Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you saying that the display on a MCU1 isn't compatible with a MCU2? (It would be extra labor but it would save on parts.)
Everything is part of two SKUs.

20E6D558-1F0C-4892-A033-130BC1222B1F.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
so one line item stating MCU upgrade,
and one line item for MCU Intel HW3 upgrade, and all of the parts and work that includes,
yet they have a line for 4 hex nuts. o_O

My guess is Line 6 is for the replacement MCU2 and IC2.
Line 7 is for the HW3 which requires 4 new bolts/nuts.

I guess at some point, they will do HW3 upgrades without needing MCU2/IC2, and will also offer MCU/IC2 without HW3.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Guys, focus on that price. $2500 includes labor. That could easily be 2 hours at $150-$175 per. Even better if its a new screen. I hope, but I am not betting it will be tax free when I am, but shaving the labor off that bill is a big plus.

I'm in. Waiting in line.

Looks like that one took most of a day? That will likely a first one done. They will shorten that to 1 hour by this time next month.

Are you saying that the display on a MCU1 isn't compatible with a MCU2? (It would be extra labor but it would save on parts.)
Well, it depends. The screen itself IS compatible, but the touscreen - may not be. there are two types in use, cypress and maxtouch. maxtouch is same that's used in mcu2 and was in use at least since 2017, cypress prior to then and is not compatible (or at least did not work when I tried it)
I don't think IC screen could be easily replaced so it would be full IC unit swap for sure.

Sucks? That sucks? Surely you don't mean that? Do you realize that's giving you a flat rate regardless of where you live? You don't think the per hour charge for labor in Smokelamp AR is cheaper than let's see, hmmm, Chicag-ie, sorry Chicago? You are getting a bargain. They picked the number at $2500. It could have been $2500 AND labor 1 or 2 or 3 hours regardless of how long it really takes. Many - maybe most of us would still pay it.

We collectively complained and whined and tweeted Elon for two years. Finally they have a fix, a new MCU2 upgrade. With all the other crap happening in the U.S. and the world, can't we just for a few minutes be grateful to Tesla for coming through? Please? Please y'all?

Okay, if there are those that can't. I can enough for all.