Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An added bonus is that they replaced the center screen (and I think the cluster screen too?) so the "yellowing border" problem I was having with the center screen was also fixed.

Note: It's not an added bonus. The $2500 Infotainment Upgrade has always included a new MCU2 and IC2 screens. They replace them as part of the upgrade package that you purchase for $2500.

Well, just my opinion, but actually a bit disturbing to me that so many people ignore the best advice to stay at home in order to go get an update that isn't really that important to using the car. They just want the latest greatest think and don't care about the possibility of infecting themselves or others. And yes, they will come up with every excuse in the world as to why they think it is not a problem. Frankly, I would be ok to see Tesla NOT perform any unnecessary upgrades until after this virus situation has settled for awhile.

I agree. I was scheduled to get my upgrade done today but I’ve pushed out a couple of weeks to mid-April due to COVID-19. I felt like kind of a dick getting it done during these times. We’ll see if I keep my appointment or push it out farther.

I agree. I was scheduled to get my upgrade done today but I’ve pushed out a couple of weeks to mid-April due to COVID-19. I felt like kind of a dick getting it done during these times. We’ll see if I keep my appointment or push it out farther.
Good for you. I did the same. I'm pushing mine out to past July. I understand the desire to want to really get the update as it is a nice one, but I'm not willing to take even the smallest risk of getting infected or infecting others with the virus I could get and not know it. Perhaps in some areas it is not a big issue yet, and I can see some folks wanting to get it done. I'm baffled by the postings of some folks in high risk areas with stay at home restrictions that rush right down to get an update as soon as the email comes in.

Even in remote areas, by knowing a bunch of Tesla engineer / service people, and how they travel around to the bay area plant, I have some concern that even with me being in an area where there is not YET a substantial problem, I'm not going down there to interface with those guys. Best wishes for folks that can get the update done in areas of low risk.

Good for you. I did the same. I'm pushing mine out to past July. I understand the desire to want to really get the update as it is a nice one, but I'm not willing to take even the smallest risk of getting infected or infecting others with the virus I could get and not know it. Perhaps in some areas it is not a big issue yet, and I can see some folks wanting to get it done. I'm baffled by the postings of some folks in high risk areas with stay at home restrictions that rush right down to get an update as soon as the email comes in.

Even in remote areas, by knowing a bunch of Tesla engineer / service people, and how they travel around to the bay area plant, I have some concern that even with me being in an area where there is not YET a substantial problem, I'm not going down there to interface with those guys. Best wishes for folks that can get the update done in areas of low risk.

The process was completely contactless for me. Keys were exchanged via lockbox and wiped down with sanitary wipes between exchanges. All invoicing/approvals/payments were done via the app. All conversations via text. The only people I ever saw in the whole process were > 100 ft away and through windows in the building.

I never get significant glare on the IC, but the matte finish of the anti-fingerprint screen protector is totally worth it. NO MORE FINGERPRINTS! It does reduce clarity a TINY, TINY bit, but it's worth it for the anti-glare and anti-fingerprint coating.
Yes, absolutely agree. That fingerprint smudge this was driving me crazy cleaning it until I got the protector. Never noticed the prints after that. When you say you have no glare on the IC, I don't either. but do you have the new screen. It seems some folks think the new IC has more glare for some reason.

The S and X would really benefit from OLED screens. True blacks would reduce strain and provide jaw dropping visuals.

Yes, but OLED tech doesn't work well with screens that have static images like instrument clusters and vehicle UIs because of burn-in issues. OLEDs have come a long way in preventing burn-in, but I can't imagine you could completely eliminate burn-in the way Tesla uses their screens.

Yes, but OLED tech doesn't work well with screens that have static images like instrument clusters and vehicle UIs because of burn-in issues. OLEDs have come a long way in preventing burn-in, but I can't imagine you could completely eliminate burn-in the way Tesla uses their screens.

Or something with better local dimming. The S/X screen quality isn't all that great and the blacks seem more grey. The Model 3 seems to have a better quality display. Better screen tech would help give the S/X the premium class feel they deserve.

Re: AP 2.0 and MCU1 vehicle owners
Was it just our combination of the two above or has everyone's Tesla app (Android in my case) removed the 'Eligible Updates' section. Mine would show even if it was empty when I clicked on it.
Maybe just a general thing and they don't have time/ability with everything going on so they are delaying upgrades for all (or just the AP2.0+MCU1s).

Last edited:
Re: AP 2.0 and MCU1 vehicle owners

Was it just our combination of the two above or has everyone's Tesla app (Android in my case) removed the 'Eligible Updates' section. Mine would show even if it was empty when I clicked on it.

Maybe just a general thing and they don't have time/ability with everything going on so they are delaying upgrades for all (or just the AP2.0+MCU1s).

Everything was missing on my app this morning, including the Schedule Service option and a couple others. Restarted the app and now everything appears back the way it was.