Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, because everyone didn't buy FSD so Tesla isn't going to upgrade the AP2/SP2.5 computers in those cars and will continue to have to support those platforms. (I suppose they could decide it would be cheaper to upgrade them all, but my guess is that they will get locked down and stop getting updates at some point and if people want additional AP updates they will have to buy FSD to get the HW3 upgrade.)

Abandon it like Mobileye. The owner doesn’t want the new features, so they get little/nothing. Just like AP0/1. Autopilot works at this point already. Or close enough. That will be controversial, but there’s enough videos of people sleeping in their cars that it’s hard to argue seriously, and I’d prefer to see the development effort focused.

My understanding is that if you paid for FSD, Tesla owes you an upgrade to HW3, period.

If you did not purchase FSD, Tesla is not obligated to offer you any hardware upgrades. Many of us here would like to see an MCU upgrade offered. Elon has made ambiguous statements about that possibility, but no commitments have been made as yet.

The FSD upgrades to HW3 have only been to cars with both AP2.5 and MCU2, which includes all Model 3s built before June last year, and S/X built after late Feb 2018.

We don’t know that there are any hardware or software problems with an HW3/MCU1 combination, but we are imagining that as a reason why Tesla has not done FSD upgrades for MCU1 cars yet. The fact remains that Tesla is obligated to upgrade those cars (including mine) to HW3 because of the pre-paid FSD option. My hunch is that Tesla simply started with the easiest FSD upgrades, for logistical purposes. Some owners (@verygreen) have done an AP2 to AP3/HW3 swap themselves to a car with MCU1, so it is doable.

To be clear @verygreen upgraded an AP2.5 MCU1 car to AP3, not AP2.

Since you seem to be trying to be perfectly correct, I'll offer this one small improvement. Tesla owes whatever is necessary to make the car full self driving as defined when the car was purchased. We think that will include HW3, but that's not what's owed. If Tesla can come up with another way to accomplish FSD, that would be fine.

Yup, I am trying to set expectations (my own included) based upon public Tesla statements and their context.

The wording of FSD has been as you say “you will get the hardware needed”. A year or two ago they said that means you get upgraded to HW3, and repeated that clarification multiple times when asked. The Service Centers know this, and confirmed I am in line for HW3 upgrade even though my car has MCU1, as I said that is not supposed to matter because that is a separate computer. This means to me that all AP2 cars purchased with the FSD option, AP2.0 and AP2.5, will get HW3 upgrades.

None of this implies any commitment to offer an MCU upgrade for any vehicles, and none of this implies that such an upgrade would be necessary for the HW3 upgrade. I would love it if somehow they needed to upgrade my MCU to upgrade to AP3/HW3, but it I see no reason to believe that beyond wishful thinking. I am also thinking that they couldn’t do that (upgrade MCU for cars with FSD) without offering a for-fee MCU upgrade to non-FSD cars.

My suggestion is to try to keep this thread focused on the availability of a for-fee (not “for free”) MCU upgrade. For the record, I would be willing to pay what has been estimated at $2k for such an upgrade, even if not required for FSD. And I would love to hear any information from Tesla or users about the feasibility and availability.

Here is the last tidbit from Elon on the subject that I know about, from back in October. It really looks encouraging, but I haven’t seen anything since (ANYONE HAVE NEWER SOUCES??):
8EB91018-74F9-4831-915D-C965014D37BF.jpeg

Note that this is a reply to “when can I get karaoke in my MCU1 car”, so strictly speaking, Elon didn’t specifically say he was “working on” an MCU upgrade. But we all think that is the only practical way to get there.

Yup, I am trying to set expectations (my own included) based upon public Tesla statements and their context.

The wording of FSD has been as you say “you will get the hardware needed”. A year or two ago they said that means you get upgraded to HW3, and repeated that clarification multiple times when asked. The Service Centers know this, and confirmed I am in line for HW3 upgrade even though my car has MCU1, as I said that is not supposed to matter because that is a separate computer. This means to me that all AP2 cars purchased with the FSD option, AP2.0 and AP2.5, will get HW3 upgrades.

None of this implies any commitment to offer an MCU upgrade for any vehicles, and none of this implies that such an upgrade would be necessary for the HW3 upgrade. I would love it if somehow they needed to upgrade my MCU to upgrade to AP3/HW3, but it I see no reason to believe that beyond wishful thinking. I am also thinking that they couldn’t do that (upgrade MCU for cars with FSD) without offering a for-fee MCU upgrade to non-FSD cars.

My suggestion is to try to keep this thread focused on the availability of a for-fee (not “for free”) MCU upgrade. For the record, I would be willing to pay what has been estimated at $2k for such an upgrade, even if not required for FSD. And I would love to hear any information from Tesla or users about the feasibility and availability.

Here is the last tidbit from Elon on the subject that I know about, from back in October. It really looks encouraging, but I haven’t seen anything since (ANYONE HAVE NEWER SOUCES??):
View attachment 505538

Note that this is a reply to “when can I get karaoke in my MCU1 car”, so strictly speaking, Elon didn’t specifically say he was “working on” an MCU upgrade. But we all think that is the only practical way to get there.

Elon is full of crap. He also said he was giving us a fix for the web browser years ago.

they have only had 7 years to get the browser working, please be patient
From testing last night (bouncing to diff URLs on my Favorites list) and then again today, my browser is at least acting more responsive.
Maybe just a coincidence after the reboot of getting 2020.4.1 yesterday. It usually is not very stable more than the same day of my reboot.

H7OiZJ9.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
It shouldn’t matter whether you bought FSD or not. Those who bought AP2.0 cars were promised that the car they bought has all the hardware necessary for FSD, and all it took was software and validation. That promise is part of the purchased equation, if Tesla now decides that FSD is not possible with AP2.0 cars (whether FSD was pre-purchased or not), then there needs to be accountability for that original promise that factored into the purchase decision.

Keep in mind that Tesla is actually still selling AP2.0 cars... with FSD. If they didn't intend to deliver FSD to AP2.0 cars, they wouldn't adding to that base, but instead selling AP2.0 with EAP or basic AP.

I'm hopeful that an MCU2 upgrade is offered, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tesla says buy a new car. Selling and buying is more than price differential. Taxes and commissions and the pain would be far more than $2,000. I have a feeling Tesla will actually underestimate the demand for such an upgrade package.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It shouldn’t matter whether you bought FSD or not. Those who bought AP2.0 cars were promised that the car they bought has all the hardware necessary for FSD, and all it took was software and validation. That promise is part of the purchased equation, if Tesla now decides that FSD is not possible with AP2.0 cars (whether FSD was pre-purchased or not), then there needs to be accountability for that original promise that factored into the purchase decision.

First time I’ve heard this brought up. It’s a very good point and worth remembering.

The "promise" still stands. Buy FSD at the price currently on offer, and Tesla will deliver it (hypothetically - including any necessary computer/hardware upgrades to make it work).

If you didn't buy it, Tesla doesn't owe you anything.