Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
?? but I did, go back one page. I was replying to someone specific. I don't understand? This wasn't out of the blue.
Thanks. If you quote someone then it is clear for everyone. Otherwise it looks like you think you are in 1 on 1 text conversation or something causing confusion because in your head your are in the middle of a conversation with one person but you are in a crowded room and they are on the other side of it. :) Thanks for quoting. Very helpful. Peace out.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Our 2018 X (MCU2/AP2.5) gets upgraded on Monday.

The number of MCU1/AP2/FSD vehicles is a shrinking % of Tesla's fleet. If the MCU1/AP2 upgrade to FSD isn't simple, they should just give up on that and offer owners two options:
  • Refund of the FSD activation fee; lock functionality to whatever runs today on the AP2 hardware (which would include NOAP on limited access highways)
  • Trade-up to a new Tesla vehicle:
    • Transfer FSD (originally $8K for EAP/FSD; $7K for FSD today)
    • Transfer FUSC (if not included with the new vehicle)
    • Upgrade credit ($5K?) - since Tesla will be saving development, parts & labor costs by not having to upgrade the original vehicle
This would be a win-win for everyone.

MCU1/AP2 owners that have purchased FSD would get a new vehicle with the latest MCU and AP/FSD, plus a few additional benefits (longer range, wireless phone charging, ...).

Tesla could eliminate having to worry about the MCU1/AP2 FSD upgrades - plus would add a few vehicle sales to their next quarter - at no cost.

For such a small % of vehicles - if they don't upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 - why should they have the burden of supporting FSD on the older MCU???

The discussion of "return the original price" needs to end. Time and risk should be taken into account here. Better would be "return the dollar equivilent of shares bought on the original order date." So if the share price on June 10, 2016 when a car was bought was $200, and they paid $5000 for FSD, then give them 25 shares.

That factors in the benefit of believing in the technology and paying more as an early adopter. Most people would be very happy, and the cost isn't actually that high for Tesla, especially if they issue more to cover it. There's some dilution, but little else.

Your trade up option here is good too.

So just realized that there must now be people who purchased AP2 + FSD back in late 2016 or early 2017, when AP2 was first announced with the “full self driving” video, who were on a 3 year lease and now have had to return the car without EVER getting the FSD features they paid for. Are they being refunded the FSD fee plus associated taxes?

we bought FSD with our (not leader) early 2017 AP2.0 Model S and it’s already been 3+ years wait. In the meantime, we’ve been paying higher California vehicle registration on the higher vehicle value (for EAP +FSD) with nothing to show for it. And like others have said here, it’s not like an iPhone which I upgrade every 2-3 years. Even though our numbers are relatively small, we did pay them a bundle of cash and kept the company afloat during its darkest days. Least they can do is honor their promise. 3 years is a bit long...

So just realized that there must now be people who purchased AP2 + FSD back in late 2016 or early 2017, when AP2 was first announced with the “full self driving” video, who were on a 3 year lease and now have had to return the car without EVER getting the FSD features they paid for. Are they being refunded the FSD fee plus associated taxes?

we bought FSD with our (not leader) early 2017 AP2.0 Model S and it’s already been 3+ years wait. In the meantime, we’ve been paying higher California vehicle registration on the higher vehicle value (for EAP +FSD) with nothing to show for it. And like others have said here, it’s not like an iPhone which I upgrade every 2-3 years. Even though our numbers are relatively small, we did pay them a bundle of cash and kept the company afloat during its darkest days. Least they can do is honor their promise. 3 years is a bit long...

I think that why they are waiting so long to upgrade any mcu1 cars to hw3. Waiting for leases to end without having to upgrade to FSD

The lessee example is an interesting one, but I fail to see how it’s different than any other purchase scenario. Lessees bought the feature on a claim of future capabilities just like everyone else. Those capabilities obviously haven’t materialized, but I don’t see the connection with anyone being deserved a refund because they sold the car or turned in a lease.

Reactions: MP3Mike
The lessee example is an interesting one, but I fail to see how it’s different than any other purchase scenario. Lessees bought the feature on a claim of future capabilities just like everyone else. Those capabilities obviously haven’t materialized, but I don’t see the connection with anyone being deserved a refund because they sold the car or turned in a lease.

In the situation of a lease, you’re forced to return it without ever having received what you paid for. At least when you purchased it, you can technically wait...forever. That’s why I wonder if leased cars should refund the FSD cost...

In the situation of a lease, you’re forced to return it without ever having received what you paid for. At least when you purchased it, you can technically wait...forever. That’s why I wonder if leased cars should refund the FSD cost...
Every Model S/X Tesla has ever leased included a crystal clear residual value and buyout option. You’re not forced to return the car.

Then you aren't looking very hard. It is right on the Tesla warranty page: Vehicle Warranty

And contained in the warranty document: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...sories-body-repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Of course it only applies to out-of-warranty repairs you have paid for, it doesn't extend the warranty on a warranty replacement/repair.
Um, thanks(?) ;)

It’s warranty on extended warranty replacement I was/am looking for. Was told it does get a warranty though cannot find this scenario listed in the vehicle warranty nor extended warranty doc and no one could tell me.

Last edited:
PDF version attached
Thanks. This is helpful and refers to the 90 days I was told for warranty on replacements under extended warranty. I was expecting at least a year, if not for the remainder of extended warranty - remember it was sold as Bumper to bumper extension for 4 more years.
The rub is 90 days means any issues requires another 200$, if you’re still in extended warranty, or full price when you finish..

Extended warranty has paid for itself multiple times now... just getting toward end of it

47B67F11-D627-48CE-B4B4-51E54CFF674C.jpeg

This is helpful and refers to the 90 days I was told for warranty on replacements under extended warranty. I was expecting at least a year, if not for the remainder of extended warranty - remember it was sold as Bumper to bumper extension for 4 more years.
The rub is 90 days means any issues requires another 200$, if you’re still in extended warranty, or full price when you finish..

Actually it says it is covered by the original warranty period or 90 days whichever is longer. But I would think if in the ESA period and the part fails after 30 days after replacement that would be another $200. I wonder how it works if you get something replace 80 days before the ESA ends and the part fails at day 85. You no longer have ESA coverage but the part is still covered by the 90-day portion of the warranty. Do you still have to pay the $200 or would it be a free re-repair?

Furthermore when you lease you only pay a % of the actual cost of the feature. SOME that purchased and paid the 100% for the feature and have since resold their cars have gotten little to nothing for the pre-paid FSD features. Re-sale value has not been increased to reflect pre-paid FSD significantly AND if you trade your car with pre-paid FSD, Tesla does not offer a .01 extra on you trade in value...even tho you paid 100% for it. In many of these cases those buyers / sellers are much worse off than someone that paid a % of the full retail value over their lease.