Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, well I was told just the opposite, twice, by people with access to extraordinary information

Also, Tesla's official website that clearly specifies the FSD computer upgrade for MCU1 cars: Full Self-Driving Computer Installations
upload_2020-3-4_16-26-42.png

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
Really? The Ultra Premium Sound (if you got the option) with MCU1 easily rivals the Mark Levinson in my Lexus.

Its not that the current MCU 1 Ultra Premium Sound isn't good. I've heard the sound in MCU2 Ultra Premium sound cars and it sounded better. Rationale I've heard (perhaps incorrect) is that MCU2 offers the immersive option (better codecs?) that MCU1 isn't able to support.

I'm on my second pillar camera. One replaced in each pillar. I don't know why keep going "bad." About once a week I get the AP features limited, may be restored on next drive, but it usually doesn't restore for a day or two.
Good to know. I'm guessing that the issue for the error message you quoted could be due to fogging up of the internal front camera. You are in a really cold place and being winter.... I have had the same temporary problem and error message on rare occasions and that was the reason.

Which is illegal. Core charge needs to be explicitly mentioned upfront.
They cannot go adding it in as a line item when the bill comes due.
No it doesn't. If you want your parts back, you need to inform them before the repair is performed and they can notify you then if there's any additional cost associated with them not keeping the parts. A core charge is a fee charged when when you buy a part, that's refunded if you return the old part.

What are the known issues that exist with MCU2? I haven’t seen much of anything yet...
Probably a bit too soon in their lifespan for many MCU2 failures, but I believe wk057 has written here that he suspects the MCU2 may eventually suffer a similar fate as MCU1. When he speaks, I listen. But I do intend to buy the MCU2 anyway, so I sometimes listen and then let the good info sneak out my other ear. However, my uncertainty is causing me to consider buying the expensive extended warranty when I have to decide in ten months! (Not sure whether the MCU2 might have a warranty extending longer than those ten months.)

Last edited:
Its not that the current MCU 1 Ultra Premium Sound isn't good. I've heard the sound in MCU2 Ultra Premium sound cars and it sounded better. Rationale I've heard (perhaps incorrect) is that MCU2 offers the immersive option (better codecs?) that MCU1 isn't able to support.

Or even different speakers and amps by this point. It has been years since MCU1 Ultra Premium.

Having experienced both the MCU1 and MCU2 premium sound, the MCU2 is much better. I also think it's due to the levels of immersion vs. the Dolby surround of the MCU1. Speakers and amps may be different as well but that is pure speculation.

The display and MCU are 2 different parts.

I dont think you will get both replaced.

When i upgraded to MCU2.5, they did not change the display.
The MCU is the big screen in the center of the dash. That's what this thread is about. There is no MCU 2.5 - only 1 and 2.

I think you're confusing it with the self drive computer, which is either HW1, HW2, HW2.5 or the new self drive computer HW3. Your car based on the year you list in your sig would already have MCU (Display screen) 2 and if you have every option minus rear seats then you would have started with HW2.5 with an upgrade to HW3.

Lol, I'd like to sell it to someone who needs a cheap replacement to recoup some of the upgrade cost. Especially since it's in perfect, non-yellowed shape. I'm sure someone would pay a few hundie for it.

and someone would pay for it, then pay the labor to pull the old one out and put the new one in. Then forgo their warranty.
Sounds like around $2500 for it, and the labor alone.

or pay telsa for MCU2 and keep their warrenty.

The MCU is the big screen in the center of the dash. That's what this thread is about. There is no MCU 2.5 - only 1 and 2.

I think you're confusing it with the self drive computer, which is either HW1, HW2, HW2.5 or the new self drive computer HW3. Your car based on the year you list in your sig would already have MCU (Display screen) 2 and if you have every option minus rear seats then you would have started with HW2.5 with an upgrade to HW3.
I understand what he's saying kinda (minus 2.5). The actual screen and MCU are 2 different parts, which brings up a good point. Will Tesla be separating the screen from the MCU and putting your old screen on a new MCU, or will the MCU/screen be replaced as a whole... and my question still stands (i believe)... will we get our old MCU1 back after the upgrade or will Tesla try to steal it?

• Informative
Reactions: Shiro
The MCU1 processor should be capable of displaying the FSD preview visuals - and likely could support many of the features that are now running only on MCU1.

The reason why we don't see those features on MCU1 is likely more to do with software resources than any MCU1 hardware limitations. With MCU1 an increasingly smaller portion of Tesla's vehicle fleet, it's becoming harder to justify expending any resources on adding new features to MCU1.

For now, FSD on MCU1 loses the improved visualizations - and it's very likely that list of missing features will grow longer over time.

When we get the infotainment upgrade e-mail, will schedule the appointment and request the MCU2 radio to be installed - and if the Service Center can't do that, we'll cancel the infotainment upgrade, at least until they can find a way to provide the stations we listen to on our radio today.

MCU 2 also runs on a eMMC, all emmc will fail once it's life has been used up. The eMMC is a lot bigger, however it will be interesting if they cache video for smooth playback. Repeated writing of high res video is a great way to use up a large chip.

MCU2 requires a new IC the old one will not work. I suspect the old ones are kept as part of the upgrade as they will use those to refurbish for future replacements. You should ask if you can keep yours before work begins.

The MCU1 processor should be capable of displaying the FSD preview visuals - and likely could support many of the features that are now running only on MCU1.

Actually the MCU1 wouldn't be displaying the FSD preview visuals. That would be handled by the IC1 computer, which may not be up to the task. With the MCU2, at least in new vehicles, the IC is just a second display on the MCU2 instead of being a separate computer.