Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ummm...I did.
Sorry for any confusion but in this post you did not but just had an ongoing conversation which is confusing for others in the thread. TIA

fu6LbF9.jpg

Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

I think I'll wait for now, but it's reassuring to know this will be an option once my emmc dies.
Just to get a bit more screen performance and lose FM radio, I'm not very excited about this. Do we really lose FM?
Yeah, it only costs $2,500 for them to remove your radio. Not too too bad. ;)

It's probably $5,000 for them to remove both the radio & the glovebox.

So is it true that if you buy FSD you get the MCU upgrade as well? Lots of people saying this but seems to good to be true..

I'd pull the trigger on FSD right now if it was though, since it's just an incremental cost at this point.
That's not clear to me from reading the web page. It says the FSD computer will be prioritized for people that buy the entertainment upgrade. It does not say the entertainment upgrade is free for those with FSD.

I'd speculate they will continue to make a FSD implementation for MCU1 for those that don't decide to fork out the extra cash. It may take forever.

Well no one has it yet, so all we know is what is on Tesla's website where it says you get "Records from all cameras for DashCam and Sentry Mode for cars with the Full Self-Driving Computer"
True, but remember that “Full Self-Driving Computer” is the marketing name for HW3.

And we also know that the dash cam functionality depends on the AP computer, not the MCU, and it’s only ever been released for AP2.5+.

So I read this as no, you don’t get dashcam (and maybe not real sentry) if you didn’t buy FSD and haven’t been upgraded to HW3.

Last edited:
Reactions: brkaus
Would this upgrade also be available for a 2015 AP1 Model S? Would like to a have speedier experience and entertainment features would also be nice.

It is available. You'll only get a faster MCU and the games... not sure it's worth it.

I think you mean it will be available. The Web page implies April. We'll see.

As to whether it's worth it or not, that's going to be up to each individual owner. I'd hope for performance and stability (having been through the eMMC debacle once). Games and entertainment aren't a big deal to me. I'd consider this, but I probably wouldn't want to be the first person with an AP1/MCU2 car. :)

Bruce.

Screenshot_20200302-162447.png Screenshot_20200302-162447.png
That's not clear to me from reading the web page. It says the FSD computer will be prioritized for people that buy the entertainment upgrade. It does not say the entertainment upgrade is free for those with FSD.

I'd speculate they will continue to make a FSD implementation for MCU1 for those that don't decide to fork out the extra cash. It may take forever.

I believe AP2 and AP2.5 are now being offered HW3 on cars with MCU1

What is this based on?
None of their other services include a core charge and a few states require them to return a customers’ parts of asked.

Not true. Tesla charges a core charge of $500-700 to keep your MCU1 if you pay to get it repaired out of warranty. They also charge ~$15k to keep your Model 3 battery that you want to keep when paying to replace a damaged one out of warranty.

Their prices always assume they keep the core, if you ask to keep it they add a core charge to the invoice.

If by "now being" you mean "late March" for AP2 like it says in the posting, then yes, it seems that way.

Early April for just the FSD computer per that support page. Sounds like you can jump the line to late March if you upgrade to both FSD and MCU2 at the same time.

I’ll probably go ahead and do the upgrade. Sentry Mode/dash cam plus better responsiveness are worth it for me. Losing FM is weird, but I never use it anyway, so no real loss there.

I believe the text says it will work for cars with FSD.

I still don't understand the stupidity of removing FM.

Green addresses that on Twitter. MCU1 uses an analog tuner and MCU2 digital. He says there’s “substantial” labor in doing the tuner replacement, so I guess Tesla decided to forego that...

Green addresses that on Twitter. MCU1 uses an analog tuner and MCU2 digital. He says there’s “substantial” labor in doing the tuner replacement, so I guess Tesla decided to forego that...
From another post (diff thread I think) with similar info:
kdday, Today at 8:18 PM

Mcu2 has a new Ethernet based tuner that physically fits in the same slot as the mcu1 analog based tuner. It requires new wiring which is just two wires for power/ground, and a twisted pair for Ethernet to mcu2. It's simple to conceptually retrofit, but rather bothersome to physically remove the old one and install the new one.

It took me a few hours of yelling and cursing, plus two bandaids, to get the tuner swapped out. I'm sure that's why tesla isn't doing it for retrofits.

Last edited: