Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that's exactly what I had/have. I have no idea why they rejected you. I literally made the appointment from the app about an hour after the email arrived, first available was two weeks out (March 3 for March 17 if I recall correctly).

There is definitely confusion. I tried to schedule again and again I was told I was ineligible based on my VIN and that the soonest they foresee that changing is May. But they also mentioned that they were basing that off of AP3 alone. And that there was no point in me getting MCU2 upgrade if I wasn't eligible for AP3 at the same time. So they were taking the worst of the two dates. I explained that the reason I wasn't eligible for AP3 sooner was because I still had MCU1 and that if they did the upgrade like the infotainment e-mail said, I would jump ahead to being eligible for AP3.

I appear to be stuck in a "chicken or egg" loop.

They were confused, I was confused they were confused, and now I am waiting to hear back from the Service Center to see what they say about my re-scheduled appointment on Friday.

There is definitely confusion. I tried to schedule again and again I was told I was ineligible based on my VIN and that the soonest they foresee that changing is May. But they also mentioned that they were basing that off of AP3 alone. And that there was no point in me getting MCU2 upgrade if I wasn't eligible for AP3 at the same time. So they were taking the worst of the two dates. I explained that the reason I wasn't eligible for AP3 sooner was because I still had MCU1 and that if they did the upgrade like the infotainment e-mail said, I would jump ahead to being eligible for AP3.

I appear to be stuck in a "chicken or egg" loop.

They were confused, I was confused they were confused, and now I am waiting to hear back from the Service Center to see what they say about my re-scheduled appointment on Friday.

Worse case, if you go there in person, and ask them to bring up your Vehicle by VIN, right there in the "notification" section it will say if your vehicle qualifies for the Infotainment + HW3 upgrade for the $2500 + Tax. If it doesn't appear in the notification section, they won't be able to place the order for the parts.

You must have an MCU1 Model S/X, with AP 2.5 hardware, and have already pre-purchased the FSD Software for this 1st batch of customers.

Reactions: Gt1948
I’m curious: were MCU1/AP2.0/FSD folks supposed to get the original email? Because I haven’t gotten anything at all from Tesla even indicating this upgrade path exists(other than seeing the support page after the emails were reported here). I’m not terribly worried since it would t be my turn yet, anyway, but hoping I’m not just forgotten.
Not yet,

According to the web site, it says end of March, so I suspect that MCU1 with AP2.0 Hardware who have pre-purchased FSD Software should begin to get their emails titled "Coming Soon — Your Infotainment Upgrade" starting on 3/31 (assuming the original plan is not impacted by current events).

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.40.04 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I had no email invitation and had mine done last week. Set up appoint in the app and specified that i purchased FSD am on hw2.5 and want to buy the MCU2 upgrade. No issues.

i didnt get the official pricing email (docusign invoice) until I arrived for my appt

I’m curious: were MCU1/AP2.0/FSD folks supposed to get the original email? Because I haven’t gotten anything at all from Tesla even indicating this upgrade path exists(other than seeing the support page after the emails were reported here). I’m not terribly worried since it would t be my turn yet, anyway, but hoping I’m not just forgotten.
Same boat - No email, no notification, I presume if I try to schedule anything now it'll get rejected. Plus everybody in our area is on lockdown, so I highly doubt there is much going on at the local Tesla Service Center.

Just got my upgrade today, so here are a few notes, some of which I don't believe have been mentioned before.

This car is a 2018 Model S P100D, built middle of march 2018, MCU1, AP2.5 with prepaid FSD.
  • Appointment was made 2 weeks ago to allow parts to come in.
  • Left the car at SC early morning and picked it up in late afternoon.
  • I received 3 separate Software Upgrade notice while the car was in service. Ultimately ended up with 2020.8.1.1 when I picked up the car.
  • All 5 of my local FM stations which I had set as favorites were already converted to TuneIn versions when I picked up the car... with their respective logos and all.
  • I had trouble connecting to my main WiFi router at home from the day I purchased the car... After arriving home with the upgrade and setting up the password, the car connected to the main router just fine and started fetching the navigation map update! :)
    • I run a Smart Home, so lots of traffic on that router (Z-Wave, Zigbee, Plex, etc.)
    • I had to set up a separate router just for our two Tesla cars so they could be on their own network and successfully connect to WiFi. I won't need this router once the other car gets the upgrade! :)
    • Even with the 2nd router, the connection rate was slow (1-2 bars). After the upgrade the connection is yielding 3 bars.
  • I was not able to detect and connect to the 5GHz network yet... I will have to experiment with this a bit more.
  • Total cost $2500 (no tax in Oregon) and well worth it. I can hardly wait to get our other car done.

I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Otherwise the mcu1 ap1/no AP cars will be last to be offered the upgrade. They said maybe 6 months from now. (This was what I was told a week ago)
If anyone's MCU1 craps out and gets this option, I would hope they would take advantage.

