Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sucks? That sucks? Surely you don't mean that? Do you realize that's giving you a flat rate regardless of where you live? You don't think the per hour charge for labor in Smokelamp AR is cheaper than let's see, hmmm, Chicag-ie, sorry Chicago? You are getting a bargain. They picked the number at $2500. It could have been $2500 AND labor 1 or 2 or 3 hours regardless of how long it really takes. Many - maybe most of us would still pay it.

We collectively complained and whined and tweeted Elon for two years. Finally they have a fix, a new MCU2 upgrade. With all the other crap happening in the U.S. and the world, can't we just for a few minutes be grateful to Tesla for coming through? Please? Please y'all?

Okay, if there are those that can't. I can enough for all.

You realize they're taxing the $2500, right? So you're paying tax on the labor, which should have to be done. For all I care, it could have been $2000 + $500 labor. I don't care how they break it down, it's just $2500 is not a flat fee. You're at $3000 after tax.

You realize they're taxing the $2500, right? So you're paying tax on the labor, which should have to be done. For all I care, it could have been $2000 + $500 labor. I don't care how they break it down, it's just $2500 is not a flat fee. You're at $3000 after tax.

most states charge tax on both. So this is a unique issue for your area. I think a $2500 flat fee (plus tax) is the best way to price it without variables.

Last edited:

I still don't get what you're so upset about. It's a $2500 FLAT FEE. How can you say it's not? It's $2500 for you, $2500 for me, and $2500 for Joe in SixPack, TX. They don't break it down into parts and labor, for all we know, it's $2500 parts and free installation. It doesn't really matter anyway. And $3000 after tax? Is sales tax 20% in Chicago?

most states charge tax on both. So this is a unique issue for your area. I think a $2500 flat fee (plus tax) is the best way to price it without variables.

Really? The numerous states I deal with charge tax only on parts, and not on labor.

In any event, it’s not that much of a money difference on a per unit basis. I just hope that if Tesla is charging tax on the $2500, they are paying the full collected tax to the respective states, and not internally listing it as say, for example, $2000 for parts and $500 for labor and as a result pocketing the tax collected on the $500 labor.

It seems I'm very unlucky with bad timing. My AP1 MCU1 recently died under warranty. My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for delivery of a new (or likely refurbished) MCU1 replacement. I've asked the service center multiple times if they could just upgrade me to an MCU2 unit, but they've told me It's not possible for AP1 cars yet. If the MCU1 could have survived a few more months I likely could have upgraded it for free or a small charge.

It seems I'm very unlucky with bad timing. My AP1 MCU1 recently died under warranty. My car has been in the shop for 2 weeks waiting for delivery of a new (or likely refurbished) MCU1 replacement. I've asked the service center multiple times if they could just upgrade me to an MCU2 unit, but they've told me It's not possible for AP1 cars yet. If the MCU1 could have survived a few more months I likely could have upgraded it for free or a small charge.

It's $2500, not free or for a small charge. If you're still under warranty then you'll get a MCU/1, otherwise the $2500 still applies if you plan to upgrade to MCU2.

I've gotten mixed messages from the Service Center. One person told me the same, that even if the upgrade was available for AP1 I'd have to pay full price. Another suggested if it was available they'd do it. Either way, it's not really a major upgrade for AP1 cars. I don't care about games, video streaming or the browser. So the only real benefit is a zippier interface. Not worth $2500 IMHO. For people with FSD it's much more compelling.

I agree that it is a lower yield upgrade for AP1 MCU1 cars, but there are those who want to retain their cars for as long as possible (makes financial/sentimental/ethical sense) and would find satisfaction in the MCU2 upgrade -- and hold out hope for future battery upgrades should they be made available. I for one would think this could make business sense for Tesla where the service centers do turn some profit for these upgrades and there would be a growing pool of current owners who would buy them. Not every current owner wants, or is able, to buy the latest/greatest Tesla that comes out. Plus, Tesla's stated mission implies getting new conquests, not the same owners who flip cars after 2 years (at least environmentally speaking). I digress!

What are others thoughts on looking at this as an upgrade that you may be able to recoup a portion later down the road when it’s time to sell on open market?
ie: two identical cars for sale and one has the upgrade the other not. Is one worth 1000 or 1500 more than the other? I realize the new owner can schedule his or her own upgrade but at closer to 2500 + taxes etc...and the time to have it done, as opposed to it’s already equipped.

I could handle the cost a bit better thinking I might get some back down the road.

What are others thoughts on looking at this as an upgrade that you may be able to recoup a portion later down the road when it’s time to sell on open market?
ie: two identical cars for sale and one has the upgrade the other not. Is one worth 1000 or 1500 more than the other? I realize the new owner can schedule his or her own upgrade but at closer to 2500 + taxes etc...and the time to have it done, as opposed to it’s already equipped.

I could handle the cost a bit better thinking I might get some back down the road.

imho - very little as the majority of the folks don’t know what they are looking at anyway.

of course a private sale to an educated buyer it should help a bit.

Yes, I do, I can read pretty well. They tax services in my state. You know, you could really show them you don't like they way they are bundling labor - don't buy it. :)

That depends, Tesla may only offer the upgrade for a limited time and then discontinue it. (Like some of the battery upgrades have already been discontinued.)

Reactions: MIT_S60 and Akikiki
That depends, Tesla may only offer the upgrade for a limited time and then discontinue it. (Like some of the battery upgrades have already been discontinued.)
That’s interesting. I hadn’t really given that thought. It would then certainly be of an added value.
I think Tesla owners are generally more knowledgeable about how their cars work and have an understanding of the hardware in them at least to some degree. In that respect I think potential buyers from private sellers will understand the value.

Reactions: Proudlock
I am not perfectly clear on this, but as I understand it, “Enhanced Autopilot”, often abbreviated as EAP but not to be confused with the “Early Access Program” also abbreviated as EAP, was a option package that predated FSD or perhaps existed alongside it for a while. I purchased my car in Sept 2018 from inventory, it was manufactured in Feb 2018, and I purchased the FSD option. I don’t recall whether EAP (Enhanced Autopilot) was one of my other options.

I also understand that somewhere along the line, Enhanced Autopilot as an option available for purchase disappeared, but remained attached to the cars purchased with that option. And that it includes most of the features released so far under the FSD umbrella, I think “Smart Summon” being an exception. As more FSD features get released, the big one being city AP, the gap should widen.

Am I anywhere close? I assume your car was purchased with EAP? Was FSD an option at that time?

Yes, you are very close :)
Our Tesla was ordered with just ap + EAP, you could also buy FSD, but would then need to buy the others first, then I had a change of heart right before delivery and ordered FSD also.

And the FSD described when I bought, is different from the "lamer/lesser" one described today.
All FSD functions that are today, where in EAP also.

So in reality, you buy EAP if you buy FSD today.
And yes, smart summon was/is a part of the EAP package.

Reactions: VValleyEV
'14 MS P85+ no AP/no FSD owner. Waiting to get my new MCU2, while I agree $2500 is expensive...if the offer DOES disappear I'd feel worse for not getting the upgrade. Not that I'm planning on selling the car, but circumstances always dictate. I'm ready to order my Black on Black with Black '20s Model Y LR any minute now...I'm gonna murder that beast and dump my last running BMW. Roast that. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric

in my communication with used car sellers (you know salvage repair and resell) nobody looks at mcu type at time of purchase. they realize LATER they should have, but that's too late. So it won't pay off. That's why those types of people generally don't proactively update to MCU2 while they do plug hw3 in proactively because people do look at that at purchase time.