Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably missed this. I bought FSD. Tesla was working on the problem of updating MCU 1 to MCU 2 before they. Could up date me to HDW 3. Do they now want 2500 dollars more to do this? It appears that on a certain day they just can’t give you something that you paid for and on the next day they are able to sell it to the public.
I now have HDW 2.5

Really? The Ultra Premium Sound (if you got the option) with MCU1 easily rivals the Mark Levinson in my Lexus.

Having non premium sound in my car, and having a loaner with the premium sound. I have to agree with the above. MAN it sounds good.
I have sunroof and wish the car had the premium sound option instead, actual. (bought used so sometimes tradeoffs are necessary)

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Probably missed this. I bought FSD. Tesla was working on the problem of updating MCU 1 to MCU 2 before they. Could up date me to HDW 3. Do they now want 2500 dollars more to do this? It appears that on a certain day they just can’t give you something that you paid for and on the next day they are able to sell it to the public.
I now have HDW 2.5

You don't have to upgrade your MCU to get HW3. They are now able to install hw3 on MCU1, you just won't get the fancy new visualizations.

Does anyone know if the sentry mode (recording) is tied to MCU or the HW3 computer? In other words, in order to get the recording saved in the car do I have to get MCU2 or will get HW3 be enough. I guess it is MCU that needs to be upgraded.

Based on current vehicles, you need to have AP2.5 to have recordings from sentry mode. However the site indicates once you purchase the $2500 MCU2 and get the complimentary FSD (assuming you've already paid for it), then you will also be able to do sentry mode recordings.

AFAIK;
- 2.5-3 cameras are identical.
- Cameras are not swappable as they're inside the pillars and are not easy to reach.

Thank you. I didn't realize it would be hard to get to the pillar cameras! Since that is the case then I'm sure they will keep the camera b/w for 2.0 cars. I just figured the cameras must be cheap and changing them during the swap would reduce the codebase they need to maintain.

Does anyone know if the sentry mode (recording) is tied to MCU or the HW3 computer? In other words, in order to get the recording saved in the car do I have to get MCU2 or will get HW3 be enough. I guess it is MCU that needs to be upgraded.

My understanding is that AP2 won't record anything. You still need AP2.5 or above.