As I said, price is not $2500 flat anymore...at least in CA. They must've recoded the products/services, so that the $2500 is taxed (likely a mistake as I've seen northern california invoices without it previously) and now includes $214.50 of labor. See attached screenshot of my appt/accepted charges.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 16.00.26.jpeg
    Screenshot 2020-03-23 at 16.00.26.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 61
I have a 2017 Model S with an MCU1, AP2.5 & pre-paid for FSD.
However, I have yet to receive the Infotainment Upgrade email from Tesla (nor does it show under "Upgrades" on my iPhone app. Should I be concerned?

Also, while I might have missed it in this thread, has anyone with MCU1 , AP2.5 and FSD had HW3 installed without upgrading to an MCU2?
If you have, is it correct to ASSUME that you get a smoother NoAP operation, but no (yet) IC updates (cones, stop lights, stop signs...)?
Thanks!

Why are we talking about it being in the Upgrades section of the app? It wasn’t and it won’t be. The email said to make an appointment as all of us had. No one has seen it appear in the app.

As for the confused SC’s, that’s a whole different question.

If you have an MCU 1/AP 2.5 car and you paid for FSD I’d make an appointment and see what happens.

New Why are we talking about it being in the Upgrades section of the app? It wasn’t and it won’t be. The email said to make an appointment as all of us had.

This is my fault, because i suddenly saw the "upgrade" section in the app, and was thinking maybe it was for just that, upgrades...

Yes the email says you can make a appointment through the app also, so who knows, maybe they put it in a (the) upgrade section.

However, I also noted that it stated that I have all eligible upgrades, FSD etc...

Why would people people get angry and debate so hard over this?
-is it really that outlandish that Tesla would put this in the upgrade section?
Because for me, I consider it a upgrade to my car...
And really, if they put it in the upgrade section and you pay for it there and get to book the appointment, it wouldn't be that farfetched...

• Informative
Reactions: PatrickCH4313
AP2.5/MCU 1 people got the email when they were eligible, they are the first group, and could make appointments immediately. I would assume (lol) that others with later timeframes that you would get an update email. But I see your point. Who knows where MCU1/AP2.0 or foreign ones will be notified.

I can tell you it will most likely be an email. This is not an 'upgrade' in the app or on the webpage. I did what it said, make an appointment. All you need to know is when the process is ready for your configuration, and they seem to be using email.

Now, is that configuration even completed (available at all in any form) for other (AP2.0, etc.)? Who knows, with Fremont somewhat shut down.

What configuration DO you have? The first group was AP2.5/MCU 1 (like mine), if you are in that and got refused, that's extremely weird. All they told me was that they had to order the parts and it might move the appointment out if they didn't arrive, but they did.

Boaterva

Did you get the upgrade? I was parked right behind you at Tyson's for my upgrade. Tesla offered me the upgrade as a possible solution to my continued voice command issues and I took them up on it. I scheduled service on march 3rd. Took it in on the 17th. Tesla totally botched my car up, gave it back to me and said they have to order parts.

I'm back to don't call us we will call you. Parts on order an nothing but Crickets from Tesla. With all the shut downs who knows when we will see it now. I see another post for one done in Rockville.

Boaterva

Did you get the upgrade? I was parked right behind you at Tyson's for my upgrade. Tesla offered me the upgrade as a possible solution to my continued voice command issues and I took them up on it. I scheduled service on march 3rd. Took it in on the 17th. Tesla totally botched my car up, gave it back to me and said they have to order parts.

I'm back to don't call us we will call you. Parts on order an nothing but Crickets from Tesla. With all the shut downs who knows when we will see it now. I see another post for one done in Rockville.
Did I get the upgrade? I’ve posted about it several times and see my signature. :D Went perfectly. Maybe their quota is one a day, lol.

Seems to be weird that sometimes they have all the parts and it’s seamless and other times they mess it up, sorry yours was one of the latter!

As for the ‘upgrade’ section of the app, that seems to be solely for things you can order and have installed immediately like the model 3 performance boost. Not hardware installs, like this one. Right? This one has always required an appointment as the original email said.

After getting the MCU2 upgrade, only issue I’ve noticed is:
- much darker rear view camera picture at night (already mentioned)

- cannot unlock the car from the Tesla app. Can flash lights, unlock charge port, vent windows, but cannot open frunk/trunk or unlock the car. The icon in the mobile app changes to unlocked, but nothing happens on the car itself.

Did all the usual things like unpair the phone, reinstall the app, etc, but didn’t help.

Anyone else have this issue after the upgrade? I mean it doesn’t seem to be related to MCU but then again it started when I got my car back. Maybe it’s some setting in the car that I’m unaware of...

I had trouble connecting to my main WiFi router at home from the day I purchased the car... After arriving home with the upgrade and setting up the password, the car connected to the main router just fine and started fetching the navigation map update! :)

When we had AP3 HW put in our 3, it reverted to older maps. The first time it hooked to WiFi it pulled down the 2019-20 version that it had previously been on for a long time.

After getting the MCU2 upgrade, only issue I’ve noticed is:
- much darker rear view camera picture at night (already mentioned)

I drove our 3 at night last night. Fist time since AP HW3 upgrade. It was also much darker.