Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting the MCU2 upgrade, only issue I’ve noticed is:
- much darker rear view camera picture at night (already mentioned)

- cannot unlock the car from the Tesla app. Can flash lights, unlock charge port, vent windows, but cannot open frunk/trunk or unlock the car. The icon in the mobile app changes to unlocked, but nothing happens on the car itself.

Did all the usual things like unpair the phone, reinstall the app, etc, but didn’t help.

Anyone else have this issue after the upgrade? I mean it doesn’t seem to be related to MCU but then again it started when I got my car back. Maybe it’s some setting in the car that I’m unaware of...

i DIDNT have the MCU upgrade...yet...but did have this issue after they replaced my IC under warranty. I emailed my service center. They had me park my car in an area where it had good LTE or WiFi and they pushed a
“Service” reboot. It took about 20 minutes for the car to come back to life. And everything worked as normal after that.

Interesting, other SCs have been telling people that there is no partial cost upgrade for an in-warranty MCU1. The warranty only covers replacing what is in the car. If you want MCU2 it costs the full $2,500.
We all know how service to service center things can be. I’m guessing it’s a supply and demand type of thing. The tech told me that they don’t have nearly as many mcu1’s as most would think. He said that it could take him upwards of two weeks to get his hand on one whereas he has mcu2’s on hand. This could be a supply thing because of all the upgrades they’re doing for the newer AP cars.

Did I get the upgrade? I’ve posted about it several times and see my signature. :D Went perfectly. Maybe their quota is one a day, lol.

Seems to be weird that sometimes they have all the parts and it’s seamless and other times they mess it up, sorry yours was one of the latter!

As for the ‘upgrade’ section of the app, that seems to be solely for things you can order and have installed immediately like the model 3 performance boost. Not hardware installs, like this one. Right? This one has always required an appointment as the original email said.

Mind blowing how they can screw it up. Everything I had said Infotainment upgrade and matched the Email exactly. I think the service adviser didn't have a clue one what it was and assumed I was getting MCU replaced. You would think they enter the item and it would auto-populate the bill of materials to do the job. I knew there was an issue when I checked in and he said no we are NOT replacing the FSD computer.

Reactions: boaterva
Yea, that's definitely me. The SC hasn't officially accepted the appointment yet, so I don't have a work order to see pricing (even though I know what its going to be).

Service center accepted my appointment, I received the quote as expected that includes both the MCU upgrade and AP3 upgrade. Everything looks as it should.

Glad I went back and rescheduled on my own, else I would still be here waiting. Still can't believe internal communications at Tesla are so broken that they don't know how to align to corporate messaging. Well, scratch that, I can believe it. Just frustrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I was told by service that IF our mcu1 dies before our vin comes up we’d have the option if 1)upgrading to mcu2 by paying $1100 out of pocket if under warranty. Or 2)paying $2500 out of pocket if not under warranty.
Otherwise the mcu1 ap1/no AP cars will be last to be offered the upgrade. They said maybe 6 months from now. (This was what I was told a week ago)
I just had my dead MCU1 (AP1) replaced last week. I asked about MCU2 and was told it couldn't be done.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
i DIDNT have the MCU upgrade...yet...but did have this issue after they replaced my IC under warranty. I emailed my service center. They had me park my car in an area where it had good LTE or WiFi and they pushed a
“Service” reboot. It took about 20 minutes for the car to come back to life. And everything worked as normal after that.

Thank you! Will do!

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-24_9-57-16.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-24_9-57-16.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 110
I really wonder how internal Tesla comms works. Emails? A bulletin board people are supposed to read? What? Because the non-up-to-date-ness we all run into is insane. And the amount of pushback is also insane when we tell them this is what the mothership TOLD us. :D

You would actually think it would be more efficient and cohesive than a traditional car maker since it is all one company.

After getting the MCU2 upgrade, only issue I’ve noticed is:
- much darker rear view camera picture at night (already mentioned)

- cannot unlock the car from the Tesla app. Can flash lights, unlock charge port, vent windows, but cannot open frunk/trunk or unlock the car. The icon in the mobile app changes to unlocked, but nothing happens on the car itself.

Did all the usual things like unpair the phone, reinstall the app, etc, but didn’t help.

Anyone else have this issue after the upgrade? I mean it doesn’t seem to be related to MCU but then again it started when I got my car back. Maybe it’s some setting in the car that I’m unaware of...

Your service center forgot to place the mcu_commands_key file back in /var/etc/

Would you please tell me what to tell them (idiot-proof)?

Just tell them what you wrote about the app earlier. They should figure it out. If not, you can mention "someone said that the mcu_commands_key file is wrong or missing which could be the issue", but they'll likely try to get tesla engineering involved which will delay your solution and force them to have your car longer ...

I really wonder how internal Tesla comms works. Emails? A bulletin board people are supposed to read? What? Because the non-up-to-date-ness we all run into is insane. And the amount of pushback is also insane when we tell them this is what the mothership TOLD us. :D

How long was your car in the shop?

You got me but it ain't working. I just texted Tesla back to see if the parts are in, and they replied within a minute " that ticket has been closed out" :mad::mad::mad:

So I start the whole process over took pictures of the ticket number and the description of all the work they didn't do. Then the App freezes when I go to pick the location. :mad: I re-entered the service request for the infotainment upgrade yet again and it locks up again, but my email starts pinging from Tesla. :mad:o_O

The email from them says to have the car at Tyson's tomorrow morning for the upgrade, use the touch-less check in. :rolleyes:

Who knows who is doing what there but it is getting ridiculous trying to communicate.

I haven't seen it posted from anyone who has been upgraded. Does the MCU-2 improve customer service??;)