Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they don't do this. It's a terrible (great?) way to keep the fleet fragmented. It really hurts those of us that keep our cars more than 3 years. How long will they develop separate software for MCU1 before giving up and writing it off. I say about 3 to 6 months from today.

They don't seem to care much about that. HW3 In firmware still looks like AP2 Camera and radar. You can argue for the less than 50k AP2 cars they sold with FSD it's cheaper to just make them disappear to unify the fleet around AP2.5 sensors.

The idea that they aren't connected is untrue. Based on what green said the issue is mcu1 not being able do all of the visualisations on the IC. That being said. I think it is taking a long time because they to build a new software version of FSD for mcu1

Id rather they just provide an upgrade path to MCU 2. Id happily pay for an upgrade.
MCU1 FSD HW 2.0 owner here.

SO16, I'm the same hardware as you but they still have to deal with FSD and MCU1 for those that would not upgrade like you and I.

An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.
I just got my failed MCU1 replaced by a equally shitty MCU1. Eagerly awaiting the news for an MCU2 upgrade.

They don't seem to care much about that. HW3 In firmware still looks like AP2 Camera and radar. You can argue for the less than 50k AP2 cars they sold with FSD it's cheaper to just make them disappear to unify the fleet around AP2.5 sensors.
That (upgrade under warranty) ALL 2.0 hw cars with pre-paid FSD to 2.5 and HW3) would be the best IMO way to make early FSD purchasers whole and have a unified hardware platform going forward.

But somebody in Tesla upper management would have to do the right things by early customers that bought the vision on faith!!

I’ve been waiting 5 years for a software update on my Toyota. I keep asking them when it’s coming and they keep threatening to block my number if I keep calling.

What’s worse, I can’t even FIND the knob on the dashboard that controls the browser. I think they forgot to add it. But who could know for sure if they did, the ergonomics are so bad.
What does that have to do with a price of tea in China? You bought a Toyota which never advertised you will have a browser. If a wheel falls off a Tesla while driving, you'd consider it just fine because you can't even find more than 2 wheels on your motorcycle, so Tesla still having 3 is still better? :confused:

Reactions: Cheburashka
That (upgrade under warranty) ALL 2.0 hw cars with pre-paid FSD to 2.5 and HW3) would be the best IMO way to make early FSD purchasers whole and have a unified hardware platform going forward.

But somebody in Tesla upper management would have to do the right things by early customers that bought the vision on faith!!
Yes totally!!! I would go one step further and say I would even accept a trade up to a HW2.5/HW3 vehicle and they can sell mine as an EAP car. Like many others here I bought my AP2 Tesla because I believed in the vision. I knew at the time it was only capable of bouncing between two lines at 55mph max but I believed their claims about the computer being modular and upgradable. At this point I feel like it wouldn't hurt them to placate their early adopters and most loyal fans. This seriously affects my willingness to take a blind leap of faith with Tesla again the next time they come out with something new.

Mobile tech replaced a loose pillar panel on my S yesterday. Inquired about HW3 upgrade. All I could get out of him was the SC was doing upgrades. He checked my vin but said I was not on list yet. I asked how they figured when to install? He said date of purchase and Shrugged. Don’t think he knew.

While an upgrade path to MCU2 is imminent and hopeful, one of the grinds I have with Tesla communication is the comparison with an iphone. The analogy "some people" communicate of iphone/Tesla technology is to get the latest and greatest or be left behind. Sorry -- but my investment in a vehicle is not the same as a phone. To me - technology always marches forward with new stuff, and consumers walk out the door with their purchase with "old technology" day one.

The meaningful activity to perform would be to continue putting resources in ALL vehicles to support the products womb to tomb. For example - if you paid $110 for an S or X - you deserve to have (at least) the option to upgrade your investment and / or be able to communicate options for a new owner. Perhaps having SCs to support consistent communication would be improvements also. I'm asking too much...aren't I ?? lol

Our 2018 X (MCU2/AP2.5) gets upgraded on Monday.

The number of MCU1/AP2/FSD vehicles is a shrinking % of Tesla's fleet. If the MCU1/AP2 upgrade to FSD isn't simple, they should just give up on that and offer owners two options:
  • Refund of the FSD activation fee; lock functionality to whatever runs today on the AP2 hardware (which would include NOAP on limited access highways)
  • Trade-up to a new Tesla vehicle:
    • Transfer FSD (originally $8K for EAP/FSD; $7K for FSD today)
    • Transfer FUSC (if not included with the new vehicle)
    • Upgrade credit ($5K?) - since Tesla will be saving development, parts & labor costs by not having to upgrade the original vehicle
This would be a win-win for everyone.

MCU1/AP2 owners that have purchased FSD would get a new vehicle with the latest MCU and AP/FSD, plus a few additional benefits (longer range, wireless phone charging, ...).

Tesla could eliminate having to worry about the MCU1/AP2 FSD upgrades - plus would add a few vehicle sales to their next quarter - at no cost.

For such a small % of vehicles - if they don't upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 - why should they have the burden of supporting FSD on the older MCU???