Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question, if I might. My Feb 2020 Model 3 came with FM radio, plus the streaming stuff. Are you saying you can no longer tune in FM stations directly?
I understand the lack of AM, the electronic "noise" generated by the Tesla wipes out AM radio, and some of the Amateur Radio bands. But no FM?
That would mean you can't even use one of the XM radios which connect through a vacant FM channel.

This only applies to Model S&X vehicles that currently have an MCU1 and opt to install the "infotainment upgrade". Once they do that upgrade they no longer have a working AM/FM/XM tuner.

• Helpful
Reactions: outdoors
DONE!

My Infotainment upgrade has been completed. Dropped off my Model S on Friday, and picked up a few hours ago. Here's my details writeup.

-----

Summary: This is possibly the best $2500 you will even spend on your Model S/X.

My Vehicle: 2017 Model S P100D, built and delivered in September 2017. It is equipped with MCU1, AP 2.5 and I have the Full Self Driving pre-purchased. It’s fully wrapped with a graphic wrap and had no issues with Tesla performing the upgrade. I was already running 2020.12 prior to the upgrade. Still running 2020.12 after the upgrade. I only noticed that they pushed out 2020.12 just once after it was all completed. I assume that the option codes were updated, so when 2020.12 was re-installed it added all of the new “stuff” that is supported on MCU2.

Here are the details that might interest some of you.
  • You do get a new MCU screen. Mine still had the plastic protective wrap on it which I remove when I got into the vehicle.
  • You do get a new IC screen.
  • All settings are retained except for. (1) WIFI settings/connections, (2) Bluetooth settings/pairings, (3) Web browser favorites.
  • Trip values, and custom labels are retained.
  • Seat positions, mirror positions, and driver profile settings for each driver remain.
  • Navigation history and favorites are retained.
  • Favorite audio stations are retained (Slacker, and Tune-In)
  • Historical audio stations are also retained.
  • The warning “beeps” that Joe Mode reduces are much louder than with MCU1. This may freak you out at first, but it's loud. It will sure get your attention.
  • Two type of vehicle calibrations are needed. (1) One for Autopilot basic features, (2) One for lane changes with/without notification. If you go into the Autopilot Settings you’ll that the second one only starts to calibrate once the first one has been completed.
  • Wifi appears much quicker
  • LTE appears much quicker. It still connects to 3G when out of 4G and LTE range. The bar visuals have no change, but connection is much quicker.
  • The games had to be downloaded for the 1st time. You need Wifi for this.
  • There was a required Navigation update that had to be done over WIFI.
  • Overall, the MCU is 100x quicker. HUGE improvement in responsiveness. HUGE improvement in refresh of data on the screen.
  • Visuals on IC2 are 100x smoother and more detailed than before. Animation is 100x better as well, and so smooth.
  • All visuals (garbage cans, cones, lights, road markings, bike land markings, etc…) all appear on IC2
  • I did have to re-enable Ambient Lights. Maybe they turned it off during the install.
  • The scroll wheels are hugely responsive. Each scroll now is recorded whereas before I would have to scroll a few times for it to reduce the volume or the temperature (both scroll wheels behave the same, so it was not a defective scroll wheels). Now, they operate so smoothly and with immediate response.
  • I have the Premium Audio (which was standard on my MS). Before the upgrade I had a EQ that went to 12. Now it only goes to 8. It also has Immersive Sound with three options, however I tested it out with a variety of music (classical, dance, gansta rap, disco, pop, and Spanish), and they all sound the same. I think before I had Off and Dolby Surround. Now I don’t see Dolby listed anywhere.
  • The release notes, manual all appears immediately. No issues with a blank screen anymore.
  • YouTube works perfectly (like your iPhone in portrait mode where the vide is on the top, followed by meta-data below it). Sound quality is impressive for YouTube.
  • I got my USB Drive working again. Just plugged it in. Before I dropped it off, I got the “USB Full” false positive error that everyone is reporting (even on 2020.12), but when I just plugged it in after the upgrade, it works perfectly. Not too sure why as I had 2020.12 before and after the upgrade. Very happy that it’s recording both Sentry and Dashcam again. It’s the S500 - TeslaCam SSD Extreme from PureTesla if anyone is curious.
  • There is no FM/AM/XM radio. We knew that, but I just wanted to confirm this finding in the event you were hopeful.
  • I did not get to keep the old MCU1/IC1. There was a $1000 core charge if I wanted to keep it.
  • I did not notice any sort of USB charging speed increase (in case you were thinking that the amperage might be increased).
  • Before you drop off your vehicle, turn off any Vehicle PIN you might have setup. You will need to re-enable it once you get your Tesla back.
  • When you re-pair your Tesla with your iPhone, the name will now change to Tesla Model S followed by the name of your vehicle. Before the default was just Tesla Model S.
  • When I re-connected my Tesla to my home WIFI, it shows up with a new MAC address, and the manufacture of the chipset appears to be LG Innotek now (previously it was Parrot SA). I’ve only noticed a 2.4ghz connection, but I’m sure it will switch to 5.0ghz when it needs to download something heavy (software, game updates, another navigation update).
Note: I mention x100 throughout the above bullets not as a exact measurement, but as a emotion statement to indicate that it's so damn quick. It's night and day!

