Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a source for any of this?

I would love to see them give me an MCU2 upgrade for free because it is easier than getting software to work ok with the AP3/MCU1 combination, but I still am skeptical about that being necessary for them.

About your comment “FSD functionality (whatever that is)”, I assume you are being sarcastic, but what it literally means is a list of current AP features that are only enabled if you pay for FSD, plus a list of features promised and yet to be delivered, and that if you have paid for FSD they owe you an upgrade to the AP3 hardware.
My source for the comment the AP3 computer (HW3) does not work with an MCU1 car is reports at the time AP3 computers started being installed (there is a youtube video out about it I watched as well as (I believe) some posts here). Several people (including the youtube guy) had AP2.0/MCU1 and were able to get the service center to install AP3 computer. It simply didn't work and the AP2 computer had to be reinstalled.

With respect to my comment about FSD features (whatever that means), it was not meant to be snarky. Rather, things that were previously EAP are now classified as FSD so clearly those will work on an MCU1 car (they already do/did). I do believe that if Tesla is continuing to develop FSD capabilities, that at this point they are coding the software to run on MCU2 cars and that they will likely have to create a new branch of the software to deliver future FSD features to an MCU1/AP3 car and that this software branch development will likely be delayed and arrive much later than the main software branch for MCU2/AP3 cars. I was trying to get at the issue some people have said that they will keep their MCU1, upgrade to AP3 and will have FSD. That very well may happen, but I think it will happen months or years after those FSD features are released and available to MCU2/AP3 cars (be they original MCU2 or MCU1 that upgraded to MCU2 cars).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Has anybody heard inklings of when AP1 cars will be eligible for the MCU2 upgrade? My MCU1 just died. I don't want to deal with the cost and hassle of replacing my MCU1 eMMC, only to upgrade to MCU2 in a few months.
Well, so naturally you've called roadside assistance and scheduled immediate emergency service with Tesla. What do they tell you? Surely the most reasonable thing to do is an MCU2 upgrade if possible. Are you under warranty?

Well, so naturally you've called roadside assistance and scheduled immediate emergency service with Tesla. What do they tell you? Surely the most reasonable thing to do is an MCU2 upgrade if possible. Are you under warranty?
No warranty. I have scheduled a service appointment but my local SCs don’t have guidance on MCU2 availability, and it’s hard to get info out of Tesla corporate.

My source for the comment the AP3 computer (HW3) does not work with an MCU1 car is reports at the time AP3 computers started being installed (there is a youtube video out about it I watched as well as (I believe) some posts here). Several people (including the youtube guy) had AP2.0/MCU1 and were able to get the service center to install AP3 computer. It simply didn't work and the AP2 computer had to be reinstalled.

With respect to my comment about FSD features (whatever that means), it was not meant to be snarky. Rather, things that were previously EAP are now classified as FSD so clearly those will work on an MCU1 car (they already do/did). I do believe that if Tesla is continuing to develop FSD capabilities, that at this point they are coding the software to run on MCU2 cars and that they will likely have to create a new branch of the software to deliver future FSD features to an MCU1/AP3 car and that this software branch development will likely be delayed and arrive much later than the main software branch for MCU2/AP3 cars. I was trying to get at the issue some people have said that they will keep their MCU1, upgrade to AP3 and will have FSD. That very well may happen, but I think it will happen months or years after those FSD features are released and available to MCU2/AP3 cars (be they original MCU2 or MCU1 that upgraded to MCU2 cars).

That likely was due solely to firmware redeploy issues that have been resolved. MCU1 and HW3 have proven compatibility thanks to very green proving it.

Tesla should just give MCU2 because visualizer is almost certainly going to be required by even industry created regs but Tesla also should've given us HW3 first since we paid first. I'll still be happy when Tesla follows through with MCU2 and HW3 at the same time by the end of the month. Likely another unnecessary overpromise underdeliver by Tesla.

Here is the work order. I have an MCU1/AP2.5.
20E6D558-1F0C-4892-A033-130BC1222B1F.jpeg

Not sure I understand -- there is only one display (the big one) being replaced, right? I did not ask if I can keep the old MCU -- it's not very easy these days via the app (no chance of talking to someone). I'll try to ask via text, though...

Not sure I understand -- there is only one display (the big one) being replaced, right? I did not ask if I can keep the old MCU -- it's not very easy these days via the app (no chance of talking to someone). I'll try to ask via text, though...

We don't know, but the IC changed from being its own computer to just a secondary display of the MCU on new cars that come with a MCU2. So we are assuming that they are going to replace the IC as well as the MCU. (But they don't have to replace either display; they could move the MCU display from your old one to the new one, and they could replace the logic board on the IC to make it just an external monitor like on new cars.)

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
Also, the end of March is the timeline for sending out invites. Really says nothing about how fast they can be schedules. It's encouraging that at least one 2.5 owner has the upgrade scheduled for _this week_. Perhaps there is a chance I could get mine updated before Summer.