Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, it seems wrong. Current S&X with MCU2 have both FM and XM. (At least according to their current specs.)
It does seem wrong, but clearly stated on the website in multiple places. This is just really bizarre. I have wanted to do this upgrade for some time. But, removing all basic radio functionality? :confused:. That may just be a dealbreaker.... It’s hard to imagine paying thousands of dollars and wind up with no radio in your car. I just don’t get it.

I have no facts to back this up, but the loss of FM/AM/XM radio could easily be some sort of FCC certification Tesla either didn't get or couldn't get, or didn't care about getting, for the MCU2 retrofit chassis, and just decided to disable the on-board radios completely to get it to market sooner rather than later. (obviously, the BT and Wifi radios are enabled).

My question is, will the MCU2 retrofit affect the Artsci Front camera kit?

I'll wait. 6 months it will be 1/2 price

That was my initial thought, however given they already charge close to $2k for an out-of-warranty MCU1...you’ll be disappointed 6 months from now (or not upgrading haha).

I’m personally torn. I have AP2.5 and already have dashcam and sentry mode. I also use SiriusXM but could live without it. I think MCU1 is fine, but I’ll probably upgrade sooner than later since my current MCU is destined to fail anyway. Why pay for it later when I could upgrade today...

After the upgrade, if they tried to give me my old MCU1, I would take it if they include $500 with it. Yes, I know, its salvageable, but to a few. Trying to make a stupid point here.
Your point is lost on me. Why would you leave your property behind?

Tesla is charging people $2500 for a gen1 replacement. Why not sell at a discount or give it away to a forum member who’s vehicle is bricked?

Your point is lost on me. Why would you leave your property behind?

Tesla is charging people $2500 for a gen1 replacement. Why not sell at a discount or give it away to a forum member who’s vehicle is bricked?
Sorry. About 50% of my posts are poking fun at myself. This is one of them. I'd open my truck and fill the back with used ones if they let me.

Reactions: glide
Since this looks like it’s going to be a reality now, One question I have is, if my MCU1 fails under warranty, what are they going to replace it with if an MCU2 option is available?

if they continue to replace warranty work with MCU1, maybe for an extra thousand dollars they would upgrade to MCU2?

Since this looks like it’s going to be a reality now, One question I have is, if my MCU1 fails under warranty, what are they going to replace it with if an MCU2 option is available?

if they continue to replace warranty work with MCU1, maybe for an extra thousand dollars they would upgrade to MCU2?

My two cents? Why would they do that? MCU1 is different enough that they won't take your 1 in back and turn it into a 2.
In other words, i.e., they will put another MCU1 with same size eMMC chip in your car again. As far as reliability? You are just kicking the can down the road - its going to happen again. MCU2's eMMC chip is 4X larger and will last longer than yours.

AP 2.5, MCU1, FSD here. So if I do not upgrade to MCU2, I will get FSD retrofitted using MCU1 (with no "enhanced" visualizations)? Or I'll get a MCU2 "free" when I'm FSD retrofitted presumably at the bottom of the list?

Looks like HW3 is being offered for AP 2 and 2.5 now in MCU1 cars
Screenshot_20200302-162447.png