Thanks for the thorough update. How did you get your appointment? I have a July 2017 model S. Prepaid FSD. I tried to get an appointment and they told me I had to wait for an email invitation.

Thanks for the thorough update. How did you get your appointment? I have a July 2017 model S. Prepaid FSD. I tried to get an appointment and they told me I had to wait for an email invitation.
Your July 2017 car is most likely AP2.0. Currently, they are only upgrading AP2.5 cars which were built from August 2017 through March 2018.

My Dec2017 built and purchased 75D is going in for upgrade to MCU2 and HW3 tomorrow. I was having problems with both the rear camera and the MCU1 going blank for few seconds over the past many weeks. They initially wanted to replace MCU1 with a with a new one. I told that its waste of resources since I anyways want to go with MCU2 upgrade(after the official announcement came out). But they said that it will take longer(may be 6months before my turn ) and would prefer to replace with MCU1 first. I said fine. My original appointment last week was moved by a week and yesterday they confirmed that they will do MCU2 upgrade. Will update here once its done.

Maybe @verygreen could explain how difficult it is and what special tools are necessary for doing that
it's not difficult and no special tools are needed.

But Tesla considers these methods exploits (because it also allows you to unlock features you did not pay for) so when they become public, they are closed or mitigated. As such documenting such methods is self-defeating.

DONE!

My Infotainment upgrade has been completed. Dropped off my Model S on Friday, and picked up a few hours ago. Here's my details writeup.

-----

My Vehicle: 2017 Model S P100D, built and delivered in September 2017. It is equipped with MCU1, AP 2.5 and I have the Full Self Driving pre-purchased. It’s fully wrapped with a graphic wrap and had no issues with Tesla performing the upgrade. I was already running 2020.12 prior to the upgrade. Still running 2020.12 after the upgrade. I only noticed that they pushed out 2020.12 just once after it was all completed. I assume that the option codes were updated, so when 2020.12 was re-installed it added all of the new “stuff” that is supported on MCU2.

• You do get a new MCU screen. Mine still had the plastic protective wrap on it which I remove when I got into the vehicle.
  • All settings are retained except for. (1) WIFI settings/connections, (2) Bluetooth settings/pairings, (3) Web browser favorites.
  • Seat positions, mirror positions, and driver profile settings for each driver remain.
  • The warning “beeps” that Joe Mode reduces are much louder than with MCU1. This may freak you out at first, but it's loud. It will sure get your attention.
  • Two type of vehicle calibrations are needed. (1) One for Autopilot basic features, (2) One for lane changes with/without notification. If you go into the Autopilot Settings you’ll that the second one only starts to calibrate once the first one has been completed.
  • LTE appears much quicker. It still connects to 3G when out of 4G and LTE range. The bar visuals have no change, but connection is much quicker.
  • Overall, the MCU is 100x quicker. HUGE improvement in responsiveness. HUGE improvement in refresh of data on the screen.
  • Visuals on IC2 are 100x smoother and more detailed than before. Animation is 100x better as well, and so smooth.
  • All visuals (garbage cans, cones, lights, road markings, bike land markings, etc…) all appear on IC2
  • I did have to re-enable Ambient Lights. Maybe they turned it off during the install.
  • The scroll wheels are hugely responsive. Each scroll now is recorded whereas before I would have to scroll a few times for it to reduce the volume or the temperature (both scroll wheels behave the same, so it was not a defective scroll wheels). Now, they operate so smoothly and with immediate response.
  • I have the Premium Audio (which was standard on my MS). Before the upgrade I had a EQ that went to 12. Now it only goes to 8. It also has Immersive Sound with three options, however I tested it out with a variety of music (classical, dance, gansta rap, disco, pop, and Spanish), and they all sound the same. I think before I had Off and Dolby Surround. Now I don’t see Dolby listed anywhere.
  • The release notes, manual all appears immediately. No issues with a blank screen anymore.
  • YouTube works perfectly (like your iPhone in portrait mode where the vide is on the top, followed by meta-data below it). Sound quality is impressive for YouTube.
  • I got my USB Drive working again. Just plugged it in. Before I dropped it off, I got the “USB Full” false positive error that everyone is reporting (even on 2020.12), but when I just plugged it in after the upgrade, it works perfectly. Not too sure why as I had 2020.12 before and after the upgrade. Very happy that it’s recording both Sentry and Dashcam again. It’s the S500 - TeslaCam SSD Extreme from PureTesla if anyone is curious.
  • There is no FM/AM/XM radio. We knew that, but I just wanted to confirm this finding in the event you were hopeful.
  • I did not get to keep the old MCU1/IC1. There was a $1000 core charge if I wanted to keep it.
  • I did not notice any sort of USB charging speed increase (in case you were thinking that the amperage might be increased).
  • Before you drop off your vehicle, turn off any Vehicle PIN you might have setup. You will need to re-enable it once you get your Tesla back.
  • When you re-pair your Tesla with your iPhone, the name will now change to Tesla Model S followed by the name of your vehicle. Before the default was just Tesla Model S.
  • When I re-connected my Tesla to my home WIFI, it shows up with a new MAC address, and the manufacture of the chipset appears to be LG Innotek now (previously it was Parrot SA). I’ve only noticed a 2.4ghz connection, but I’m sure it will switch to 5.0ghz when it needs to download something heavy (software, game updates, another navigation update).
Note: I mention x100 throughout the above bullets not as a exact measurement, but as a emotion statement to indicate that it's so damn quick. It's night and day!
That’s awesome.
For folks that think Tesla is charging too much, Ford won’t even help me update my informant from the horrible Sync 2 - Microsoft mess to the Sync 3, even though I was able to buy the parts off eBay and upgrade my 2015 $70k Ford myself, easily. Had ford offered this service it would have been MORE than Tesla charges and you get way less of an upgrade. Example, I didn’t get 3G or 4G not Youtube access.

