Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next week (midweek). Still won’t believe it til it’s done, but I’ve been informed that parts are in. Kudos to Tesla for mobilizing quickly on this one.
You realize they're taxing the $2500, right? So you're paying tax on the labor, which should have to be done. For all I care, it could have been $2000 + $500 labor. I don't care how they break it down, it's just $2500 is not a flat fee. You're at $3000 after tax.

And if the price had been $5000, almost everyone here would have paid it. Happily.

Stop complaining and be thankful. This is fantastic news.

Slight off topic.... but has there been any MCU2+HW3 upgrades performed for AP2 (not AP2.5) owners yet?

I have pre-paid FSD and AP2/MCU1 so wondering if this upgrade can also install HW3 so I am (finally after 2.5 years) ready for FDS as software updates are delivered.

Slight off topic.... but has there been any MCU2+HW3 upgrades performed for AP2 (not AP2.5) owners yet?

I have pre-paid FSD and AP2/MCU1 so wondering if this upgrade can also install HW3 so I am (finally after 2.5 years) ready for FDS as software updates are delivered.
Yes, reported yesterday on TMC (different thread, I think), but the report was detailed on reddit, not here. See link:
Just got the MCU2 upgrade : teslamotors

MCU2 Upgrade and AM/FM/XM Radio Issues | TeslaTap

This is interesting. If this becomes possible, I will be doing the upgrade immediately. However, without a normal radio, I can't justify doing the upgrade.

That says the upgrade won't work on cars before 10/1/16. I thought it was just that Tesla won't be offering the upgrade until all AP2.0/MCU1 takers have done it.

1210CA90-1E51-40CF-97E2-93DD5C938718.jpeg

Getting the upgrade at Miramar San Diego today on our Dec 2017 MX HW2.5 MCU1.

Re: 2017 Model S P100D
Can you be more clear? This MCU2? I have a 2017 vehicle with MCU1 but MCU2s were made as well that year.

Sure thing. I have a MCU1 AP2.5 with FSD pre-purchased. Built Sept of 2017, picked up Sept 2017. My VIN qualified and they had all the parts on site (the two part numbers matched what I posted above in this same thread).

It will be installed on Monday morning (my drop off was 2:15pm today so not enough time to get it done today). Core charge is $1000 to keep my old MCU1.

Did you need to request the service, or did Tesla reach out to you?

Once I got the email titled "Coming Soon — Your Infotainment Upgrade" on Mon, Mar 2, 4:00 PM Pacific, the next day I booked my appointment in the app. I chose the 13th just in case they needed time to order the VIN matched MCU2 and HW3. Earlier this week I got a call from the service center and they confirmed that my VIN shows that it is eligible and the parts had already arrived at the service center.

When I dropped off my Model S today, I also inquired about my wife's 2016 Model X (ordered Dec 2016, picked up Dec 2016), and that one is not yet available. This Model X is a MCU1, AP2.0 with FSD pre-purchased. What I plan to do is on 3/31, I'll go ahead and book that appointment and pick a date of 4/16 or even 4/20 which should give them enough time to order the parts in April.