Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just changed my Service Center location to Alpharetta to see if I get a similar response.

Yours is an AP2. They have started to any as of yet. I suspect if you pick an end of April you Kay get a better result because they will triage your request closer to that date and it should show that it is available for your VIN then.

• Disagree
Reactions: boonedocks
Yours is an AP2. They have started to any as of yet. I suspect if you pick an end of April you Kay get a better result because they will triage your request closer to that date and it should show that it is available for your VIN then.
Both of his vehicles, 75D made in Dec 2017 and a Raven (which already has MCU2), would have HW2.5, correct?

"SP+L 2019 "Raven" +FSD +"19 Sonic Carbon
X75D December 2017: Obsidian Black 22" Onyx wheels every option except 3rd row seating FSD purchased 3-1-2019."

And from another Metro Atlanta ServiceCenter:

Image 3-27-20 at 2.00 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948

View attachment 526446

Both times when I went to schedule service I couldn't get past the first stage because they kept telling me my car was ineligible and my VIN wasn't showing as qualified. They seemed to do the same with you by looking at HW3 and not MCU2. As soon as I sent them the webpage that said my configuration was eligible they passed it along to the service center (since mobile is the default option) and the service center accepted it right away for immediate install.

Just got it back now! Loving the responsiveness!

Also less crashes in recent weeks as less people are driving? (car insurance companies must be doing well with less driving miles ... statistically less payouts)
time from crash to salvage to dismantler yard could be enwhere from a few months to a year. So all this less driving stuff is not having any impact for quite some time.
I just saw a model3 crashed in 2017 making it's way to copart finally...

Anyone know If my MCU1 fails on a car under warranty will they replace it with an MCU1 or MCU2? Wondering if they would take the opportunity to improve the cars of just install an equivalent or offer a reduced price for MCU2?

Cheers

Warranty work will be MCU1. If you vehicle qualifies and I you are ready to dish out $2500, you will get MCU2...

The question is would you take the opportunity to improve your user experience by paying $2500 to upgrade to MCU2 regardless if you're in the warranty or not (assuming your VIN qualifies for MCU2 Infotainment Upgrade)?

View attachment 526446

I dont know of anyone that got an official invitation email specially for them to get the upgrade (please correct me if some of you did). Others like myself got the general email that described the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade program and it stated that they were “now scheduling” for cars with MCU1/HW2.5/FSD to get the upgrade.

Based on that initial (not specific to me) email I scheduled and got the upgrade. I just went into the app and scheduled service for the 1st date available and selected “interior” then “touchscreen” then typed in “MCU2 Infotainment upgrade” In the description. I got scheduled, and they did both the MCU2 (MCU and IC) and the HW3 upgrade without question. Total was $2,500+tax. So I dont know if anyone is actually getting invites.

Both times when I went to schedule service I couldn't get past the first stage because they kept telling me my car was ineligible and my VIN wasn't showing as qualified. They seemed to do the same with you by looking at HW3 and not MCU2. As soon as I sent them the webpage that said my configuration was eligible they passed it along to the service center (since mobile is the default option) and the service center accepted it right away for immediate install.

Just got it back now! Loving the responsiveness!

Do you have a screen shot of what that looks like?

I got in touch with the Scottsdale AZ service center folks. They have not yet started doing AP3 upgrades for Model S, with or without MCU2 upgrade, and promised to let me know when.

Has anyone gotten an AP3 upgrade to a Model S via Tesla Mobil service? I have been told that it is feasible, unlike for the M3, because for the Model S there is no liquid coolant component, only fans. The Range/Mobile Service folks don’t do anything that involves liquids.

Thanks for the information about upgrade experiences on this thread - I am all in for paying the $2500 when it is my turn (I paid $3k for FSD when I purchased my Model S, it is a 2018 with AP2.5 and MCU1). I would be happy to sacrifice the AM/FM radio functionality, Tunein radio will be fine.

I dont know of anyone that got an official invitation email specially for them to get the upgrade (please correct me if some of you did). Others like myself got the general email that described the $2,500 MCU2 upgrade program and it stated that they were “now scheduling” for cars with MCU1/HW2.5/FSD to get the upgrade.

Based on that initial (not specific to me) email I scheduled and got the upgrade. I just went into the app and scheduled service for the 1st date available and selected “interior” then “touchscreen” then typed in “MCU2 Infotainment upgrade” In the description. I got scheduled, and they did both the MCU2 (MCU and IC) and the HW3 upgrade without question. Total was $2,500+tax. So I dont know if anyone is actually getting invites.

My email was specific:

"Purchase the Infotainment Upgrade today for $2,500 plus applicable tax to add in-car video streaming, Caraoke, additional Tesla Arcade games and future functionality to your Model S touchscreen*.

Schedule an appointment for purchase and installation using the Tesla app. Select 'Accessories' then ‘Upgrades & Installations’ from the Schedule Service menu and enter ‘Infotainment Upgrade’ in the description.

As an owner with Full Self-Driving configured, you'll also receive the complimentary new Full Self-Driving Computer during your installation.

If you don’t purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, we will contact you when the Full Self-Driving Computer is available for your configuration."

When I scheduled I received a confirmation I think almost the next day with the estimate (2500 + tax). They also knew that I received the email invitation at drop off and confirm I was the first one that actually got the invitation they have seen but not the first that got the update. Robotpedlr I think you are the first at the Bellevue SC if you did it there base on the date you posted of your appointment. I was second or third from what the service rep told me.