My Dec2017 built and purchased 75D is going in for upgrade to MCU2 and HW3 tomorrow. I was having problems with both the rear camera and the MCU1 going blank for few seconds over the past many weeks. They initially wanted to replace MCU1 with a with a new one. I told that its waste of resources since I anyways want to go with MCU2 upgrade(after the official announcement came out). But they said that it will take longer(may be 6months before my turn ) and would prefer to replace with MCU1 first. I said fine. My original appointment last week was moved by a week and yesterday they confirmed that they will do MCU2 upgrade. Will update here once its done.

I have the same build. Do you have to pay anything out of pocket for them to replace with an MCU2?

(1) MCU1 on my Model S with AP 2.5. Since I'm always using Dashcam and Sentry mode, the MCU1 is so laggy that I don't want to even use it. That's because it's always writing the camera video feeds to the USB hard drive (yes I have a fast one, see my full writeup for what I have and where I got it from).
Ah, I didn't realize the MCU1 with AP2.5 was effectively slower than my S with AP2, since mine doesn't record video.

Does the work take more than a day? Or was the drop-off so they could start on in first thing Monday? thanks

I had a 3pm Friday appointment, and since they don't run a weekend crew any more (they don't need to as they are no longer backed up), they would get to it on Monday morning. Apparently they had time on Friday late afternoon to complete the work but not before service picked up closes at 6pm, so I got the text to pick up my car first thing Monday morning. So it took about a day if you exclude the weekend.

DONE!

-----

I had a 3pm Friday appointment, and since they don't run a weekend crew any more (they don't need to as they are no longer backed up), they would get to it on Monday morning. Apparently they had time on Friday late afternoon to complete the work but not before service picked up closes at 6pm, so I got the text to pick up my car first thing Monday morning. So it took about a day if you exclude the weekend.
Did you get a Tesla or ICE loaner while in for the upgrade?

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Actually moved my appointment for MCU2/HW3 a day earlier (wasn’t sure if CV would affect the service center staying open). So in yesterday and got the X back this morning exactly 24 hours later. They also replaced a control arm and sun visors in the same appointment. Evidently I was the first one done at the NoVA (Tyco) service center. Everything went smoothly and I’m definitely enjoying the snappiness of the MCU, FSD visualization, theater apps, Caraoke, etc. It was worth it to me. I did lose all my settings, though.

Here’s a quick side-by-side (don’t be alarmed of the gloves, lol).

Last edited:
Actually moved my appointment for MCU2/HW3 a day earlier (wasn’t sure if CV would affect the service center staying open). So in yesterday and got the X back this morning exactly 24 hours later. They also replaced a control arm and sun visors in the same appointment. Evidently I was the first one done at the NoVA (Tyco) service center. Everything went smoothly and I’m definitely enjoying the snappiness of the MCU, FSD visualization, theater apps, Caraoke, etc. It was worth it to me. I did lose all my settings, though.

Here’s a quick side-by-side (don’t be alarmed of the gloves, lol).

Incredible difference. Sometimes, when traveling, I need to see what is near an exit, so the MCU 1 would always fail to load fast enough. No problem with MCU 2.

Has anyone had MCU1, with < AP2.5, replaced with MCU2?

My MS is currently in the shop for a dead MCU1. The local SvC says the infotainment upgrade can only be done with cars having AP2.5 or above. I don't believe this is true. Can anyone confirm that it's possible with a 2015 (MCU1 EAP) car? If so, can you provide me with a VIN of your car ( feel free to PM me if you prefer not to post it. I need the VIN so the service mgr can check into it)? The service manager is willing to look deeper into this if I can provide info. Thanks. I'd prefer not to get another MCU1.