Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The loss of SirusXM is a big deal to me also. I take a lot of road trips out to National Parks and other areas where cell coverage is spotty, so streaming isnt an option either. I think current S with the MCU2 has working XM? I'll just wait to buy a new S, hopefully with Plaid later this year. I am not going to be fumbling on my phone while driving to change FM stations if I were to get the MCU2 upgrade.

Reactions: Ocelot
I seem to remember that cameras on MCU1 cars where different from cameras on MCU2 cars.
Are they upgrading the cameras as well?
Really early there were no cameras on MCU1. Then there was one camera (mobileye AP1). Then there were cameras with different color filters (AP 2.0). Then there were the current cameras (AP 2.5), all on MCU1.

I don't think we know if Tesla will eventually upgrade those cameras.

Yeah...I’m in the same boat. Was considering the Plaid since I have finally come to the realization that the Cybertruck will be a bit too big for my garage....dang it. It’ll fit, it’s just that I wouldn’t be able to get in it unless I did dukes of hazard style. But maybe I’ll wait a couple more years for the plaid now since I can get this upgrade and possibly for free since I purchased FSD during the fire sale for my HW2.0 car. I do love the configuration of my vehicle albeit it’s not as fast as plaid.

Alter that garage man.

• Funny
Reactions: SO16
Given all the caveats of upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 (especially with the loss of radio and Sirius) while not addressing camera and sensor issues to make it a true HW3 car, makes it look more viable to upgrade the entire car by simply buying a new one.

Unless the plaid is mind blowing..... I’m upgrading. I’d rather keep my silver metallic, leather ventilated seats and pano roof. Can stream some of that stuff from my phone if needed. Cameras won’t be full color but I don’t think that matters much. Will be curious to see videos of the difference.

I checked and most of the stations I listen to on AM/FM radio are not available on TuneIn. I'd probably be more okay with losing radio if we had access to more music streaming services in the vehicle that could actually replace the radio (it seems like iHeartRadio took the rights for many stations away from TuneIn, and I'm not planning on fumbling on my phone to change music stations).

Id be embarrassed to have people in my car and explain “Tesla has this fancy system, but we can’t listen to the local football game”.

Not true. Tesla charges a core charge of $500-700 to keep your MCU1 if you pay to get it repaired out of warranty. They also charge ~$15k to keep your Model 3 battery that you want to keep when paying to replace a damaged one out of warranty.

Their prices always assume they keep the core, if you ask to keep it they add a core charge to the invoice.
Which is illegal. Core charge needs to be explicitly mentioned upfront.
They cannot go adding it in as a line item when the bill comes due.

I think I'll wait for now, but it's reassuring to know this will be an option once my emmc dies.
Just to get a bit more screen performance and lose FM radio, I'm not very excited about this. Do we really lose FM?

I was thinking that when my emmc dies in 5 or 6 years, my extended warranty would upgrade me to MCU 2 because they ran out of MCU 1 stock. But now they will be getting a much of old MCU 1 back.. and probably will never ran out of stock.. darn.

seems like a lot of negativity on this upgrade, despite the fact that this is literally what 2/3 of this forum have been complaining for.

I've excited at least. I was talked out of buying an MCU2 75d for an inventory MCU1 100d. I don't regret that decision because I'd still choose the larger battery over a faster screen, but obviously I'd rather have both. The car was already over 6 figures. What's another 2.5k?