Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The speed limit in a circle thing is a European convention as that is how speed limit signs are designated there. Is it possible the MCU software is incorrectly targeting a non-US region? I know first-hand how incorrectly installed firmware can completely mess with the visualizations.

I have no idea what this is doing, I'm pretty sure though that I have US. US is set in my gateway config, and I get firmware updates still. Perhaps the firmware defaults to EU AP in some odd bug if it can't find any GPS signal, not sure how mobileye is working here...

Not sure if this caused my center screen to go black, but recently new software 2020.12.5 installed through the phone app. App froze the install, center screen is now black.
2015 S 85D with AP1 and 88,000 miles. Multiple reboots and screen is still black. Bluetooth on the phone doesn’t recognize the car. Car drives fine, it still charges, but not turn signals (hazard button works), obviously no fan/AC/heat controls, no radio as all are center screen controlled. No controls work off the app, (even after delete and reinstall).

If I need a new MCU, can I get upgraded to MCU2?

appt set @ Tesla Service for 4/30/2020

Attachments

• 2BED1F32-BADD-48C4-9F5B-DE5857F0E641.png
    2BED1F32-BADD-48C4-9F5B-DE5857F0E641.png
    887.8 KB · Views: 125

I'm guessing out of warranty, so your options are

(1) Have Tesla replace your MCU1 with another MCU for $$.
(2) Wait until the Infotainment upgrade becomes available to you for $2500 and then go that option.

Note: Tesla does not replace MCU1 with MCU2 under warranty. MCU2 is only available as part of the Infotainment Upgrade and when your turn is up based on VIN.

Gasmiser1
Definitely sounds like your MCU just died like mine. (Early 2016 S). Mine went out Saturday morning, black screen, nothing worked besides basic driving capability. Car wouldn’t turn off and AC was blasting with no way to turn it off. Had to wait 4 days to get an appt so my car had been running in the garage since then. (AC fans going 24 hrs a day). Car is in service right now and I asked about just going ahead and upgrading to MCU 2 and they said that I could not at this time because they don’t have the parts for my particular build yet. (Said they only had parts for HW 2.5 and 3) Service guy suggested I wait to replace MCU until MCU2 is ready for me. Unfortunately that isn’t realistic (bc who knows when that will actually happen!) so I’m currently getting a remanufactured MCU1 ($1300 before labor and tax).

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Is there some site I can go to with my VIN to see when I’ll be able to get the upgrade to MCU2?

You can watch the Infotainment Upgrade page to see when your configuration starts to become eligible for the upgrade. But no you can't see exactly when your upgrade will be available. And you SC won't know either, they can only tell if it is currently eligible or not.

So only a remanufactured MCU?!
Might only last 3ish years. But then again, remanufactured MCU1 $1300 plus tax and labor? What’s the total??
verses MCU2 @ $2700 total (with tax and labor)

They have significantly reduced the logging so a replacement MCU should last longer than your old one. We don't know for sure how much longer, but it also comes with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty. (So 4 years is the minimum, but some people say that it should last about twice as long now, so almost 8 years.)

A replacement is about $1,600 all in, depending on your tax rate. The upgrade is $2,500+tax, labor is already included.

Last edited:
Reactions: gasmiser1
They have significantly reduced the logging so a replacement MCU should last longer than your old one. We don't know for sure, but it also comes with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty. (So 4 years is the minimum, but some people say that it should last about twice as long now, so almost 8 years.)

A replacement is about $1,600 all in, depending on your tax rate. The upgrade is $2,500+tax, labor is already included.
They have significantly reduced the logging so a replacement MCU should last longer than your old one. We don't know for sure, but it also comes with a 4-year unlimited mileage warranty. (So 4 years is the minimum, but some people say that it should last about twice as long now, so almost 8 years.)

yes I’m definitely hoping this remanufactured one lasts. It’s a bummer to buy it knowing that the MCU2 is likely just around the corner. Oh well. Total with tax and labor is looking like it’ll be a little under $1600 like you said. I’ll hopefully be getting the car back tomorrow so we will see how smooth it actually is.

yes I’m definitely hoping this remanufactured one lasts. It’s a bummer to buy it knowing that the MCU2 is likely just around the corner. Oh well. Total with tax and labor is looking like it’ll be a little under $1600 like you said. I’ll hopefully be getting the car back tomorrow so we will see how smooth it actually is.
—————————
How long was your car in the shop to replace the MCU?

The 2020.8.1 software update froze my 2014 Model S. I got black screen and it seems there is no way to reboot it. I'd love to install MCU2 but there seem to be no pieces here in Europe. I'm stuck with the sunroof open, so I really need to solve the problem quickly....

Not sure if this caused my center screen to go black, but recently new software 2020.12.5 installed through the phone app. App froze the install, center screen is now black.
2015 S 85D with AP1 and 88,000 miles. Multiple reboots and screen is still black. Bluetooth on the phone doesn’t recognize the car. Car drives fine, it still charges, but not turn signals (hazard button works), obviously no fan/AC/heat controls, no radio as all are center screen controlled. No controls work off the app, (even after delete and reinstall).

appt set @ Tesla Service for 4/30/2020

Worn our emmc (memory chips) often die during software upgrades. We offer a upgrade at very reasonable cost, and there is a good chance to recover all your data since the MCU failed recently. Please PM me if you want more details.

AP1 cars are probably not going to get upgraded to MCU2 anytime soon, Tesla recently changed the expected date of availability.

@Vh6852 Sounds like you also have a AP1 car?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Same thing happened to me. Black screen after attempted software update. S.C. said I could only upgrade to newer MCU1 as MCU2's aren't available for non AP cars and no idea when they might be. No mention of 'refurbished' vs 'new'. Total including 'diagnosis' $1652. 4 year warranty. New screen (which I dearly needed) & 4g so while disappointed, at least the wait is over.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus