Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand. How can they come in serialized by the VIN of the car to be installed into unless the owner of that VIN has already purchased the upgrade? Did you actually purchase the upgrade? If not, how would Tesla ever know you were intending to do so, such that it would "serialize" an upgraded MCU for you?
Methinks you answered your own question? So now you understand?

Will they upgrade just to the AP3 computer without replacing the MCU?

Will this put us at the end of the line even if we have paid for FSD already?

As a side note why do they require MCU2 for the visualization even though it’s shown that the IC at the S/X will show lights/sign with AP3 and MCU1?!? Do they just want more money from us who paid already for FSD?

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Will they upgrade just to the AP3 computer without replacing the MCU?

Will this put us at the end of the line even if we have paid for FSD already?

As a side note why do they require MCU2 for the visualization even though it’s shown that the IC at the S/X will show lights/sign with AP3 and MCU1?!? Do they just want more money from us who paid already for FSD?

For those concerned about getting screwed, perhaps just get the new AP hardware and see if the visualizations are good enough to your liking. There will probably be youtube videos posted of differences.

If you truly believe that knowing whether or not autopilot sees an obstacle...
If you truly believe that the screen visualization lets you "know" anything, you are incredibly gullible. Sure, knowing what autopilot is aware of might be useful under some circumstances, but that isn't available and never will be. Among many other reasons, its sensorium can't be translated to something humans can see in anything but the crudest way.

In your desperate desire to complain about everything, you are taking something that can't be done and Tesla isn't trying to do and trumpeting that they are doing it badly. Get over it.

Any confirmation of the computer change yet. All I am reading are appointments made and then being cancelled. My systems getting painfully slow.
I have only read about appointments getting canceled for folks that scheduled an upgrade appointment without getting any notice from Tesla that their VIN is eligible. I'm just as excited as the next guy, but repeatedly making appointments before it's their turn only seems to waste the time of the service staff that needs to look it all up and write a denial response.

I could be wrong but has anyone:

1) Been so much of a squeaky wheel that you got an upgrade before your turn?

2) Been notified you were eligible only to have your appointment canceled?

is completely useless for a human who must supervise it for safety reasons, then I think we should just agree to disagree on that and call it a day

It doesn’t need to be completely useless for you to be wrong here, it just needs to not be objectively vital(and not in some future scenario, but in current MCU2/HW3 implementation). And not even all the visualizations, but specifically the ones MCU2 supports but MCU1 doesn’t. You’re a long way off from proving that’s objectively true and Tesla, of course, never promised such visualizations. Tesla is not required to give all updates that could, potentially, be useful, for free.

Reactions: SmartElectric
See list.... it says security!!

Infotainment Upgrade

9ojc4Fn.jpg
Looks more like a downgrade to both my bank balance and function. At least the functions I care about.

Unfortunately, I JUST NOW got a text from the Service Center................

Hi Bill,
This is Tesla Service. We wanted to reach out in regards to your upcoming appointment.
The Hardware 3 retrofits come in serialized by VIN, and unfortunately, we do not have
yours yet. We can reach out at a later date when we do, or feel free to check back in
periodically as well. For now, we will cancel the appointment.

Thank you.

I don't understand. How can they come in serialized by the VIN of the car to be installed into unless the owner of that VIN has already purchased the upgrade? Did you actually purchase the upgrade? If not, how would Tesla ever know you were intending to do so, such that it would "serialize" an upgraded MCU for you?

um, they know he did purchase the upgrade. HW3, not MCU.

Moderator note: I'm not gonna cite examples, but a number of recent posts to this thread have only tenuous connections to MCU upgrades and are basically just arguing. Please knock it off.

Thanks,

Bruce.
:) Thanks. I really dislike those arguments back and forth. Actually, I don't even know whom some of the posts are arguing with; probably because I ignored them long ago and don't see the post. Love the "ignore member" feature ;)