Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: 2017 Model S P100D
Can you be more clear? This MCU2? I have a 2017 vehicle with MCU1 but MCU2s were made as well that year.

Also, I call it Infotainment Upgrade as that is what the email and the Support Web Site indicates, so I used that terminology in my request. However, the actual parts to be installed are the MCU2, IC2 and the HW3.

Note: You don't get any of the old equipment back unless you pay the $1000 core charge.

So consider the $2500 the discounted price if you return your old equipment, otherwise it's $3500 to walk away with your old tech.

Here is what I recommend.

If you have a Model S/X that is MCU1 and HW2.5, just book an appointment to get the $2500 Infotainment upgrade. Include a copy of the email saved in PDF as an attachment when you make the appointment.

If you have a Model S/X that is MCU1 and HW2.0, then wait until 3/31 and then do the same, and book the $2500 infotainment upgrade.

Some speculation from @
0ADF23E7-2780-4997-9727-9EE8C920E6D5.jpeg
greentheonly

Does anyone know, does the MCU unit power the graphics in the display behind the steering wheel? I ask because one of the benefits is supposed to be enhanced visualization for Full Self driving, I assume that will be displayed on the Driver display not the main MCU unit as that where all the displays are today for model S

Actually 2017 is all MCU 1. He probably has AP 2.5 though. Maybe @zanary knows that detail.
MCU 2 only came out in 2018.

Sure thing. I have a MCU1 AP2.5 with FSD pre-purchased. Built Sept of 2017, picked up Sept 2017.

Thanks guys. Sorry I got the AP/HW number mixed up in my mind as my vehicle is July 2017 (AP/HW2.0) so one month later was AP/HW2.5 which I was disappointed in and why with the discount on the vehicle I got (service loaner), I just bought FSD upgrade at that time.

Looking forward to my MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. As well as my AP/HW2.0 -> FSD/HW3.0 upgrade. All before a couple of summer roadtrips we have planned!!

IJyxalV.jpg

Via: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

Smart business move on Tesla. How many of us 2.0/2.5 with paid FSD are waiting for our free HW3 upgrade? Tesla SC/Mobile will be swamped with this task and not get paid to do it. So they offer this infotainment upgrade knowing a majority are going to fork over $2500 to get this upgrade and they will just do the HW3 swap at that time.

Waiting this one out. The early adopters can pay it forward to enjoy their early access. I am sure this infotainment upgrade is going to either get discounted later or upgraded for free. I would think Tesla wouldn't want to spend extra resources on providing software updates for both MCU1 FSD and MCU2 FSD and just make it easier to get everyone with FSD on MCU2.

This. There's still going to be thousands of MCU1 cars (of all flavors) still on the road. Tesla isn't going to just upgrade everyone to retire MCU1. Or they'll EOL MCU1 entirely leaving all those owners twisting in the wind (or pay to upgrade), which I seriously doubt they would do, but hey, anything's possible.
Or maybe the plan was to let all MCU1's die when emmc dies out of warranty, then price the cost of upgrade to MCU2 the same as refurb MCU1, so MCU1 EOL's itself on customer's dime. ;) Of course people swapping their emmc's and prolonging the life of their MCU1 are throwing a wrench into this plan, as they will outlast even the refurbs Tesla installed. :cool: Of course at some point Tesla could write software detecting whether the emmc has been swapped and officially discontinue support for those, or be sneaky and write a simple update which will corrupt the MCU if the emmc partitions are larger than original (an update that refreshes the partition table for example by writing the original partition table expected in the original 8GB device, leaving all MCUs with expanded partitions with filesystem size larger than the partition). :eek: Not saying this will happen, just theorizing on the possibilities. ;)

Last edited:
Smart business move on Tesla. How many of us 2.0/2.5 with paid FSD are waiting for our free HW3 upgrade? Tesla SC/Mobile will be swamped with this task and not get paid to do it. So they offer this infotainment upgrade knowing a majority are going to fork over $2500 to get this upgrade and they will just do the HW3 swap at that time.

Waiting this one out. The early adopters can pay it forward to enjoy their early access. I am sure this infotainment upgrade is going to either get discounted later or upgraded for free. I would think Tesla wouldn't want to spend extra resources on providing software updates for both MCU1 FSD and MCU2 FSD and just make it easier to get everyone with FSD on MCU2.

This is me.

As MCU1 + AP2.0 FSD car owner, I'm also thinking of waiting a bit on this. While I appreciate Tesla coming through on Elon's Tweet from 2 years ago, this right now just seems like Tesla offering AP2.0 FSD owners the "privilege of getting HW3 immediately/quickly" for $2,500 when these first adopters already pre-paid $3,000 for FSD almost 4 years ago still with nothing to show for it.

So from a "this is a matter principle" perspective, I'm choosing not to fork over another $2,500. Let's see if MCU1 + AP3.0 (or whatever AP-next-computer) is able to achieve the L5-definition of FSD from 2016. If so, awesome - I might see the upgrade as independent of FSD functionality. But if not, then the MCU becomes another component of the car that needs to be upgraded as part of pre-purchased FSD.

From a technical standpoint, I'd rather not be the first AP2.0 car for my SC to l̶e̶a̶r̶n̶ upgrade...