his MCU1 car and it all seemed to work fine.

This is no proof of anything. Well, I guess it proves that MCU1 doesn't fail in an immediate and obvious way with HW3. But it says very little about whether the combination works in any acceptable way. There's no doubt a test suite or several which must be passed -- status unknown. There are likely several currently unused features which must work -- status unknown. There are quite possibly a variety of performance constraints -- status unknown.

Assertions that this combination works should be taken as simply ignorant. There's much more to being a shipping product than "I dunno, looks fine to me."

There seems to be a belief among some here that MCU1 works with the FSD computer (HW3). The proof proferred is that a non-Tesla respected hacker swapped out his own AP hardware for HW3 on his MCU1 car and it all seemed to work fine.

This is no proof of anything. Well, I guess it proves that MCU1 doesn't fail in an immediate and obvious way with HW3. But it says very little about whether the combination works in any acceptable way. There's no doubt a test suite or several which must be passed -- status unknown. There are likely several currently unused features which must work -- status unknown. There are quite possibly a variety of performance constraints -- status unknown.

Assertions that this combination works should be taken as simply ignorant. There's much more to being a shipping product than "I dunno, looks fine to me."

As should assertions that it doesn’t work. There is no official “proof” that it doesn’t other than the very small number of people who have had the replacement happened to have MCU2 to everyone’s knowledge...

an historical correct response from tesla will be the same as with AP1. thank you for the money and you get nothing...

I hope that I am wrong. I have HW2,5 and UMC1

My understanding is that if you paid for FSD, Tesla owes you an upgrade to HW3, period.

If you did not purchase FSD, Tesla is not obligated to offer you any hardware upgrades. Many of us here would like to see an MCU upgrade offered. Elon has made ambiguous statements about that possibility, but no commitments have been made as yet.

The FSD upgrades to HW3 have only been to cars with both AP2.5 and MCU2, which includes all Model 3s built before June last year, and S/X built after late Feb 2018.

We don’t know that there are any hardware or software problems with an HW3/MCU1 combination, but we are imagining that as a reason why Tesla has not done FSD upgrades for MCU1 cars yet. The fact remains that Tesla is obligated to upgrade those cars (including mine) to HW3 because of the pre-paid FSD option. My hunch is that Tesla simply started with the easiest FSD upgrades, for logistical purposes. Some owners (@verygreen) have done an AP2 to AP3/HW3 swap themselves to a car with MCU1, so it is doable.

• Love
Reactions: MTOman and ahkahn
My understanding is that if you paid for FSD, Tesla owes you an upgrade to HW3, period.
Since you seem to be trying to be perfectly correct, I'll offer this one small improvement. Tesla owes whatever is necessary to make the car full self driving as defined when the car was purchased. We think that will include HW3, but that's not what's owed. If Tesla can come up with another way to accomplish FSD, that would be fine.

Normally I am an optimistic person but with Tesla I doubt HW3 upgrades will ever come to AP2/MCU1. Tesla is just kicking the can further down the road and will never upgrade. According to Tesla FSD is not ready and fully functional so no point in upgrading. It's much easier to give us some half baked ping ponging autopilot version than wasting money on a dead end hardware.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It's much easier to give us some half baked ping ponging autopilot version than wasting money on a dead end hardware.

It’s an easy change to move us (HW2.x/MCU1) to the current. I’d argue it’s easier, because Tesla could then deprecate the old hardware, and develop to a single platform.

Old MCUs continue to be supported, like Mobileye hardware, but most of the fleet is identical.

So HW2 needs cameras, radar, MCU and FSD computers. Everything else needs less. What I paid for FSD -years ago- would easily pay for that upgrade, plus interest, and I’m HW2.5. So this shouldn’t be hard.

Once the process starts, either stop selling FSD to MCU1 cars, or include an upgrade fee in addition to the FSD computer.

It’s an easy change to move us (HW2.x/MCU1) to the current. I’d argue it’s easier, because Tesla could then deprecate the old hardware, and develop to a single platform.

No, because everyone didn't buy FSD so Tesla isn't going to upgrade the AP2/SP2.5 computers in those cars and will continue to have to support those platforms. (I suppose they could decide it would be cheaper to upgrade them all, but my guess is that they will get locked down and stop getting updates at some point and if people want additional AP updates they will have to buy FSD to get the HW3 upgrade.)

Reactions: BigD0g